Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2022, 03:24   #46
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Radar and chartplotter systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Well both are a interpretation of reality , depends on what you value ,radar also “ lie” to you at certain times. Neither are actual reproductions of what’s really out there.

Radar can mis targets , misrepresent them , or be subject to radar shadows. Etc

Keep looking out the window.
I do not agree. AIS is based on radio transmissions containing data that includes a GPS position. Those transmissions can come from boats that are actually at those positions or from completely different sources, like land radio stations.

Radar is direct target detection, just like visual detection. Like visual detection, radar can’t normally miss targets unless they are military stealth technology ships. For prevention of collision, radar is 100% effective when used correctly. A radar target also can’t switch itself off like it can with AIS.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2022, 08:40   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Firstly ,any nmea 2k with device net connectors can easily be connected to Seatalkng with the appropriate drop cable widely available. You need a drop cable anyway. I just fitted my standard horizon N2K radio to Seatalkng that way in minutes.

For good nmea 2k performance stay within a single manufacturers range, unless there is a very good reason not to.

In general use a dedicated MFD at the helm, it’s designed for the conditions , a good sunlight screen , bonded , toughened will cost as much as an entry level MFD. keep your laptop or tablet to write your memoirs

These days don’t install receive only AIS waste of time and money. Transmit AiS is where it’s at.

Secondly don’t carry a dinghy on davits for any ocean crossings , ( under 70 foot boat ) you will pay for that decision
A class B transceiver will be installed… our dinghy is a folding portabote… gets stowed folded and lashed on deck at the rail. It will only be pulled up on davits temporarily and situationally.

The admiral has all but demanded Radar for a number of reasons. I thought I was just going to get AIS, but I was overruled. The plotter will most likely be on the Helm… MAYBE we will spring for a second smaller unit at the Nav desk. If I can use a laptop plugged in to the network that sort of makes an MFD at Nav desk optional or redundant.
DTRguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2022, 06:36   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH View Post
My supplement to #33
I recommend keeping your hand held windmeter as a backup (I've got one as well that mounts on the backstay) and installing a fixed wind speed/direction system on top of your mast; pick a company that you will get family instruments from when/if the time comes.

The AIS is a must but make it a transceiver not just a receiver, make yourself seen as well as seeing others. I have a Vesper Watchmate 850 that has been great without a problem since I installed it in 2014. I bought a Vesper SP160 splitter at the same time...I recommend it to eliminate any problem with VHF. Maybe you can find a used pair on eBay.

RADAR is nice to have but I use it less every year, usually just for fog. It is an old Raytheon R20XX unit but hanging in there for as little as I use it. It works OK so I won't replace it until it quits. So, its your choice if you must have RADAR.

A boat the size of yours needs a dedicated chartplotter at the nav station where it is protected from the elements and large enough screen to see detail navigational features; get something else at the wheel for the helmsman. I'm not a believer in iPad as primary nav system as it is not marine grade quality for offshore/passage-making use.

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
I looked at my sensor… it’s an Airmar smart sensor model 20-386-03
DTRguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2022, 08:32   #49
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Radar and chartplotter systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I do not agree. AIS is based on radio transmissions containing data that includes a GPS position. Those transmissions can come from boats that are actually at those positions or from completely different sources, like land radio stations.

Radar is direct target detection, just like visual detection. Like visual detection, radar can’t normally miss targets unless they are military stealth technology ships. For prevention of collision, radar is 100% effective when used correctly. A radar target also can’t switch itself off like it can with AIS.

Radar cant see round corners Ais can tell you stuff that radar can’t see ,radar can mislead , all such systems can lie.

Dave
RYA Radar Instructor
Old 29-04-2022, 13:21   #50

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTRguy View Post
I looked at my sensor… it’s an Airmar smart sensor model 20-386-03
That is the part number for the cap, not the transducer. Look near the transducer end of the cable, not the connector end, and you should see a silver label with the transducer model number.

Greg
CarinaPDX is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
chartplotter, radar