Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2013, 07:30   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Re: Radar / AIS to view directly on PC ?

Our em-trak AIS transceiver does NMEA 0183, N2k and USB. It sends AIS to our n2k Chartploter (Simrad NSS7) and to the computer for OpenCPN, or whatever we might use in the future.

We bought a lightly used Simard BB24 radome when doing our refit that just finished. I wired it up to both the chartplotter and the PC, using an off the shelf Cisco 12v switch, and some custom cable terminations. Now we have radar at the chartplotter and at the PC, via the OpenCPN Broadband radar plug-in. I can say the plug-in "works", IE shows the radar overlaid on the chart, but until we leave the slip in a few days, I won't be able to say how well it works. If it does, the cost to us for this added functionality was a wopping $0.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 07:50   #17

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

If you have to decide between repairing high def electronics or buying anew, I would recommend buying a new set. It is not a good idea to put in a new replacement component with existing old components; you are just extending the inevitable by a few short months, if not sooner. When a major component fails, all circuits in the set have been affected. For this reason, it is better to buy a new set, rather than repair it. Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 08:01   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by levm View Post
Question is do you really need a radar, a combination of navigation program ((Open CPN for example) and AIS will give you all the information you need on your PC at a fraction of the price you pay for proprietary radar equipment.
The only advantage radar has is when you sail in foggy area with many small crafts around which do not carry AIS.
Radar is also very useful at night. I always have mine on at night. It would be foolish to have that resource and not use it.

AIS does not replace radar, and it never will even if all vessels out there eventually have an AIS transceiver. They are both useful tools for different reasons.

A radar overlay on an electroninc chart with AIS on that same chart is very effective for getting the big picture. Combine that with ARPA and you have a really nice system.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 08:50   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I still prefer the marinized reliability of a chartplotter, but if you want to use a PC, there are some PC-display radar units available. Koden makes one (Marine Electronics Products | Koden Electronics Co., Ltd.), and I think that Garmin has been interfaced as well (Panbo: The Marine Electronics Hub: Radar on your PC, laptop or tablet). Furuno / MaxSea have a PC-radar interface as well, but I believe that this is not yet available in the USA.

As for AIS, Vesper makes some great stand-alone products, but there are several receivers and transponders available with USB connections, and many with serial ports. Once you have the connection to the PC (or iThing) you can choose from a wide array of excellent AIS display and monitoring programs. OpenCPN and NavMonPc are among these.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:31   #20

Send a message via Skype™ to Sailcraft

Hi,
One major thing to consider re AIS v Radar. In the PI many ships do not show the correct nav lights, most small fishing boats have a kero lamp if any lights at all. I would not sail these waters (at night) without a radar. While I love AIS it does not mean the other vessel has a clue in regard to the correct action to take, the lack of English when calling another vessel can be a problem. Regards Michael.
Sailcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:54   #21

Boat: Hylas 49

Installed the SiTex AIS transponder over the weekend. Also does 183, 2000 and USB. Connected to my laptop and Ray E7. i was surprised how many pleasure boats in Annapolis have AIS.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:02   #22
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Each of these companies had a bread and butter product. Furuno was always about radar, check out the fish boats whereever you go, most of them are using Furuno. I really like their radars. If I was looking for a SSB there is a leader in radios and that is Icom. Furuno makes SSB's as well but in my mind never as good as Icom.
Thats depends, in some places Furuno have a large percentage of the fishing fleets, this is primarily becuase there is a good local supplier that keeps the fleet running , elsewhere, Ive seen other makes dominate.

As to SSB, Icom isnt even at the races, its just that it makes a cheap leisure unit.

DAve
Old 03-04-2013, 03:17   #23

Boat: Norman Cross 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Raymarine AIS 650 Transponder has a direct USB link (ie not seriel to usb converter) and I use it on my primary Nav computer into OpenCpn.

its the best bit of safety kit I have bought. its excellent!

Mark
Hi Mark,

thanks for that, I will check it out!
Old 03-04-2013, 03:20   #24

Boat: Norman Cross 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailcraft View Post
Hi,
One major thing to consider re AIS v Radar. In the PI many ships do not show the correct nav lights, most small fishing boats have a kero lamp if any lights at all. I would not sail these waters (at night) without a radar. While I love AIS it does not mean the other vessel has a clue in regard to the correct action to take, the lack of English when calling another vessel can be a problem. Regards Michael.
You are quite correct as the sailing at night in the area

Tags
ais, radar