Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2013, 08:06   #1

Boat: Vagabond 52 staysail schooner
Norfolk-Beaufort ICW usual questions

Mast height from water is 63 ft. Waterline to deepest length of full keel is 6 ft 8. Our info sources indicate we are marginal on both ends. Can any kind soul confirm or correct the following assumptions?
1. Bridge clearance measures hi water to lowest bridge section.
2. The best we can do is follow charted depth indications.
3. We can make it.
gwbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 08:46   #2

Re: Norfolk-Beaufort ICW usual questions

1. Bridge height is to middle span at mean high water. There are differing opionions about whether any hanging lights are included. I assume it's to the girder and not the steel. In this stretch there is no significant lunar tide. The problems is that wind and rain can raise (or lower) water levels by 2ft+. You may have to wait several days for water heights to move to average. Height markers on bridges in this stretch are quite accurate. People worry about the '64 charted height of the Wilkerson but I think the Pungo Ferry bridge is as tight or tighter. Consider going around by Manteo to skip the Wilkeson (although there are some shallow stretches). The picture below is as we went under Pungo Ferry after we anchored for two days to let the water drop 18" .

2. Chart depths are not particularly accurate but ActiveCaptain tells you the problem areas. Look for the yellow markers on ActiveCaptain and read the comments. This stretch has relatively few shallow areas compared to farther south because they need to keep it dredged for the frequent barge traffic.

3. Yes. You can make it. I (and many others) do it with 64'. Is the 63' to the top of the mast or the top of antennas? If you have a windex up there, take it down in Norfolk so a bridge won't.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-11-13 at 11.39.55 AM.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	70303  
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 08:55   #3

I'm wondering about the 6-8 depth...? After research, I sailed the outside from Norfolk around with 6-5 draft and 64+ mast, but I'm kind of a wuss when it somes to that stuff....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 08:57   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

I've done it several times with 64' and 7' draft; use AC as previously noted and watch the bridge boards; I've had more room than a board said but never less…
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beaufort, icw