Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2015, 07:45   #91

Re: Open sea, what do you use for Navigation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Littlechay, which McMurdo are you using? Any comments? I haven't purchased an alternative to the Lifetags yet, but the idea that a MOB would register on a nearby vessel, besides my own, is appealing. If someone goes in the drink, I want to pull them out as rapidly as I can.
The S20 Smartfind. Self installed on our lifejacket/harnesses

My rational is that in remote areas self rescue is the name of the game and especially in cooler (cold) waters when speed is necessary then the AIS system (or one of the other lifetags type systems) give you the best chance of pulling your mate out of the water alive. A PLB will raise the alert to a wider audience but it takes time and if your remote then will only help them to find the floating body.

Of course they are no use if not worn. We sail as a couple and always wear lifejackets on deck at night and we have system (more or less) of when we wear lifejackets during the day depending on conditions.

Chris
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:31   #92

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Thank you Littlechay. The Lifetag was a serious option to nothing previous, but with the advent of AIS, there are now ways to spread the emergency response to a MOB possibility. Like the Lifetag, it is immediate and local, unlike an EPIRB system. It will be interesting to see how the market evolves for products such as these.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:12   #93

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
My GPS is on a separate breaker, as is the radar, AIS, VHF, etc so I can shut down what I do not need. I enjoy sailing with out all the gizmo's
Are you using the term "GPS" to mean "chart plotter"? If so, that is entirely different with regards to power usage. Typically, "GPS" means the actual GPS receiver, which feeds data to a chart plotter and other instruments. These use very little power and just sit there unnoticed unless one looks at an instrument that is displaying data from it.

I understand if you like sailing without all the gizmo's, but it seems easier to just not look at any gizmos. For example, most of the time our depth sounder data is useless to us, but we don't go pulling the plug on it - we just don't look at it.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:42   #94

Boat: a sailing boat

When considering radar detectors / active reflectors, make sure what you want to use detects / reflects the new generation radars (3G / 4G / broadband things, etc.) as well.

I did some Internet research maybe two years ago and the radar things mentioned above did not work with the new radars at that point. Maybe they have improved the designs by now. I do not know.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 13:50   #95
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Are you using the term "GPS" to mean "chart plotter"? If so, that is entirely different with regards to power usage. Typically, "GPS" means the actual GPS receiver, which feeds data to a chart plotter and other instruments. These use very little power and just sit there unnoticed unless one looks at an instrument that is displaying data from it.

I understand if you like sailing without all the gizmo's, but it seems easier to just not look at any gizmos. For example, most of the time our depth sounder data is useless to us, but we don't go pulling the plug on it - we just don't look at it.

Mark
Yes, my GPS (the one I look at) is attached to a chartplotter. Actually, I have one in my abandonship bag, one in the AIS, one in the inReach and one in the chartplotter. And you were asking me why I turn my stuff off? .
Maybe this is like solo sailing... I do turn stuff off because I am out there to enjoy the ocean and the sounds and sights it brings. Turning the VHF may be illegal, but it does go off on occasion. As does the depth sounder. Radar up in fog, AIS when I have a chart up. So I guess I use my tools when I need them, IMHO.
And no I don't need the electrons, 200W of solar do quite well for my modest diet. May add more, but don't really need it right now.
Have always seen the ships coming towards me, but then they say you never see the bullet with your name on it.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:01   #96

I use opencpn.

Download OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Also own a Garmin chart plotter. They charge $$$$$ for new maps. I always have opencpn running. Have tried a few apps on iPhone. But nothing awesome like opencpn.
karle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 13:33   #97

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
When considering radar detectors / active reflectors, make sure what you want to use detects / reflects the new generation radars (3G / 4G / broadband things, etc.) as well.

I did some Internet research maybe two years ago and the radar things mentioned above did not work with the new radars at that point. Maybe they have improved the designs by now. I do not know.

Cheers,
b.
Why bother since many seem to turn it off anyway?
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 14:52   #98

Boat: Pearson 34-II

"I enjoy sailing with out all the gizmo's and I am sure that I am strange because I will sail the boat sometimes with nothing on but the wind and the tuned sails- the helm balanced and the boat taking care of herself. That is fine when I am awake, alert and tied into my cockpit." S/V Beth

Hardly "strange" at all. Your reasons for sailing and the appreciation you have for the intimate connection between yourself and the sea do not need electronic gadgetry to feel safe or to validate your experience. . . quite the opposite. You enjoy the primal and existential bond you feel between yourself and the sea in a way most cannot appreciate. I can assure you . . . you are in good company. Good luck and good sailing.

Tags
navigation