Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2016, 06:16   #1

Boat: Tollycraft 44CPMY
Ocracoke Inlet with 5'6" draft?

Hello all,
I'm planning a trip northward in about a week from Southport NC to Ocracoke and trying to confirm whether I should enter at Beaufort or Ocracoke Inlet. I would prefer Ocracoke Inlet if there's enough water and accurate markers into Teaches Hole Channel. I've been digging around on several forums but haven't found any recent dialogues on the subject. Tends to make me wonder if that's because no-one is taking that route? Any shared knowledge will be greatly appreciated!
bluwtrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:28   #2

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Re: Ocracoke Inlet with 5'6" draft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluwtrman View Post
Hello all,
I'm planning a trip northward in about a week from Southport NC to Ocracoke and trying to confirm whether I should enter at Beaufort or Ocracoke Inlet. I would prefer Ocracoke Inlet if there's enough water and accurate markers into Teaches Hole Channel. I've been digging around on several forums but haven't found any recent dialogues on the subject. Tends to make me wonder if that's because no-one is taking that route? Any shared knowledge will be greatly appreciated!
It's been a couple of years since I have been through there, but last time I was through there was a bar extending off the tip of the island that was less than 5 feet at 2 hours before high tide. It was only that shallow for about 100 feet. The tip of the Island has been extending southwestward the bar is the underwater extension of the tip of the Island. Unless someone else has more recent data or you can get recent local knowledge from another source I would not recommend it with your draft. Also since the channel is uncharted due to frequent shifts, if you do attempt it be very careful that you choose the correct route through. The channel has some very abrupt U shaped bends with the next marker sometimes 90 degrees or more from the marker you are at and another marker dead ahead. If you don't make the turn and head for the dead ahead marker you could end up in a foot of water.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:28   #3

Boat: Formosa 41

If you don't get a satisfactory answer here you could call TowBoatUS. Here's a link that might help:

About Us

ETA: Hadn't seen Captain Bill's good advice.

Also, don't worry about ending up in a foot of water. You'll probably never make it that far.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:47   #4

Boat: Tollycraft 44CPMY

Thanks for that Jason. I did contact the local coast guard station and they essentially gave me their "packaged" answer. I hand't thought about TowBoat. I'll see what they can offer.
bluwtrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:19   #5

Boat: 1984 Catalina 36

I would love to know what you find out. It has been a good 20 years since I would use that inlet. That was in a boat that drew 6.5 feet.

Beaufort is very easy and safe in most any weather, or in the dark.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:41   #6

Wilmington District > Missions > Navigation > Hydrographic Surveys > Side Channels Small Harbors

Recent survey may be helpful.
Garrick Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:57   #7

Boat: Endeavour 42 CC Katash

I would suggest going in at Beaufort, then Adams Creek over to the Neuse River and the Pamlico Sound. Stop in at Oriental and stay a few days, then trek northward up the sound. Go in at the north end of Ocracoke island at the Ferry entrance. You usually can see a ferry and follow it in, but it is well marked. When you get close to the entrance of Silver Lake, follow the markers as they change colors, and follow your chartplotter. I think offshore entrance is too risky for your draft. Getting ready to go there in July myself.
pwmullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:10   #8

Boat: Bristol 47.7 1985

Would only come in at Ocracoke with that draft following a local fisherman at highest water. We draw 5' and given the shifting of the inlet and the way the tide flows thru there, we do not view it worth the risk.
evbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:17   #9

Does adams creek have 6+ feet all the way from Beaufort to Neuse??
Oldhippiesailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:28   #10

Boat: Hunter, Passage 420, 42'

My home port is Oriental and we have been all around this area. I agree that Ocracoke inlet is risky for anything over 4 foot. There are fishing (large Sport Fishers) in and out daily but these Captains know the inlet well and the best times. Beaufort inlet is very easy and the trip up the ICW through Adams Creek a beautiful and easy trip. About 4 hours to Oriental from Beaufort and 6 foot, no problem. You would enjoy a few days in Oriental if you have the time and then head to Ocracoke about 6-7 hours away. PM me if I can answer any questions.

onewadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:31   #11

This recent survey might be helpful. It highlights what the other posters are saying.

Wilmington District > Missions > Navigation > Hydrographic Surveys > Inlets-Crossings
Old 03-06-2016, 08:55   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '87 Irwin 43

Here's two articles in Southwinds magazine I wrote after our Outer Banks charter a couple years ago. I also had wanted to transit Ocracoke Inlet but research indicated anything over 4' draft would scrape/ground.... didn't try it.

Great area to sail/visit/enjoy!

http://www.southwindsmagazine.com/pd...sapril2013.pdf

http://www.southwindsmagazine.com/pd...bruary2013.pdf
malyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:57   #13

Wilmington District > Missions > Navigation > Hydrographic Surveys > Inlets-Crossings

Recent survey that might be helpful.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:24   #14

Boat: Catalina 400

We're slipped near the mouth of the Neuse,
and sail across the Pamlico Sound to Ocracoke frequently.

I won't transit that inlet even with our 5' draft.

Can't rely on the channel, currents + potential bar-wave action too risky.
It is a fun joy-ride in a 26' Center Console fishing boat, but not in a sloop.

Beaufort Inlet is your friend.
Stop at the town docks, get some homemade ice cream at the General Store.
SoundWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:40   #15

Boat: Bristol 47.7 1985

yes Adams Creek fine to Neuse although don't cut the corner when you come out into Neuse. Follow markers there. Best to go into Beaufort Inlet and Newport River on incoming. Then when you are halfway up Adams Creek, tide is not an issue.
evbeck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
draft, ocracoke