Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2010, 02:57   #1

Boat: 32ft Golden Shamrock, Ron Holland Design heavenly modified. Bavaria 40ft
Send a message via Skype™ to emircedes
Raymarine Autohelm 3000

I recently bought a Raymarine Autohelm 3000 , resulting in me becoming very lazy..
To make things even more easier, i would like to get the wireless remote control (model S100) for it..
Thing is, i have no other Raymarine instruments at all on board and that Remote Control works via a wireless base station trough Seatalk.
On the Autohelm Unit there is a connector yoke for it (says Remote Control) and the S100 is compatible with the Autohelm 3000.

Do i have to get a different seatalk instrument first or something like that to hook up the base station for the Remote Control?
I asked Raymarine rep but he didnt really know as the Autohelm 3000 is 'before his time'...
Old 21-08-2010, 07:59   #2

Boat: Dufour 38
You must have the ST3000, not the older 3000 that does not have a display on the control head. If you have a ST3000 control head, I believe that the s100 base wires into the sea talk buss on the control head.
Capn Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 09:03   #3

The control unit has no display. just buttons ( -1* +1* and -10* + 10* , Standby,Auto and a rudder sensitivity nob or something like that.) Than there are connections bits for Power, Helm, Remote and Vane. The connections for the Remote and Vane consists of 4 pins
Old 22-08-2010, 10:30   #4

You can not use Sea Talk remotes with your unit. You can find a remote on ebay, but it will be hard wired. Make sure it has the 4 pin connector.
Old 22-08-2010, 16:40   #5

mmm, i had an other read of the manual and it says that it can be operated by a Handheld Control Unit( the hardwired one) and a Radio Navigation Interface, (the wireless one????) in NMEA format. connected to "Remote" on the Autohelm Unit with a special cable ( cat nr Z075)

Would it not be accepting signals of the actual wireless handheld unit S100, coz the S100 would be talking to the Radio Navigation Interface,no??
Old 22-08-2010, 17:03   #6

Boat: Irwin 325cc, "Second Wind"
Radio Navigation Interface=Loran

With the age of that unit, the radio interface they mention would be Loran C via NMEA 182 connection I would think, not a "wireless remote". In a recent quest for information about these units as a replacement for my failed unit I never came across any type of wireless remote for them, only the hardwired, plug in units.
Mi2ndWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 17:13   #7

The unit that you have is not ST or sea talk. It will not communicate with any ST device. With your unit, you have the options of a wind vane, remote control or radio nav interface. All hard wired. The radio nav interface allows you to use a GPS cross track error to steer. The GPS must output NMEA 180 or 183 for the radio nav to work. Remotes came in both 4 and 5 pin so check before you buy.
Old 22-08-2010, 18:18   #8

aa well, i gonna have to do it than with a wired handheld..ii just like the idea of having a wireless yoke for it...
Thing is now: what model of wired remote do i need..the only one i found is the ST600R and that seems to be Seatalk too so that will not work either than?
Old 04-06-2013, 09:22   #9

Boat: caroff Albion
Re: Raymarine Autohelm 3000

i got one of these! I turned it on the other day it seems to try and work but then the boat decide s to veer off to port...i have no manual and don't really know what i'm doing...any suggestions?
teapot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:46   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Most likely cause is one of the four darlington power transistors is non functional. Actually a not too hard repair. Does it turn left and right at the same speed or is one side slower response then the other.

There is a switch on the back too that if in the wrong position could cause a turn in one direction. Also try adjusting the rudder position knob.

BTW there are two NPN and two PNP darlinton transistors on the board. I just replace all at one time. Turning the wheel with the autopilot clutch engaged can and will burn out the transistors, even if the unit is in standby. The motor will generate a current that over a short time will cause one or more darlingtons to fail. Don't ask me how I know...
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 13:46   #11

Boat: caroff Albion

wow-i'm a marine engineer and i'm well impressed with such a precise reply! Thank you so much sailorchic34. I will be heading out for a long passage soon and need to sort it as i really can't be arsed to steer all the time and the wind vane ain't fitted yet, slack ain't I. At the minute when i switch her on she seems ok for the first few mo's but then just spits her dummy out and heads to port. I think i need to play with her a bit more (ha! Notice how i'm referring to her as 'her'...weird innit? It's an auto pilot not a yacht) i have tried fiddling with the rudder control knob and it just continues to act like an idiot. But, rather sensibly, i have just downloaded the manual so that might help out, anyway, thanks again for your advice, brilliant!
teapot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 14:00   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

The little switch on the back is set depending on weather its a left hand or right hand mount, that is the head unit is mounted on port or starboard . Try using a small screwdriver and flipping it the other way. I think if its opposite of how its mounted it will turn the opposite direction.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 14:13   #13

You need, I believe, a 4-wire remote, Autohelm part number Z076. This is not to be confused with the later part number Z101, which is the 3-wire version for ST3000s.

Check the socket for the remote on the head unit, I think you'll find it has 4 pins, in which case Z076 is the one.

This is kind of academic, as you have virtually no chance of finding one. You have more chance of buying unicorn **ss on Ebay. I've been looking for 2 years, and I've known people who've been looking for longer.

Sometimes you see an entire 3000 system with the remote included - so your best chance is to buy an entire system and then sell it without remote.

Or, buy a modern autopilot.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autohelm, autohelm 3000, raymarine