Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2021, 03:18   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Private Fishing Boats

The RoRo thread got me thinking about a navigation situation that baffled me this summer.

We were sailing back from deep Maine to the Cape Cod Canal entrance. So we were well offshore.

I had a course set that was pretty much a straight line. We encountered a few boats out there. Some commercial fisherman. But off of New Hampshire way out past the Isles of Shoals, I encountered a situation I have never been in before. In all my years.

There was a large Sportfisher boat anchored. I altered course slightly to avoid the boat. Little did I know, they had these small red balls in the water behind the boat. About the size of a softball each.

There was a set of four of them. Marking out a square area. By sheer luck, I did not pass between these little red balls. I passed just outside the farthest one from the sport fishing boat. As I passed by, they started to scream and yell at me that I was too close. Mind you, I had already adjusted my course to avoid the boat.

So there are a couple things I am confused with. Does anyone feel there is some sort of safe distance to pass an anchored boat when offshore? It was an offshore bank they were on. To me, I left plenty of distance. In fact, it was so much distance that whatever they had set up behind the boat, which took up approximately five or six of their 60’-70’ boat lengths, was in between me and them.
I didn’t want to get too far off course because I wasn’t able to adjust the sails at that angle very well. I think I took a 15 degree course alteration.

Anyway, as we passed the Sportfisher, I noticed the small red balls set up in a square pattern. And as I passed outside of this Square by sheer luck, which was not marked by anything but these very small softball size red balls, they started yelling at me for being too close.

First, I couldn’t see whatever this was they had behind the boat. Second, what the heck was going on in this situation? What type of fishing is this? They were not moving. They were anchored. They had a square thing underwater set up behind the boat. It was marked by four softball size red balls on the surface. Which I barely saw at all.

Was I too close? Should I have somehow known what this boat was doing? I have never seen a commercial boat do anything like this before. What is a private fishing boat doing when they set up like that?
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 03:33   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Please Fishing Boats

There are daymarks and lights that fishing boats are supposed to show when they have tackle that you should avoid. If they were not showing the legal marks, they should not expect people to keep clear of anything but their actual boat.
I've never seen what you describe, but who can ever say what goes on in the minds of most sportfishers? I've known one or two who were thoughtful, competent seamen, but most of the ones I encounter show an abysmal lack of seamanship, sense, manners, and all the graces that improve the seafaring experience.
Old 10-02-2021, 03:44   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
There are daymarks and lights that fishing boats are supposed to show when they have tackle that you should avoid. If they were not showing the legal marks, they should not expect people to keep clear of anything but their actual boat.
I've never seen what you describe, but who can ever say what goes on in the minds of most sportfishers? I've known one or two who were thoughtful, competent seamen, but most of the ones I encounter show an abysmal lack of seamanship, sense, manners, and all the graces that improve the seafaring experience.
It’s possible they had the proper marks up on the boat somewhere. But I didn’t see it. I just saw a boat. I didn’t see anything beyond the white hull. You know?

This is middle of the day, broad daylight. I didn’t notice any type of mark. I just noticed that they were anchored. So I didn’t really look much farther than that.
Old 10-02-2021, 03:49   #4

Funny, isn't it, Chotu, what an acceptable distance is to you (sailor) and acceptable distance to a big power Sportfisher.

My guess (as you, I'm sure were thinking) was that the red balls mark some sort of gear down, so it's good you didn't foul it - for your own sake.

As far as close distances go, though, I think racing makes you much more comfortable with close manouvring... I remember being in the Solent with an RYA sail training class and we'd decided to watch the Admiral's Cup racing. At one point we were on the verge of being in the way of the fleet (and one boat in particular), so we just gybed around to keep clear. The British sailors wern't bothered since that was typical of close-quarters manouvring in the Solent.

The American team, however, lost their minds! I thought it was quite funny after the race when their engine packed up and they hailed us for a tow....

I'd be interested to understand what the fishing gear in your situation might have been... weird that it gets deployed at anchor, though, eh?

Warmly,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 04:04   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Funny, isn't it, Chotu, what an acceptable distance is to you (sailor) and acceptable distance to a big power Sportfisher.

My guess (as you, I'm sure were thinking) was that the red balls mark some sort of gear down, so it's good you didn't foul it - for your own sake.

As far as close distances go, though, I think racing makes you much more comfortable with close manouvring... I remember being in the Solent with an RYA sail training class and we'd decided to watch the Admiral's Cup racing. At one point we were on the verge of being in the way of the fleet (and one boat in particular), so we just gybed around to keep clear. The British sailors wern't bothered since that was typical of close-quarters manouvring in the Solent.

The American team, however, lost their minds! I thought it was quite funny after the race when their engine packed up and they hailed us for a tow....

I'd be interested to understand what the fishing gear in your situation might have been... weird that it gets deployed at anchor, though, eh?

Warmly,
LittleWing77
It is true about racing and close quarters. My racing friends cut everything as close as possible. Even in the mooring field under power at 7 knots. Ha ha Ha. They think nothing of it. Then again, they are in such great control of the boat, I think they have a good point.

Yes. I’m hoping to learn what type of fishing gear this was. I don’t understand how it was set up at anchor. And I don’t understand how I could have seen it. But I would like to learn. Because I don’t want to repeat the situation.
Old 10-02-2021, 04:11   #6

Boat: Southern Cross 39

Sounds very much like the "Shoals" marine laboratory range of the University of New Hampshire.

Was it in the vicinity of 42°46.808'N • 70°13.863'W ?
mabowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 04:38   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabowers View Post
Sounds very much like the "Shoals" marine laboratory range of the University of New Hampshire.

Was it in the vicinity of 42°46.808'N • 70°13.863'W ?
I certainly hope these men were not students. They were like 50 and 60 years old and really drunk. Everyone had a beer in their hand. Plus, UNH doesn’t use private sport fishing boats for their work.

Below, please see a Sportfisher boat just like the one I encountered. And also see the boat UNH uses for the shoals lab.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	72591434-71D2-4EEA-9849-B5998DE2801E.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	232223   Click image for larger version

Name:	7E91935E-EFA9-4F91-A84E-FD5789FF0A94.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	321.3 KB
ID:	232224  

Old 10-02-2021, 05:40   #8

Boat: Southern Cross 39

Yeah, the age at least rules out most of the university students lol... I know a (non UNH) team doing off-shore testing of a new wave energy system in the UNH range near there. Age is about right but certainly not being drunk or acting like fools.
mabowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 05:45   #9

So it's clear expert info was required, so I consulted my brother, who is an avid sportfisherman. Here's what he says:

Yup they were tuna fishing. We use balloons tied to the lines so they don't get tangled together. You put them out one at a time at different depths and the wind and current pull them around. This way you can fish multiple lines at the same time!

(And yes, they do it at anchor, apparently. I asked.)

There! Mystery solved!
LuttleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 05:51   #10

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I generally give any boat that appears to be fishing a wide berth if I have any choice. I've seen way too many of them either be totally clueless or just not care and figure "I'm fishing, get out of my way" regardless of the actual situation.

On my last long run down Lake Ontario, I questioned if I was leaving enough room when I adjusted course to clear a 30-something footer out fishing by about a 1/4 mile.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 05:54   #11

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Re: Private Fishing Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Anyway, as we passed the Sportfisher, I noticed the small red balls set up in a square pattern. And as I passed outside of this Square by sheer luck, which was not marked by anything but these very small softball size red balls, they started yelling at me for being too close.

First, I couldn’t see whatever this was they had behind the boat. Second, what the heck was going on in this situation? What type of fishing is this? They were not moving. They were anchored. They had a square thing underwater set up behind the boat. It was marked by four softball size red balls on the surface. Which I barely saw at all.

Was I too close? Should I have somehow known what this boat was doing? I have never seen a commercial boat do anything like this before. What is a private fishing boat doing when they set up like that?

It most likely was a commercial boat out for large bluefin tuna and they were using balloons to suspend their bait. They were yelling at you so you didn't scare off their fish, but don't believe there is a required distance to pass them.
We've seen them out w/no proper day signals (that they were anchored) and don't have AIS up either.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 06:12   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
We've seen them out w/no proper day signals (that they were anchored) and don't have AIS up either.
Mate, there are no proper day signals (or lights) for sport fishermen. Those signals only apply to fishing vessels with apparatus restricting maneuverability (not trolling lines).
Pandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 06:15   #13

Great Posts! Thank you! So these are the equivalent of those little red and white bobbers people use in freshwater fishing.

I had no idea.

So it was completely arbitrary that they were in a square pattern. Some were just further away and closer to the boat. I thought the square indicated something underneath the water in a square shape.

And I actually didn’t know these people were fishing at all. I did not see the little red balls. I guess they were in the sun glare or something. They were not visible. They were very small. I thought they were just anchored. I didn’t see any active thing going on with the boat other than a lot of people holding beers and kind of partying.
Old 10-02-2021, 06:18   #14

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandor View Post
Mate, there are no proper day signals (or lights) for sport fishermen. Those signals only apply to fishing vessels with apparatus restricting maneuverability (not trolling lines).
Wasn't inferring the day signals were for fishing, just anchoring. If you are anchored, I don't believe you are trolling either.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 06:33   #15

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16

Off Florida you have to look up to avoid the kites they use which can be a long ways behind the boat. Almost hooked a kite on our spreaders once. Like in your situation, no warning other than screaming. I’m not use to looking in the sky for navigational hazardous in open water.
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fishing, fish, boat