Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2019, 11:16   #1

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’
overuse of AIS

AIS is a great tool to enhance safety but it's so overused that it is becoming "The boy that cried wolf". Enter a harbor and we get constant alarms from boats tied to a dock and from those heading to and from the fuel dock. We head to a beach to anchor for a swim. Before dropping the hook, we have to clear several alarms set off because we came too close to other vessels. How close? It's a beach area with maybe 50 - 100 boats with several anchored within shouting distance. Of course we're close, it's a crowded area. As with most new toys, the owner's like to play with them. However, AIS has no place in a crowded harbor or anchorage. Turn it on in bad weather, at night, or other times when nav lights are appropriate, not during bright daylight in the harbor, beach areas, or other crowded sections.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 11:26   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: overuse of AIS

How about turning your’s off?
My alarms are adjustable
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 11:29   #3

Can you turn off your receiver when you don't want alarms?
Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 11:57   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Our alarms are adjustable for distance of target, speed of target, etc.

-Chris
Old 29-07-2019, 14:34   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Mathis View Post
. We head to a beach to anchor for a swim. Before dropping the hook, we have to clear several alarms set off because we came too close to other vessels.

Wouldn't it be simpler to turn your AIS off in that situation?

If you are clearing the alarms and leaving yours on, you are part of the problem.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 14:41   #6
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Agree with the others, this is user error. Filter out moored/anchored boats or shut it off if that is too much to be bothered with. My AIS is on when anchored so that you see me in front of me on your screen as well as my anchor light in the real world
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 15:28   #7

Boat: Westerly Sealord

The OP should turn his off.....simples.... and so should all the other boats in the marina that are just sitting. Its either a look at me, look at me issue or they just don't know where the on/off switch is.....

Remote area, dark or fog, different matter.......
Old 29-07-2019, 15:46   #8

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

The challenge I find is in really high traffic areas during reduced visibility. I was in NYC recently with fog setting in. Loads of traffic, loads of alarms, and poor vis. We reduced the guard distance as much as possible and silenced audible alarms.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 19:09   #9
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
The challenge I find is in really high traffic areas during reduced visibility. I was in NYC recently with fog setting in. Loads of traffic, loads of alarms, and poor vis. We reduced the guard distance as much as possible and silenced audible alarms.
On a recent passage I noticed the settings that Carnival Cruises uses: TCPA <=30min and CPA <=1.5nm
We played chicken with them
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 19:14   #10

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Check your system. On the Vesper I can simply click (from the phone or ipad chartplotter) to select "anchor", "harbour", "coastal", "offshore". The settings for each of these situations are configurable. When you go in to a harbour, set it to "harbour". Once anchored, set it to "anchor" (and you would be in the same app to be turning on the anchor alarm as you drop it anyway). I've never had to "clear several alarms off".

My AIS is on at all times when the boat is under command, as is the AIS of most boats (and all commercial boats) in my local harbour. If you're getting annoying alarms then it's your setup not others that's at fault.

If you just "turn AIS off" then you're removing all the advantages that AIS gives you (and others). Remember that your AIS never transmits an alarm -- it just transmits your position. If others want to have their systems set to warn then when they come near you, that's up to them.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 22:54   #11

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

On some boats the AIS shows moored with a red circle, no idea how to set this on my Raymarine AIS transceiver...

My AIS is always on, so I can look it up in marine traffic even when I am not on board and can be sure it is not cruising without me.

Tags
ais