Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2019, 08:12   #61

Re: Radar or no radar?

I live in Quebec and many fishermen turn off their AIS ... for a single passage you can live without it but for frequent passage I find it indispensable. After all it is the only instrument that give you the «*reality*». AIS and chart plotters depends on electronics maps and GPS positioning. Don’t get me wrong I’m an e-map afficionado my sailboat is all equipped with state of the art Furuno Navnet and radar but the radar has a special place for me giving its modern accuracy and precision.
northcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 08:12   #62

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
I had a fairly large radome situated on its own mast. I hardly ever used it--and it took up useful space in the coach house.

But one day I did need it--and I am glad I kept it. My next vessel will certainly have a Radar--but not necessarily such a powerful one as the last set. If you have a fractional rig, set the scanner on the forward side iof the mainmast below the forestay and above the jib halyard pulley.

If you have room on top of the main mast, that is a good place too. One of the best places on a ketch is atop the mizzen above the triatic stay.

My $0.02.
You are correct in recommending radar, but sorry your mounting locations w.r.t. stays won't work. Triatic stay goes to very top of the mizzen, so radar must be mounted below that point. A radar will interfere with the jib on a fractional rig unless radar is mounted either above the forestay or somewhat below it allowing clearance for the jib to set correctly. Jib halyard pulley or sheave is nearly in line with the forestay, so no room there.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 08:21   #63

Boat: Coast 34

Both, receive only AIS only costs a new VHF radio and radar sees what’s there. Radar is exOne important point is to learn about radar use. David Burch RADAR FOR MARINERS is a good start. A professional nautical school radar lab class is better. One tip we use is rather than messing with electronic tracks on our radar we use dry erase colored markers directly on the radar screen to track targets. Also radar is valuable at night entering harbors and anchorages.
Annie in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 08:39   #64

Without radar you are relying on OTHER people to have AIS.
WITH radar YOU are in control, not depending on other people.
az_r2d1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 08:41   #65

Radar is essential for many reasons; confirmation of GPS position, traffic, storm cell ID, establishing an area of safety, warning signals for collision danger. There are probably more. Do it!
argonauta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 09:24   #66

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We found tha NO fishing boats in Canadian waters had AIS. MANY ALSO HAD NO RADAR. Most ignored the VHS. We considered our broadband radar essential in the maritimes.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 09:25   #67

Radar Definitely. I’d like to see where rain squalls are coming in so either I could get out of their way or know that I had to start reefing. On another subject since you were in the Mediterranean and I’m thinking of going this winter would you mind contacting me at Lancestairs@gmail.com I’d like to find out some information about the cost of cruising in the Mediterranean
Bon Temps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 09:31   #68

Boat: Schionning Wilderness 1340X

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauvins View Post
Planning to return to Quebec (from the Mediterranean). We've changed our electronics a few years ago and ditched our (obsolete) radar. Was essential gear in the St-Lawrence Gulf where fog is both frequent and thick. But now with chart plotters and AIS, not clear that sailing without a radar is unduly risky.

Upside is safer sailing. Downside is cost and mounting (mast mount interferes with climbing; on our arch would shade our solar array).

I hear the argument that not all boats are equipped with AIS transmitters, but the bigger (and more threatening) ones are.

My recollection is that when sailing the St-Lawrence, we barely used our radar anyway, and when we did it was to see how far we were from the coast, which is now done with a GPS.

Opinions?
Hi,

As a professional navigator, with many years, experience worldwide, I would try very hard to afford a radar.
I know, from experience, how hard sailing vessels are to see on radar and I have experience of loosing AIS onboard.
OOWs on shipping vessels are often very bad at tuning their radars. Making already difficult to see sailboats all but invisible.
A radar will allow you to see what you need, without relying on the equipment or attention of others. In coastal navigation it will allow you to correct your position on the chart. Allowing safer passages.

AIS is not an adequate replacement for RADAR. it is an excellent aid to navigation.

If you can at all afford a radar, my opinion is to get one.

Just as important, or perhaps more so, get a radar reflector and mount it as high as practical. Being seen at night or in bad vis is key.

Have a great trip! Safe watch.

/ Axel
Axel Rappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 09:33   #69

Boat: Schucker 436

Mariners sailed around the world without radar for hundreds of years, but I worked for the USCG for 42 years, and my favorite story was someone seeing a merchant ship pulling into Honolulu with a sailboat mast sticking out of a merchant ship's anchor hawser. It sort of stuck in my mind. Wish I had a photo to prove it, but I don't. I know I sleep better with the radar alarm on, and sleep is very valuable to me.
RUSTYNAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 10:29   #70

Not to mention it is an essential tool when having to deal with pirates ships.
Did come across one at night, Of course no AIS, No light on. Just an echo on my radar 2nm on my stern, following.
Was buddy crossing, so called the other boat on the VHF. Mentioned about the situation. (they didn't have radar.) It didn't take long after that. The shadow changed heading.
dancor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 13:41   #71

I'm personally in no position to offer a meaningful opinion - but there is a youtube channel whose creators seem very able and I think they've have addressed this question very well with real world examples to back up their opinions (they suggest you need both).
Hope this link helps

Colinsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 15:47   #72

I love AIS but it doesn't do a lot of things my radar does. When in the tropics sailing at night the radar is essential for keeping your eyes on larger tropical squalls. Fishing boats in just about all of Asia and the South Pacific hell even off the coast of Africa don't have AIS making the radar essential. I also use radar extensively when single-handing using the 24nm alarm.
HansChristian33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 18:03   #73

Boat: 1975 Ta Chaio CT41

Recently sailed from Savannah to Houston, an very large number of boats and ships had no AIS signature. About 50 ships were waiting to enter the Mississippi River and was a jumble of markers however the radar have far better resolution as to their location. Oil rigs everywhere, uncharted channel markers fishing boats dragging nets with no AIS. Get the radar, I can vouch for the 4g.
curtis742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 18:58   #74

Boat: Bristol 29.9

We have been cruising for a year and our next upgrade will definitely be radar.

We had a near miss last fall in the middle of the night going down the New Jersey coast. A trawler didn’t have his lights or AIS on. We have an AIS receiver through our VHF and had the CPA set for 5 miles. Suddenly the alarm went off indicating he was less than .2 nm away. We hailed him, he said he couldn’t see us, we repeated our position, then he said he could see us and he said he’d turn. As he was turning he flicked his lights on and he was looming less than a football field away from us. Scared the hell out of Mr cthoops and I both. If we had radar we could have seen him and avoided the whole thing.

We’re leaving on the same passage tomorrow morning and a repeat of that scenario is what I’m fretting about the most. This is the last time we’re doing this route without radar.

Get a radar.
Old 30-08-2019, 20:23   #75

Location: Boat is on the hard in San Carlos for the tropical storm season. We are back in the PNW
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Radar.

Just came from the San Juan Islands, WA down to the Puget Sound this morning in fog. Only about 1/2 the ships I encountered had AIS. I saw the others only because I have radar.

Interesting note - while in close and going slow, the signals somewhat align. But when farther away and the target is moving faster, the AIS icon and the radar return often do not match up.
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar