Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2023, 19:49   #1

Boat: 1984 Nor'Sea27
Plastimo's stationary lubber lines vs balanced lubber lines?

This is what Platimo uses for lubber lines in their bulkhead compasses
Click image for larger version

Name:	platimo lubber lines.JPG
Views:	1053
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	272490
this instead of having lubber lines on a balanced of gimbled platform (below the card) that stays level even if the boat is heeled. Does the curve plastimo assigns to these lines made it such that the azimuth read on the card is correct when heeled? I just can not see how that is reliable. But i otherwise like their product(s) and I need to replace my compass.
cadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 20:07   #2

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: Plastimo's stationary lubber lines vs balanced lubber lines?

You'll be able to get within 10°, maybe 5°. The lubber lines will cross the card at an angle and you'll have to be intentional about reading at the top of the graduations on the card.
Old 06-03-2023, 21:43   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Are you sure the internal lubber line(s) aren't gimballed? I seem to remember the Plastimo Contest 130 Bulkhead compass I had some years ago did have the internal lubber lines gimballed. The bottom part of the lubber line was used as the inclinometer pointer. If the lubber line wasn't gimballed, the inclinometer wouldn't work.

More accurately, the card and lubber lines were fixed (by gravity) and the outer housing was gimballed and moved with the boat.

Or so I remember!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 04:13   #4

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmus View Post
Does the curve plastimo assigns to these lines made it such that the azimuth read on the card is correct when heeled? I just can not see how that is reliable. But i otherwise like their product(s) and I need to replace my compass.
What level of accuracy do you require? Does is really make a difference?
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 06:20   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Are you sure the internal lubber line(s) aren't gimballed? I seem to remember the Plastimo Contest 130 Bulkhead compass I had some years ago did have the internal lubber lines gimballed. The bottom part of the lubber line was used as the inclinometer pointer. If the lubber line wasn't gimballed, the inclinometer wouldn't work.

More accurately, the card and lubber lines were fixed (by gravity) and the outer housing was gimballed and moved with the boat.

Or so I remember!
NO i am not sure. all i have is Plastimo's text saying "lubber lines mounted in the lower part of the bowl" and that photo. If what you say is correct that is ideal.
Old 09-03-2023, 16:16   #6

Here is a photo of a guy polishing out the haze of a platimo contest with some turtle wax headlight polish.

sure looks like they are fixed to the globe not balanced or gimbled.
Old 09-03-2023, 16:54   #7

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Here is a photo of a guy polishing out the haze of a platimo contest with some turtle wax headlight polish.

sure looks like they are fixed to the globe not balanced or gimbled.
To start with his compass is in poor shape ... he's missing the central lubber line completely. At about 4:55 in the vid you can see the lubber lines attached to the same gimbal as the card. Then at about 9:30 when he tilts the compass you can see the lubber lines move in response, but his is a bit sticky.

I have a Contest 101, and can assure you that the central lubber line is used for the inclinometer ... I'm at the dock at the moment so can't photo it heeled over for you.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2023, 03:32   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I'd get a compass that reads from the far end of a flat card instead of the direct read of that Plastimo. It's quicker to tell at-a-glance which way to turn to get back on course, since the card and lubber line are analogous to what's really going on: if the boat turns to port, the lubber line goes to port of the course on the card.
The other way, if the boat turns to port, the lubber line goes to starboard on the card.
Ridiculous.
Old 13-03-2023, 20:07   #9

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
I'd get a compass that reads from the far end of a flat card instead of the direct read of that Plastimo. It's quicker to tell at-a-glance which way to turn to get back on course, since the card and lubber line are analogous to what's really going on: if the boat turns to port, the lubber line goes to port of the course on the card.
The other way, if the boat turns to port, the lubber line goes to starboard on the card.
Ridiculous.
Agree ++ for the "far end" reading.
PS. you mentioned a "flat card", might that per chance be a "Dirigo" compass?
I used to have one, externally gimballed, used for the old Wood-Freeman auto pilots.
Old 13-03-2023, 22:24   #10
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
NO i am not sure. all i have is Plastimo's text saying "lubber lines mounted in the lower part of the bowl" and that photo. If what you say is correct that is ideal.
I checked the Plastimo range of bulkhead compasses at the local chandlery today.

The lubber lines of the 101 and 130 models are gimballed; all three lines were gimballed to at least 40 degrees either way athwartships. I didn't check the extent of the fore and aft action except to say there was at least 10 degrees of movement F&A.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2023, 02:45   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
Agree ++ for the "far end" reading.
PS. you mentioned a "flat card", might that per chance be a "Dirigo" compass?
I used to have one, externally gimballed, used for the old Wood-Freeman auto pilots.
Well, nearly every binnacle compass has the flat card you read at the far end. My favorite is Ritchie. I had a bulkhead-mount one once that was dual-read, and never read from the front: it's not really intuitive when you're swaying the tiller back and forth to counter the yaw in a following sea to do the front read.
Old 14-03-2023, 05:52   #12

Quote:
Ridiculous.
It's poor technique to follow the lubber's line. If you need the numbers to go up, steer to stbd, and vice versa.
Old 14-03-2023, 17:20   #13
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
It's poor technique to follow the lubber's line. If you need the numbers to go up, steer to stbd, and vice versa.
Different strokes, I guess. Dunno who made you the arbiter of technique.
Old 15-03-2023, 07:47   #14

Quote:
Different strokes, I guess. Dunno who made you the arbiter of technique.
Probably the same person that made you the arbiter of compass/lubber line orientation.

Personally, I think if the helmsperson is in a position to see the horizon, they should be steering by natural leadmark, and then checking that against the compass - rather than driving the compass. Then one tends to use an "if high, steer low; if low, steer high" calculus.
Old 15-03-2023, 09:07   #15

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Well, nearly every binnacle compass has the flat card you read at the far end. My favorite is Ritchie.
In my mention of "Dirigo" I should have said "flat top" instead of "flat card".
My favorite is Ritchie also.
There are small lubber lines at the close end, but the main ones are far end.
Sorry for the poor pic,,,.

Tags
plastimo