Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2015, 16:31   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Piloting

An interesting article on "pilotage" as the Brits. put it.

10 classic pilotage mistakes in navigation…
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 17:48   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Piloting

Thanks for posting the article link. I went and viewed it. Found it interesting and it is long enough with good illustrations (photos) to be helpful to understanding the author's POV.

While watching it, I wondered how many casual sailors today would do what he recommends.

I grew up sailing without a GPS and with no Chartplotter at the helm. So what he recommends is more the "old school" approach (still valid) and yet I wonder how many of today's new sailors (who depend on GPS and chart plotter software etc.) would feel a need or comfortable or any skill level doing much of what he recommended (piloting, preparing a piloting chart or plan, referring to a "pilot book," taking bearings etc.).
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 18:53   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I also started sailing without instruments other than binoculars, hand bearing compass and paper charts. Its amazing how a bouy can hide behind a mast (g). Going into San Pedro Belize the guide book said to line up with the building with the red roof. Only problem was it didn't say which building. We did get in okay but the Platinum, with its two high speed boats and 2 helicopters on board, didn't fare so well. As they were dumping chain to lighten ship they had a visit by the DEA. Interesting afternoon.
Old 29-08-2015, 19:13   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"a bouy can hide behind a mast.."

Yep!

Without a GPS on board, piloting at night can be a challenge too. Especially if the lights on shore are many and make it difficult to spot a lighted channel marker or bouy.

It seems common to read about "old salts" complaining about GPS dependent sailors, and conversely, the push back from those same sailors who use GPS exclusively.

Coming from a background of using the "Old School" methods, it is natural to want to retain the methods and techniques and knowledge and practice the skills we learned earlier.

The GPS gives sailors now such an easy, instant, and accurate answer to "Where AM I NOW?"

That certainty of "I am here or within 15 meters of here on the chart plotter position" sure beats "According to my calculations and sights and plotting, I think I might be here, I think, yes, I am pretty sure I am about here."

In comparison, the "Old School Way" can seem like using two sticks to start a fire.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 19:18   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Piloting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
In comparison, the "Old School Way" can seem like using two sticks to start a fire.
Till your matches are wet and your lighters outa gas...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 19:20   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I used to fly as well. VFR only. I can remember the panic when I let my thoughts drift for just a minute or so and lost situational awareness of my position. Night flying on the Canadian Prairies was absolute magic with the lights, especially in the winter. Night sailing near Vancouver was a different story with all the shore lights masking the nav aids. A dark area most likely meant a ship at anchor. I wouldn't like to do it now without a good chart plotter and some local knowledge regained.
Old 29-08-2015, 21:11   #7

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Mistake #10..... 'Grounding at low water' is a whole lot better than grounding at high water.......

Rule #1 ... from aviation... someone should always be flying the 'plane even when there is only one person in the 'plane... I think that relates - on a yacht - to getting one's head out of the chart plotter
Old 30-08-2015, 09:08   #8

Under the picture in Mistake #7 -

"If your wake differs obviously from your heading, your course over ground could be out by 10ş or more"

Certainly true in some situations, but unfortunate in the section on correcting for current.
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote