Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2021, 07:13   #1

Boat: Bristol, 38.8, LOA 38.25 ft
Planning a transit from Block Island, RI to Barnegat Inlet, Barnegat, NJ in Aug '21

Good Morning!
Long time follower of CF and now a first time question. I hope I do this correctly.
Planning a transit in mid-late August 2021. Has anyone sailed the course and can report their experience, in general estimate how long, type of wind and seas, any difficulty or challenges crossing Ambrose and Sandy Hook channels (if that close) or any challenges along the course.

Any help is much appreciated. Many thanks!
kevinwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 18:50   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Planning a transit from Block Island, RI to Barnegat Inlet, Barnegat, NJ in Aug '

The South Shore of Long Island is long and boring. Not many places (if any) to put in, and they can be dangerous in some conditions. Off New York there's a lot of traffic. Wind is likely from SW, 8-15 knots, though in August it might be lighter. What type of boat and crew will impact how long it takes.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 19:26   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Planning a transit from Block Island, RI to Barnegat Inlet, Barnegat, NJ in Aug '

Do not attempt to enter Barnegat when wind opposes tide. It will be a nasty experience.
Old 13-03-2021, 19:39   #4

Boat: Albin Vega 27 / Ericson E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinwalsh View Post
Good Morning!
Long time follower of CF and now a first time question. I hope I do this correctly.
Planning a transit in mid-late August 2021. Has anyone sailed the course and can report their experience, in general estimate how long, type of wind and seas, any difficulty or challenges crossing Ambrose and Sandy Hook channels (if that close) or any challenges along the course.

Ever consulted Pilot charts? They tell ya "loooong" time waetherwise...
Albinvega27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 19:45   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albinvega27 View Post
Ever consulted Pilot charts? They tell ya "loooong" time waetherwise...
Pilot charts are built on historic averages, not applicable for the OP's purpose.
Old 13-03-2021, 20:04   #6

I would take the extra time to go up Long Island Sound and down the East River.

In August with the prevailing SW winds you're likely to be beating into wind and sea the whole way. This means waiting in Block Island for a good weather window while you can do Long Island sound pretty much any day you want.

NYC harbor approaches are extremely busy with large commercial traffic and you will be crossing the traffic separation lanes. Be sure to have an AIS transponder and remember that you are required to not interfere with ships in the traffic separation lanes.

Night is quite difficult - between the commercial traffic and surprisingly frequent unlighted fishing gear it's a stressful trip.

And as mentioned, there are no good deepwater places to seek refuge on the southern Long Island shore if things go wrong.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 22:03   #7

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinwalsh View Post
Good Morning!

What are you sailing? And do you know Barnagat? I'm not a million percent convinced that Barnegat Inlet is all that safe to approach from sea unless you know what you're getting into.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 1.02.06 AM.png
Views:	128
Size:	393.0 KB
ID:	234479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 1.04.41 AM.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	381.1 KB
ID:	234480  

We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 05:20   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Kevin.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 05:51   #9

Boat: Adams 45

If you're doing the trip as a cruise, and time is no issue, you can decide whether to go outside or via Long Island Sound based on the weather forecast at your departure time. NYC can be busy, but it's also pretty spectacular coming down the East River. Depending on your own experience level you might want an experienced crew member to help with traffic watch. You definitely need to plan tidal current times at Plum Gut and Hells Gate.

If you're doing the trip as a delivery, and time is important, and you're willing to motor if conditions are unfavorable, it's a lot faster going outside.
pjShap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 06:13   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Pilot charts are built on historic averages, not applicable for the OP's purpose.

This scenario is exactly what pilot charts are for. Along with appropriate nav charts and a copy of the Coast Pilot, the OP would have everything needed to answer his own questions. Or at the least, be able to ask some reasonable questions as opposed to a blanket how do I get from here to there and how long will it take?
Pandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 11:07   #11

Boat: Fleming 58

The cruise you are planning is a cruise that to plan properly needs to answer the question: What king of vessel and what is your desired cruising speed?

In that I've done this cruise via the two ways mentioned in other responses I'll try and comment not knowing the how fast are you going answer.

1. Normal cruising Speed 15-20kts
If you go inside and only want to cruise during the day, I would plan a stop at the Liberty Marina or Atlantic Highlands on the first day and then on to Barnegat. As someone has already mentioned Barnegat is horrible with an outgoing tide and a westerly wind. Abescom Inlet is easier but can also be difficult.

If you gout outside Its all very easy. Leave at first light and you'll be at Barnegat the same day. One compass heading once you're out of Block. This is all weather dependent. If you have and autopilot this is my preferred way of going. If seeing the New York City skyline is important than spend 2 days and do the east river run.

2. Slow Speed 7-12 its
If you go the inside route and stick to day travel it might be best to plan 2 stops. One in Port Jefferson and one in Atlantic Highlands. All very doable

If you gou outside be prepared foo an overnight run and make sure you and your crew have a watch plan organized. There is no stopping anywhere. At least "no intended" stops.

Regardless of what you do: Enjoy!
Carlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 11:54   #12

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Taking your time or straight through? Sail or power?

A copy of Eldridge would be a good idea. If you are taking your time go down LI Sound. Lots of great places to stop for either overnights or exploring.

Agree with everyone here Barnegat can be...Interesting in wind opposite tide. As can most of the South Shore inlets.
Scubaseas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 11:59   #13

Boat: Sabre 34

I was mulling a similar question a few months ago, check out these 2 threads I started here and on another forum.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...er-239467.html

https://www.thehulltruth.com/northea...gat-inlet.html

I didn't finally go there as I made different arrangements in LIS, so don't have any personal experience.

Good luck.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 14:43   #14

Boat: Hunter 40.5 and C+C36

Barnegat inlet is OK and you can encounter lumpy conditions for 1/4 mile or more depending on wind and tides. All over in a few minutes. Arrive in daylight so you can follow the boat traffic through the serpentine Oyster Creek Channel inside Barnegat Bay. If you arrive at dusk then there is an anchorage somewhat after you make a left turn around the lighthouse.
j.g.evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 15:29   #15

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I agree with j.g.evans: follow the boats in Barnegat Inlet. I spent all my youthful summers on Long Beach Island, of which Barnegat is the northern inlet. The shoals can move around and we always followed the fishing boats in/out, for they do it every day,

However, if you're a keel boat, maybe skip Barnegat inlet if you're heading south. Why?, well the Intrcoastal Waterway inside Long Beach Island can be 3 feet or less at dead low tide, maybe a bit shallower depending on moon and wind.

From Block Island, we would strongly recommend going down L.I. Sound. If you're a slow sailboat, Stamford is a nice place to overnight before you head down the East River to NY Harbor. A keel boat has to time the tide in the river because it can exceed 6 knots. NY Harbor is a real experience. Busy, but great fun.

There's an anchorage just inside the tip of Sandy Hook, and a decent marina further down.

From there, if your destination is Barnegat Bay, go inside at Manesquan. Again, in a keel boat, you'll want to ride the swift tide in the canal that will get you into the Bay.

Have a great trip.
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote