Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2014, 21:46   #1

Newb q: thoughts 4 affordable comm/nav gadgets for sailing?

Hi all - im new to the idea of sailing and its left a childlike buzz inside so much that im trying to sell my 70's camaro to fund a boat. I have a friend who is experienced that can prob sail with me the first few weeks (i grew up on fishing boats so am well familiar with the majesty of the oceans!) - I might do some offshore/cross ocean sailing someday after ive fought thru a few storms and learnt some good survuval techniques -

Since im new - im curious as to what equipment you old sea dogs would recommend for say a trip from florida to caribbean..

ssb ham sounds like a sauce for a sandwich.. there are all kinds of gadgets these days - wondering if u chaps could break it down like say:

Navigation:
gps

Comms with nearby stations / boats:
ham (?)

Man over board:
blip-blip

that kind of thing - Im on a stringent budget and cant afford $4k hi tech radar systems. Id rather go buy 2 $300 gadgets from amazon.

Will garmin handheld GPS work ok with the right maps?? etc -

Thanks in advance!
fstarocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 22:15   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Newb q: thoughts 4 affordable comm/nav gadgets for sailing?

For basic electronics on the cheap, I would use a tablet in a waterproof case as a chart plotter. I would get two or three, though a smart phone will work in a pinch. A VHF radio will be needed, could be hand held though mounted with external antenna will have more watts.

Rather then ham or SSB, rent a Sat phone for ocean trips and return it when you get across. A PLB on the life jacket or spot is recommended too

Harness, tether and jack lines and you'll not need to worry too much about going overboard. If you go overboard, short handed, just figure your dead and don't go there. With a full crew your chances are higher of being recovered, but not a sure thing.

That and a good depth sounder and your good. Radar and AIS is nice, if your flush with cash.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 04:00   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Newb q: thoughts 4 affordable comm/nav gadgets for sailing?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, fstarocka.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing