Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2023, 14:36   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Plastimo's stationary lubber lines vs balanced lubber lines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Probably the same person that made you the arbiter of compass/lubber line orientation.

Personally, I think if the helmsperson is in a position to see the horizon, they should be steering by natural leadmark, and then checking that against the compass - rather than driving the compass. Then one tends to use an "if high, steer low; if low, steer high" calculus.
That only works when in sight of some suitable land, but when further offshore or at cloudy night, you have to steer by compass. I suspect that most of us who do that prefer the card and boat to have that analogous relationship.
Old 15-03-2023, 15:19   #17

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Of course I can't prove it, but I have a feeling that "front end" reading has been around since they floated a lodestone in a bowl of mercury, the lubber line representing the ships bow.
Back end, or "Direct reading", (IIRC,) is the product of aircraft usage.
Old 15-03-2023, 15:33   #18

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
That only works when in sight of some suitable land, but when further offshore or at cloudy night, you have to steer by compass. I suspect that most of us who do that prefer the card and boat to have that analogous relationship.
Clouds, variations in the haze on the horizon, stars, etc. I suspect most of us who use the sails, steer the wind rather than the compass.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2023, 03:22   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Clouds, variations in the haze on the horizon, stars, etc. I suspect most of us who use the sails, steer the wind rather than the compass.
That was a good and subtle dig. I could escalate in any number of ways, but there would be no point.
I will say, though, that if I tried to "steer the wind" on a dark and lumpy night, rather than trimming the sails for the proper course and then keeping the compass on it, it'd be rather more difficult--for me at least--since boats are inclined to try and head up little by little, and before I know it, I'm ten degrees off course and might never know the difference.
If you can steer the wind on the darkest of offshore nights and still stay perfectly on course, then my hat is off to you. I certainly can't.
Old 16-03-2023, 04:57   #20

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
That was a good and subtle dig.
Not unlike yours - I just returned your serve.

Quote:
If you can steer the wind on the darkest of offshore nights and still stay perfectly on course, then my hat is off to you. I certainly can't.
Keep at it. With practice and experience, you'll get there.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plastimo