Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2009, 12:11   #1

Boat: 2009 Jeanneau 49i Bucket List
Platinum + Chart Card

I have an E 120 upper and a E 80 lower Chart Plotter purchased new card it reads in the lower E80 and does not copy to the upper E 120, if I put it in the upper E120 it cannot open it.

The standard card if I place in the upper E120 it reads to both itself and the lower E80, if I put that card in the lower E 80 it only reads in that unit. Both units are on Seatalk. Any one know why this new card would not read on a E120.
Bucket List is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:24   #2

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket List View Post
I have an E 120 upper and a E 80 lower Chart Plotter purchased new card it reads in the lower E80 and does not copy to the upper E 120, if I put it in the upper E120 it cannot open it.

The standard card if I place in the upper E120 it reads to both itself and the lower E80, if I put that card in the lower E 80 it only reads in that unit. Both units are on Seatalk. Any one know why this new card would not read on a E120.
I don't think the two units are interconnected only with standard SeaTalk - for an E-series display to share digital charts with a second E-series, they must be connected via SeaTalkHS - their high speed Ethernet interface. Since the data on the standard card (Gold, or Platinum?) inserted in the E-120 can be read by the E-80, it appears that you do have an ethernet cable (SeaTalkHS) connecting the two.

I'd check the firmware/software version on each of the units. The most current version is v4.29. I'd at least make sure they're both running the same version. Since the E-120 can read the older standard card, and it can relay its data to the E-80 down below, it sounds like the software on the E-120 can't handle Platinum+ cartography. At a minimum, v2.30 is required to read Platinum charts...
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:05   #3

Boat: 2009 Jeanneau 49i Bucket List
Thanks Beausoleil

In checked and the E120 has a differant version of soft ware than the E80 I will atemt to upgrade that, I guess I can get the new version from Raymarine? Strange that I pruchased both new at the same time in April of this year and they would be differant, I also noticed the radar works on the lower E80 and info is not sent to the E120. hopefully the same software problem and yes they are on a sea talk trunk that was installed in the boat by the factory.
Bucket List is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 17:36   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket List View Post
In checked and the E120 has a differant version of soft ware than the E80 I will atemt to upgrade that, I guess I can get the new version from Raymarine? Strange that I pruchased both new at the same time in April of this year and they would be differant, I also noticed the radar works on the lower E80 and info is not sent to the E120. hopefully the same software problem and yes they are on a sea talk trunk that was installed in the boat by the factory.

The software is available for download from Raymarine. Register on their site (and register all your Raymarine instruments while you're at it) and then you'll be able to download the newest version of the software.

What size radar do you have? There's also a radar software upgrade required if you have the newer "high definition" digital radar - not the 18" or 24" radome...
Old 08-07-2009, 08:42   #5

Thanks for the PM! Hopefully you backed up your data to another CF memory card before the upgrade and did a factory reset and restore after...

I'm not surprised that the vendor would have had some older inventory. One thing I learned is that the anti-glare coating has been changed sometime during the E-series life. The old coating on my E120 (manufactured in early 2006) began wearing off almost immediately after installation. I sent it back recently for another problem, and Raymarine replaced the glass with the new coating. It's been almost 4 months, and it's holding up better. Still too early to say it's "permanent".

Hopefully your E120 is the new vintage. What version of software did both have? v4.29 on the E80, and v3.31 on the E120?