Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2011, 15:17   #1

Boat: 1990 Caliber 38
Paper Charts

At the risk of re-opening a heated debate, a couple of weekends ago I learned why I carry paper charts even though I have a chartplotter. While exploring a new-to-me creek on the Magothy River (Chesapeake Bay) my chartplotter suddenly went nuts; first putting me in a swamp then returning me to my true location, then putting me more than a few yards from my known location, then putting in the middle of a roadway about 1/2 mile away. Fortunately before I began the exploration I reviewed the chart and kept it with me in the cockpit. Even though the chartplotter said I was on the highway it was comforting to be able to read the aids to navigation on the water, see the chart, and know that I was indeed in the channel and not on the hard.

From now on, even in familiar waters I will keep my trusty paper charts at hand.
KestrelBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 15:22   #2

Re: paper charts

Took the sportfisher I worked on out two weeks ago and the chart plotter fritzed out. Was ~30 miles offshore when it happened and needed to get out to some exact fishing grounds ~60 miles out. The only bad side was the other "captain" had no idea how to use manual navigation so I was doing all of it (legally you need two captains for trips of more than 12 hours). I always got paid more than that guy, now I get paid a lot more.

I always bring paper charts, keep a plot going, and record GPS position in addition to normal watch standing stuff. The passengers like it too because I can whip out the full charts and show them where we're going.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 15:35   #3
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by KestrelBuck View Post
At the risk of re-opening a heated debate, a couple of weekends ago I learned why I carry paper charts even though I have a chartplotter. While exploring a new-to-me creek on the Magothy River (Chesapeake Bay) my chartplotter suddenly went nuts; first putting me in a swamp then returning me to my true location, then putting me more than a few yards from my known location, then putting in the middle of a roadway about 1/2 mile away. Fortunately before I began the exploration I reviewed the chart and kept it with me in the cockpit. Even though the chartplotter said I was on the highway it was comforting to be able to read the aids to navigation on the water, see the chart, and know that I was indeed in the channel and not on the hard.

From now on, even in familiar waters I will keep my trusty paper charts at hand.

I am trying to form the habit of noting my coordinates every half hour. Maybe these stories will help remind me.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 16:52   #4

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We have two chart plotters and I still track our position on our paper charts. As the navigator, I believe you can't have too much information.
Old 21-10-2011, 07:44   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Paper Charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KestrelBuck View Post
Even though the chartplotter said I was on the highway it was comforting to be able to read the aids to navigation on the water, see the chart, and know that I was indeed in the channel and not on the hard.

G'Day Mate,

While I support your general position here, I've found that throwing potatoes overboard and seeing if they splash is a better way of determining whether I'm on the hard or afloat!

MEanwhile, we will continue to carry and use paper charts as well as our trusty (not!) laptop and open CPN, etc.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 21-10-2011, 07:56   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

Paper charts are useless. That's why we carry them. We are schizophrenic.

Seriously, if you think you do not need your paper chart oh just put it under some acrylic glass on your cabin table - decorative, and a great emergency plotter.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 08:19   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i keep charts and use them when i sail. i learned that way and cant break the habit--- but i do love my garmin--is old, but good.... even with the road signs in seas on gps--no sweat. only problem with paper is , in my boat, the tendency is for them to want to blow away --up and out of the cockpit......they are hard to read when they go into the water.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 08:20   #8

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

I remember the last time this was brought up.
Old 21-10-2011, 08:49   #9

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post

I remember the last time this was brought up.
Yep. See http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ups-16325.html
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 09:41   #10

Assuming you have used NOAA electronic data, what you should when navigating in U.S. waters, did you reported the issue to NOAA chart branch?

Tags
charts