Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2021, 13:09   #31
Marine Service Provider

Re: Non-firearm weapons on board.

Hornet and wasp spray for sure. A necessary item on a boat anyway. Molotov cocktails made from dinghy fuel and plastic water bottles. Common items on a boat.

Mexico is the the most restrictive in the Northern Hemisphere, at least any place warm that you would like to cruise. Most other places require that guns and ammo be kept on board under lock and key and never taken ashore. Some as mentioned will collect guns and ammo and return it to your boat when your clear out. This happened in the Cayman Islands. At Grand Cayman on a delivery gig we handed over all the owner's guns and ammo (he seemed a bit paranoid) at the dock and were told that upon three hours in advance of clearing out they would return the stash to the boat. They had a sign on the with other restricted item like spear-guns, handcuffs and shark-billies, which probably rules out baseball bats.

A US flag vessel with a US citizen master or operator may carry weapons onboard. However, in most states weapons must remain on board, except if in state where the master or operator is a resident and the weapons are registered in that person's name.
Old 28-02-2021, 14:01   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post
Montanan thank ou so much for your detailed explanations. And this is why I will never visit the US as the are definitively rotten like all so called "western" countries.

I was at JFK and th USVI once but it was reraly a pain to see the guys in uniform believing that their uniform marks rrthem as god-alike.

Btw. we do also have "supervised thinking" in the EU and degeneration goes on rapidly for a "brave new world" to overcome and US citicens leaving states like california.
Austria is the fourteenth highest civilian gun ownership in the world at 30 guns per 100 persons with an estimated 2,577,000 guns. The USA is by far the highest at 120 per 100 persons. with an estimated 393,347,000 civilian firearms, of which 1,073,743 are registered and 392,273,257 are unregistered.

Another data source indicates that as of 2019 there are 1,068,582 (or 12 per 100 people) registered firearms in Austria owned by 310,352 people (3.5% of population).

Not sure why you have a disrespectful attitude for our law enforcement officers, particularly at the airports, e.g. JFK. Our Transportation Security Administration are efficient and professional, handling millions of travellers without incident. Sure there are some LEOs who get a sense of an authority complex and attitude, but they are easy enough to straighten out with a challenging thought provoking remark, if they are being overbearing or inappropriate. The vast majority of the LEOs are sound and professional in their service to our communities.

If your attitude towards the LEOs is as biased and adverse as you state, I perceive you would not be welcomed by many Americans.

I recall being in line to enter the passenger gates of the airport when headed to New York City departing from Seattle in early 2002 [just a few months after 9/11, and a guy in line was complaining about the delay in getting through the security checkpoint, my wife loudly asked him, "Do you know of the Twin Towers?" He said: "Yes, of course." She responded: "They no longer exist!" That man and his attitude were shut down and made to feel really small. The crowd around us all chimed in with expressions like: "Damned Right" "Hey, if you don't like the procedures here, you can always drive to your destination." The TSA personnel took note of my wife's comments and thanked her when it was our turn to pass through security screening.

I always thank the TSA for their diligence when they complete their searches. Even when my luggage sets off explosive material sniffing devices because I have transported my luggage in the back of my pickup truck that I have also transported large quantities of dynamite and ANFO powder explosives. In prior years, I regularly told the TSA that my luggage will likely test positive for explosive residues before they run the tests and I preemptively give them permission to open the luggage to manually screen even before the tests indicated a positive presence. Today, I doubt my luggage would still have enough remaining contaminate residue on it to induce a positive test result, not having had need to purchase and transport explosives recently and I have found that it is easier to just have the explosives delivered instead of driving into town to purchase the explosives. Having my luggage set off the sensors for explosives was actually kind of comforting because there could have been only minor amounts of residue on the outside of my briefcase and luggage, so the machines were certainly working well. Its not like I had a stick of dynamite in the luggage.

This past year due to the pandemic, I have not traveled, whereas in previous years I travelled extensively out of Montana's smallish airports. One gets to know pretty much all the security personnel by first name and they also get to know you by first name, ditto with knowing most of the flight crews, pilots and attendants and with many of the passengers and the vendors at the coffee stands or the bartenders. Can't say the same for the large airports where one is unknown to the masses.
Old 28-02-2021, 14:28   #33

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Get a big bag of strong fine ground chilli powder.
In need of defense on deck, rip it open and chuck it in the face of the intruder.
Alternatively put some it in a large syringe, leave some air in it too.
You do not need a lot in it, some of the dust is enough when it reaches the face.
Reaches 2-3m and can even be filled when a location turns out dodgy.

Stay upwind doing this, or have goggles and mask at hand. Strong chilli powder needs only a very little amount to irritate severely. Be careful handling it.

I doubt customs would challenge you regarding your cooking ingredients.
Old 28-02-2021, 14:59   #34

Boat: Adams 31 aft cockpit

I often forget to dispose of my old flares (aging memory and all that).
Interestingly, offshore rocket flares can be used as incendiary RPGs at close to medium range. I would certainly not like to be hit by one or have one land in the cockpit...
Old 28-02-2021, 19:31   #35

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

One post has been deleted for rudeness.

If you guys want this thread to stay open, remember to follow all the posting rules, including the "be nice" one, and to be respectful with your posting. Slanging people will lead to closure.

JPA Cate, moderator
Old 28-02-2021, 19:52   #36

Location: Plaza Ignacio Antonio Liaño, Numero Dos -Primero Izquierda,Rota 11520 (CADIZ) SPAIN
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailing4Jesus

WONDERING: I am wondering if anyone has ever hooked up their House Batteries to the SS SAFETY LINES? At night is the time when many pirates attempt to sneak aboard. A heavy electrical SHOCK would in my unlearned experience certainly knock the would-be boarding pirate back into the water. As I said, I do not know if this is even a good idea. The only negative that I see is that the men aboard better be warned not to go peeing over the side at night, or they may get A Free Winnie Roast.
The Old Senior Chief USN, RETIRED
Old 28-02-2021, 20:02   #37

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing4Jesus View Post
WONDERING: I am wondering if anyone has ever hooked up their House Batteries to the SS SAFETY LINES? At night is the time when many pirates attempt to sneak aboard. A heavy electrical SHOCK would in my unlearned experience certainly knock the would-be boarding pirate back into the water. As I said, I do not know if this is even a good idea. The only negative that I see is that the men aboard better be warned not to go peeing over the side at night, or they may get A Free Winnie Roast.
The Old Senior Chief USN, RETIRED
How does Jesus feel about your plans for electrocuting his people?
Old 28-02-2021, 20:09   #38

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Funny how these threads seem to attract the insecure and socially inept so often.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Old 28-02-2021, 20:17   #39

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
My flare gun, bear spray and machete have never been questioned between Canada and Antigua.

Of course I didn't take any of them with me when I dove overboard to retrieve my dinghy that someone was taking off with.
Of course in the Caribbean they didn’t know what bear spray was.....just saying not many bears out in the Islands....
Old 28-02-2021, 20:22   #40

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

I use a high powered speargun, never had a problem in the Pacific with it, I do understand hopping around the Caribbean can be a problem with a speargun.
Old 28-02-2021, 21:12   #41

Boat: Caliber 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ess View Post
We know that firearms are banned are severely restricted most places . Apparently too, even some non- gun weapons are restricted too some types , some places. For example Ive heard that spearguns are not alloed in the Bahamas. So far I cant find any sort of country list of prohibited items. Anybody know of such? Imagine if one is planning to cruise to say 30 countries without knowing what might be confiscated, etc.
The best single source is noonsite.com. While it does not have a single section for weapons it has a weapon section for every countries. It tends to be fairly current
Old 28-02-2021, 23:02   #42

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post

A US flag vessel with a US citizen master or operator may carry weapons onboard. However, in most states weapons must remain on board, except if in state where the master or operator is a resident and the weapons are registered in that person's name.
Care to quote a legal document backing up the above? The last time I checked, a requirement to register weapons was illegal in the United States, and a right for self defense was not limited to the US citizens.

Always wondered what someone advocating for a wasp spray as a defensive solution would do after being shot in the abdomen?
Old 28-02-2021, 23:17   #43

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Guys, this thread is about non-firearms. For discussions on guns go and create the next of about a 1000 gun threads already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
Care to quote a legal document backing up the above? The last time I checked, a requirement to register weapons was illegal in the United States, and a right for self defense was not limited to the US citizens.

Always wondered what someone advocating for a wasp spray as a defensive solution would do after being shot in the abdomen?
Old 28-02-2021, 23:20   #44

Sorry Montana but your quoted figures for Austria are way wrong!!! See yourself the official statistics https://de.statista.com/statistik/da...n-oesterreich/
Figures have increased surprisingly in some areas but the impression you figures make is just not correct. Peace
In the 30+ years I have been sailing the Med and SE Asia I never saw a reason to be firearmed, just a oversize knive for the odd kokonuts was always sufficient!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Austria is the fourteenth highest civilian gun ownership in the world at 30 guns per 100 persons with an estimated 2,577,000 guns. The USA is by far the highest at 120 per 100 persons. with an estimated 393,347,000 civilian firearms, of which 1,073,743 are registered and 392,273,257 are unregistered.

Another data source indicates that as of 2019 there are 1,068,582 (or 12 per 100 people) registered firearms in Austria owned by 310,352 people (3.5% of population).

Not sure why you have a disrespectful attitude for our law enforcement officers, particularly at the airports, e.g. JFK. Our Transportation Security Administration are efficient and professional, handling millions of travellers without incident. Sure there are some LEOs who get a sense of an authority complex and attitude, but they are easy enough to straighten out with a challenging thought provoking remark, if they are being overbearing or inappropriate. The vast majority of the LEOs are sound and professional in their service to our communities.

If your attitude towards the LEOs is as biased and adverse as you state, I perceive you would not be welcomed by many Americans.

I recall being in line to enter the passenger gates of the airport when headed to New York City departing from Seattle in early 2002 [just a few months after 9/11, and a guy in line was complaining about the delay in getting through the security checkpoint, my wife loudly asked him, "Do you know of the Twin Towers?" He said: "Yes, of course." She responded: "They no longer exist!" That man and his attitude were shut down and made to feel really small. The crowd around us all chimed in with expressions like: "Damned Right" "Hey, if you don't like the procedures here, you can always drive to your destination." The TSA personnel took note of my wife's comments and thanked her when it was our turn to pass through security screening.

I always thank the TSA for their diligence when they complete their searches. Even when my luggage sets off explosive material sniffing devices because I have transported my luggage in the back of my pickup truck that I have also transported large quantities of dynamite and ANFO powder explosives. In prior years, I regularly told the TSA that my luggage will likely test positive for explosive residues before they run the tests and I preemptively give them permission to open the luggage to manually screen even before the tests indicated a positive presence. Today, I doubt my luggage would still have enough remaining contaminate residue on it to induce a positive test result, not having had need to purchase and transport explosives recently and I have found that it is easier to just have the explosives delivered instead of driving into town to purchase the explosives. Having my luggage set off the sensors for explosives was actually kind of comforting because there could have been only minor amounts of residue on the outside of my briefcase and luggage, so the machines were certainly working well. Its not like I had a stick of dynamite in the luggage.

This past year due to the pandemic, I have not traveled, whereas in previous years I travelled extensively out of Montana's smallish airports. One gets to know pretty much all the security personnel by first name and they also get to know you by first name, ditto with knowing most of the flight crews, pilots and attendants and with many of the passengers and the vendors at the coffee stands or the bartenders. Can't say the same for the large airports where one is unknown to the masses.
Old 28-02-2021, 23:32   #45

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Guys, this thread is about non-firearms. For discussions on guns go and create the next of about a 1000 gun threads already.
Where did you see the word “firearms” in the post you quoted?
Closed Thread