Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2018, 09:54   #1

other charts for garmin

Hello sailors
I would like to know if its possible to run a third party chart( downloaded in microSD memory card)in a garmin 78 gps?
thankyou
maldhorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:15   #2

Re: other charts for garmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldhorror View Post
Hello sailors
I would like to know if its possible to run a third party chart( downloaded in microSD memory card)in a garmin 78 gps?
thankyou
I just received a Garmin GMSMAP 64 from Santa, and I have had the same question.

So far the answer is, not really. Specifically - that it's not possible to directly load electronic maps of other formats into the Garmin.

There is an 'official' way to scan and import scanned maps, and there are some 3rd-party software (eg Maptiler) that simplify the process and can also convert other raster-format files.

There are some crowd-sourced maps out there too, but I haven't yet found a marine one that would immediately load.

Since my wife Santa was so thoughtful in giving me this gift, I spent the extra $$ to get the offishul Garmin BlueChart SD card marine chart - I got a sale price at the Toronto Boat Show, and there are some online retailers that will sell them below MSRP. Not cheap, but up-to-date, and saves me hours of scanning and futzing.
Lake-Effect is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts, garmin