Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2016, 11:17   #16

Re: Ocracoke Inlet with 5'6" draft?

Don't even think about it....!!
sailcarib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:44   #17

Boat: Tollycraft 44CPMY

After reading all the great input here, and talking with Paul at the Hatteras TowBoat station, I'm thinking that ice cream stop in Morehead City sounds like a plan! I'll save Ocracoke inlet for another day in a shallower draft vessel.

I'm now planning to run to Sea Gate marina on Adams Creek for the night, and then on to Ocracoke. Any estimates on how long to budget for that run if I keep it around 10 knots once into the sound?

Much appreciation to all for the feedback and suggestions.
bluwtrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:04   #18

If you have the time would stay the nite in Oriental....across the Neuse River from exit out of Adams Creek...several good restaurants and cool Tiki Bar. Upon entrance to channel to Ocracoke..stay on the markers as the channel shifts in the winter... They installed a few cans to assist in the navigation. Good luck!!

Pete
sailcarib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:41   #19

Boat: Hunter, Passage 420, 42'

It's about 40NM from Oriental to Ocracoke, for us at 6.5 knots, about 5.5 hrs to the Big Foot channel entrance. You can use 9 Foot channel (we did last weekend with 5 ft draft) but there are close spots at both ends. If you use Big Foot be aware that the ferries do too and they don't have much wiggle room so call them on 13 if you encounter one or two.

It's also a good idea to look at the NOAA web site as there is an area around red 10A that changes often and is quite narrow (last sounding was late May 2016). Best not to go through without the latest chart update. DO NOT try to enter this area with a ferry in there, it is not wide enough to pass.
Ocracoke is a beautiful town and much to see and do, enjoy!
onewadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:37   #20

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I thought your Hatteras was good for more than 10 knots. We came up from Beaufort a few weeks ago and once we got into the sounds it was 25k most of the way and were in Coinjock for dinner (I wasn't paying the fuel bills).
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 13:21   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewadd View Post
It's about 40NM from Oriental to Ocracoke, for us at 6.5 knots, about 5.5 hrs to the Big Foot channel entrance. You can use 9 Foot channel (we did last weekend with 5 ft draft) but there are close spots at both ends. If you use Big Foot be aware that the ferries do too and they don't have much wiggle room so call them on 13 if you encounter one or two.

It's also a good idea to look at the NOAA web site as there is an area around red 10A that changes often and is quite narrow (last sounding was late May 2016). Best not to go through without the latest chart update. DO NOT try to enter this area with a ferry in there, it is not wide enough to pass.
Ocracoke is a beautiful town and much to see and do, enjoy!

Thanks for the info onewadd. We plan to stop in Oriental on our way back south in late fall. Looking fwd to that stop.
Thanks in particular for the tips on the channel options and the area around 10A. I'll be sure to get the latest update on that area.
Ocracoke was my family's summer and New Years escape for most of my children's lives at home. It has a special place in our memories. This will however, be our first time coming by boat. It's something I've looked forward to for a lot of years.
Old 08-06-2016, 13:27   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I thought your Hatteras was good for more than 10 knots. We came up from Beaufort a few weeks ago and once we got into the sounds it was 25k most of the way and were in Coinjock for dinner (I wasn't paying the fuel bills).

Haha Don! She's good for more, but my wallet isn't! If I could con someone into picking up the fuel on the crossing, I'd stretch her out good!
Old 08-06-2016, 13:28   #23

Boat: Bristol 47.7 1985

A little under 50 miles from Sea Gate to Ocracoke. You obviously bear east or NE coming out of Adams Creek but cannot cut that corner too close even in power boat. Shoal to starboard coming out of Adams Creek. I would go on up to Oriental or River Dunes if you want to walk for a meal.
evbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 13:39   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '87 Irwin 43

FWIW - couple years ago we passed an outbound ferry port to port with us in bound to Ocracoke and had plenty of room in a Saga 40 drawing 6' I think. Coordinated with the ferry on VHF who was going what and it worked fine. FWIW...
malyea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
draft, ocracoke