Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: What is your primary means (instrument) of navigation and planning
I use an MFD for my navigation and planning 21 17.65%
I use a smart device for my navigation and planning 21 17.65%
I use a combination of MFD and smart device for navigation and planning 63 52.94%
Other - includes the use of paper charts for navigation and planning 23 19.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2019, 09:48   #16

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham
Re: Poll on using an MFD vs a smart device

IMO rules clearly state to use all available sources of navigational information. I use Radar. laptop/electronic charts, tablet/electronic charts, paper charts, compass and sextant, trailing mechanical log, sonar, a lead line, and most important of all the mark one eyeball and my brain. Technically the sonar is an MDF but computer based charts are so much better and cheaper I have never bought a chart cartridge for it. Like most things in life it is not what you have that matters but how you use it.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 09:58   #17

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

On a technical note an 'MDF' is a tablet computer in a waterproof case with some proprietary software and ports for setting up a network to other instruments. They are generally pretty low power processors and memory, usually less than a cheap tablet. Most of the money you pay out is for the custom case.
So the real answer to you question is that a smart device hooked up to a nav network is an MDF or multi-function device, just one custom configured for your boat rather than an 'off the shelf' one.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 10:17   #18
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeys Kitchen View Post
Following along with the existing thread of "New iPhones and the imminent death of the MFD", I thought it would be interesting to see where everyone is from a statistic point of view.

Please indicate your primary means of navigation and planning and/or hybrid use if applicable

We use a combination of MFD and smart device. The MFD primarily while under way and doing planning and setting way points on the smart device (iPad Air)
Poor survey with limited choices slanted to new technology. I chose OTHER as I use a navigation station laptop for planning and navigation in conjunction with a portable GPS at the helm.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 10:37   #19

Boat: Outremer 51

I think you should have had separate options for planning and navigation and asked for the primary tool used in each case because many people use combinations for either function. Options should include PC.
HBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 12:48   #20

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

I don't even know what MFD stands for, presumably some USA thing?
Even Google doesn't know.
Using an abbreviation in a poll of a forum used world wide doesn't demonstrate much thought.
Old 23-10-2019, 13:46   #21

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Sorry to say, your poll is a bit dumb. By "smart device" we assume you mean phones and tablets, excluding MFD's (not smart?)

But where does a PC or laptop computer come into play?

Or a combination of PC and Mobile device?

Or a combination of PC and MFD?
Old 23-10-2019, 13:55   #22

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
I don't even know what MFD stands for, presumably some USA thing?
Even Google doesn't know.
Using an abbreviation in a poll of a forum used world wide doesn't demonstrate much thought.
Just to help you out Grant, MFD stands for Multi Function Device (or some variation of that). It has come into common usage as a Chart Plotter that does other things, commonly mounted in the cockpit on a binnacle where it is easy for a motoring yachtsman to sit in his captain's char and watch it while he motors along and steers, and to stick his fingers in between the spokes of the wheel to operate it.

Previously, for about, 40 years, it meant Multi Functional Display and was originally a proprietary term used by Brooks & Gatehouse for their instrument displays which could show any of their 32 channels of information.

The chart plotter crowd coopted the term.
Old 23-10-2019, 14:08   #23

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic38 View Post
i cannot respond as planning and navigation are two distinct functions...

You left one out:
1. planning/routing
2. navigation
3. piloting
Your point however is well taken.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 09:27   #24

I would prefer to use the MFD while sailing because of the better screen visibility. Cell phones and tablets just don't show up well in sunlight.
skipper53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 11:06   #25
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeys Kitchen View Post
Following along with the existing thread of "New iPhones and the imminent death of the MFD", I thought it would be interesting to see where everyone is from a statistic point of view.

Please indicate your primary means of navigation and planning and/or hybrid use if applicable

We use a combination of MFD and smart device. The MFD primarily while under way and doing planning and setting way points on the smart device (iPad Air)
This survey should be scrapped and restarted with a broader choice beyond smart devices if it is to mean anything.

As stated earlier I use a laptop at the nav station for detailed planning, navigating, and communication with a fixed handheld GPS at the helm with duplicated routing. The fixed handheld GPS is sufficient for the person on duty when standing at the helm while crossing the ocean. It occurred to me on my to/from Hawaii voyage that the rest of the crew would have nothing to view if a helm device (MFD, GPS, whatever) is all there is. Some other device is warranted in the cabin for the rest of the crew; another pair of eyes is always welcome.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 07:42   #26

Boat: HR-40

For me the choices are not good enough as well, as I use a Raspberry Pi 3 with an LC display and keyboard at the nav station for planning and feeding waypoints to the autopilot with OpenCPN. I use an iPad to view the Raspberry screen in the cockpit using VNC and I also use a second and third set of electronic charts on the iPad to cross check my route.
jumager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 08:05   #27

Boat: Morgan 41

I recently installed an N2K network with the following pieces:
1. Simrad autopilot
2. Furuno GP39 fixed GPS
3. Simrad RS35 VHF with AIS
4. Raymarine speed, depth, and wind
5. Yacht Device NMEA 0183 to 2000 gateway
6. Yacht Device WiFi adapter
My "boat laptop" runs OpenCPN and connects to the N2K network via WiFi either below deck at the nav station or in the cockpit.
For me it's the perfect setup - no MFD required
capn jlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 08:40   #28

Boat: Stevens 47

Like the previous posts I think the poll is too limiting. Like all things sailing and, perhaps life in general, the optimum tools to use depend on the mission/job/task you are attempting to plan and execute.

For us cruising full time into areas we generally have never visited and in some case with poor charting this is what we use:

- Long term planning on a combination of small scale charts, pilot charts, historical GRIB data and electronic charts on the laptop.
- Normal nav planning is done on the laptop using Coastal Explorer with up to date charts aided by SAS Planet when the chart data is dubious
- Execution of the nav plan is done primarily from the cockpit on our small 7" chartplotter. Underway we look at options at the chart table with the laptop as I like the bigger screen.
- For pilotage in tight waters we still use the chartplotter and the ever important Mk1 eyeball (with someone on the bow if warranted). The iPad is often used with Ovital Maps if we need satellite imagery as well is the chart data is dubious.

- We have two iPads as backups and sometimes use one with Navionics to look at alternatives while underway from the cockpit(i.e. can do "what ifs" while not disturbing the chartpltter). We also have two old laptops with OpenCPN and charts for backups with a USB GPS.

Backed up with paper charts, sextants, almanac and some rusty skills on traditional coastal and celestial navigation.

On my ever expanding "to do" list is a blog post on navigation. I did do one post on one way to use satellite imagery to assist navigation if that is of any help: SV FLUENTA: Using Satellite Imagery to Assist Navigation - SAS Planet
Old 28-10-2019, 08:53   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Your poll assumes that people use the same device for navigation and planning, as they do for pilotage. These tasks have quite different demands, and I think most really good sailors use different devices/methods.

For pilotage, including orientation from the helm when underway and running the radar, I use a marine MFD (B&G Zeus), displaying vector charts, and I wouldn't want to be without it. I wouldn't want to try to operate a consumer electronics device -- and keep it charged, and avoid smashing it -- in a storm, in a hard rain, in bright sunlight, etc.

Although I have a second Zeus at my nav table, I do not use it for navigation or planning. I use a hard-installed Windows computer running OpenCPN and displaying on a 23" 4K monitor, preferably with raster charts. And some work on paper.

I do use a ruggedized, waterproof Android tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab Active), connected to the boat network via GoFree, for odd jobs like standing watch under the sprayhood, keeping an eye on the passage when off watch, from my bunk, etc.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 09:18   #30

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Same here.

MFD for navigation, situation awareness, alarms, AIS, RADAR, depth sounder, auto pilot way points, tactics.
Second MFD at the nav station for night watches in bad weather inside including autopilot remote.

Tablets with Navionics charts for casual planning and also as navigation aid in tight quarters with updated charts, Google satellite imagery, anchorage research, noonsite, noforeignland, access to internet information, anchor watch, mobile mirrored MFD output if wanted, weather information, weather routing, navtex, also digital pilot books and notices to mariners, technical manuals, travel guides etc.

Paper pilot books (mostly Imray) for the areas sailed.

We also have notebooks with opencpn and raster charts plus a gps mouse, but we prefere the Navionics app.

Under way we rely on the MFD, but always use the Navionics App in parallel for documenting and sharing the tracks and having a detailled second chart source.

Tags
poll