Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2008, 17:43   #1

purchasing advice

thinking of purchasing this item from Nautical Select Porthole Weather Center

Does anyone know where I could get a better deal or has anyone had any problems with this company?
sailor girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 18:47   #2

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Not to knock your purchase but your money could be spent on a better item.
A clock is easy to purchase and we've got one 10 inch in a port-hole frame in the main cabin, the comfort meter is useless, as you know when your comfortable,
So this leads me to the Barometer, one of the most used tools on a boat while cruising, and to spare the price on an inexpensive unit would be a loss of your hard earned money... Your barometer is the best wether station you could own..
Weems & Plath are concidered one of the best, and a large sight glass with easy to read numbers are a plus.
If your using it to decorate an office or a home, its a pretty unit, but as a useful item for the boat, Id check out Weems & Plath... the cost is more but they're designed to work and work well...
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 18:56   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I think the specificity of the request requires more research than we may have. If you could state the request as a something more generic then we might be able to offer more information that might lead you to a different product. We don't generally do all that well with best buy shopping research. We sort of assume if you really want something specific you can sort it out.

I think the company is mostly unknown yet the product may be from a manufacture that might be known.

Of the nautical things I have that are nice looking about the only one I really like and use is a tide clock. It does provide good information if you live in an area that has more than a foot or so of tide. The more tide the more it is of use. the whole styling aspect gets to be pretty subjective and perhaps the price may reflect a lot of those attributes instead of just the functionality alone.
The basic product is offered by a lot of different companies and the nautical theme to this one appears to have driven the price up. I would suggest if you can't see it in person then it's probably a bit too much. A basic quartz clock barometer / hydrometer is not a high ticket item. The styling and packaging however may change the price substantially.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 07:33   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The Three Porthole Weather Centre, by Weems & Plath, combines a quartz clock, a barometer, and a combination thermometer & hygrometer (comfortmeter), and is primarily an informative decoration (not an accurate weather station, but useful*).

They're available for $90 at Weather Stations & Electronic Barometers

* FWIW:
The Barometer will more than satisfy the casual weather observer (most of us) to indicate Pressure State (rising, falling, or steady) and Rate (faster or slower).
I never used my $300 (+?) Weems & Plath “Atlantis” Aneroid Barometer (temperature compensated) for more that those simple observations.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote