Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: What is your primary means (instrument) of navigation and planning
I use an MFD for my navigation and planning 21 17.65%
I use a smart device for my navigation and planning 21 17.65%
I use a combination of MFD and smart device for navigation and planning 63 52.94%
Other - includes the use of paper charts for navigation and planning 23 19.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2019, 11:52   #31

Boat: Stevens 47
Re: Poll on using an MFD vs a smart device

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

Although I have a second Zeus at my nav table, I do not use it for navigation or planning. I use a hard-installed Windows computer running OpenCPN and displaying on a 23" 4K monitor, preferably with raster charts.

The big screen and hard installed computer is on "to do list" for the next lap !
Old 29-10-2019, 05:52   #32

Boat: Passport 40
Re: Poll on using an MFD vs a smart device

So tired of this fight.

It always comes down to; Always an MFD. No they are obsolete and overpriced, you only need an iPad. Coastal Explorer on Windows, no, build a RaspberryPi box and run OpenCPN. Real sailors only use paper and a compass and a sextant. Oh yeah, how about a lodestone and an astrolabe?

Folks, first learn to use what you have. Decide what you need given the sailing you are doing and your budget. Add that and then learn to use that stuff too. Never give up a back up system and use it every once in a while so you remember how to.

OK, back to our regularly scheduled internet back and forth.

Oh, I almost forgot: B&G Zeus 3 MFD, Coastal Explorer on Windows (also tapped into the N2k backbone), Navionics on my phone, and paper covering from Olympia to Anchorage. But again, that's just what works for me.

Tags
poll