Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2022, 07:47   #1

Raymarine axiom MFD to pc - is this possible?

New Ray-marine system that will include an axiom Pro MFD and would like to send\mirror all functionality to a Ruggedized PC so that rout planning and other uses could be performed at various places around the boat.

It is my understanding that the apps/software available from Raymarine only utilize iOS and Android via the newish “Raymarine app”.

Are there workarounds for this?

What solutions are you utilizing to mirror Raymarine functionality to your non Raymarine devices?
SV-Viento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2022, 09:06   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV-Viento View Post
New Ray-marine system that will include an axiom Pro MFD and would like to send\mirror all functionality to a Ruggedized PC so that rout planning and other uses could be performed at various places around the boat.

It is my understanding that the apps/software available from Raymarine only utilize iOS and Android via the newish “Raymarine app”.

What solutions are you utilizing to mirror Raymarine functionality to your non Raymarine devices?

Only iOS and Android solutions are available off the shelf. Axiom is internally a standard android platform.
Old 21-11-2022, 10:51   #3

Boat: Southerly 480
Re: Raymarine axiom MFD to pc - is this possible?

In addition to the apps mentioned by GBN, Axiom’s also support miracast for viewing on your TV or Mira capable device (not sure if there’s a PC app). https://raymarine.custhelp.com/app/a...%29-capability

Like you, I originally thought of adding a ruggedized PC. I’ve switched my thinking to using a N2K connected Raspberry PI for Signal K data, and an iPad. Lower power requirements, and I can take the iPad anywhere on the boat.
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2022, 12:22   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimari View Post
In addition to the apps mentioned by GBN, Axiom’s also support miracast for viewing on your TV or Mira capable device (not sure if there’s a PC app). https://raymarine.custhelp.com/app/a...%29-capability

Like you, I originally thought of adding a ruggedized PC. I’ve switched my thinking to using a N2K connected Raspberry PI for Signal K data, and an iPad. Lower power requirements, and I can take the iPad anywhere on the boat.
Miracast new to me -thank you

I love my iPads and have used them for sometime with multiple weather and navigation apps.

This question starts with the need for a PC based laptop to inter face with the Mastervolt electrical system. Mastervolt interface systems only works with PC. Life already has too many screens and like the idea of ruggedized pc and pads for outdoor use.
Old 21-11-2022, 12:56   #5

I hear you on the Mastervolt issue. I have a work laptop (Mac but I use vmware fusion to run Windows). I have an EasyView which means I only need the laptop when there are issues. Granted, I've had more than a few. The Mastervolt tech support has been incredible though so far.

My setup is as previously described augmented by work Mac running Windows when needed. So far so good.
Old 21-11-2022, 17:44   #6

Quote:
I hear you on the Mastervolt issue. I have a work laptop (Mac but I use vmware fusion to run Windows). I have an EasyView which means I only need the laptop when there are issues. Granted, I've had more than a few. The Mastervolt tech support has been incredible though so far.

My setup is as previously described augmented by work Mac running Windows when needed. So far so good.
Windows on Mac also good idea. I think this was more common some time back and have not researched. We are Mac at home but better half is PC based for work. Its just crazy when we head out the number of screens we apparently NEED THXS again.
Old 23-11-2022, 06:34   #7

Boat: Manta 42 Mk IV Catamaran

Quote:

I have not tried this but Windows 11 is capable of running Android apps.

Here is a guide: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-g...pps-windows-11
Avionics_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2022, 07:50   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avionics_Joe View Post
I have not tried this but Windows 11 is capable of running Android apps.

Here is a guide: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-g...pps-windows-11
Another promising option. Will post back if it works.
Big thanks!!!
Old 24-11-2022, 09:09   #9

Quote:
Another promising option. Will post back if it works.
Big thanks!!!
Probably your best bet, but most emulation software for apps is crappy. Definitely try the app out to make sure everything works before you depend on it.

RE: Macs the new Macs are ARM based and Apple has said they will eventually run iOS apps. I suspect that ability is far off though. Emulating Windows on an ARM Mac is still problematic via Parallels and VMware Fusion. So be careful there.
Old 24-11-2022, 09:12   #10
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Probably your best bet, but most emulation software for apps is crappy. Definitely try the app out to make sure everything works before you depend on it.

RE: Macs the new Macs are ARM based and Apple has said they will eventually run iOS apps. I suspect that ability is far off though. Emulating Windows on an ARM Mac is still problematic via Parallels and VMware Fusion. So be careful there.

Miracast from axiom is not stable at all unfortunately in my experience
Old 26-11-2022, 08:10   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Miracast from axiom is not stable at all unfortunately in my experience
Sometimes the best (most appropriate) answers are not always the ones we hoped for. But even with a small N value my internal meta analysis of the above responses is strongly suggesting we will need a PC option for some interfaces and an iOS/android tablet for others.
Old 26-11-2022, 08:56   #12
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Sometimes the best (most appropriate) answers are not always the ones we hoped for. But even with a small N value my internal meta analysis of the above responses is strongly suggesting we will need a PC option for some interfaces and an iOS/android tablet for others.

Both the current iOS and Android Ray marine apps are notoriously unstable and Ray has received a lot of Compliaints. There’s meant to be an update soon but I’ve not seen a preview yet.

Tne miracast works but it doesn’t hold together for long periods and it’s frustrating

Hence at present there’s not a good reliable Pc orientated solution at all.
Old 26-11-2022, 10:23   #13

Quote:
Both the current iOS and Android Ray marine apps are notoriously unstable and Ray has received a lot of Compliaints. There’s meant to be an update soon but I’ve not seen a preview yet.

Tne miracast works but it doesn’t hold together for long periods and it’s frustrating

Hence at present there’s not a good reliable Pc orientated solution at all.
Boat is 17 months out but making final decisions soon to attempt to stay ahead of supply issues. I have been on the Raymarine site multiple times in last few days and without opening the apps you can see they are in transition. Hopefully enough time to get it sorted. Ounce sorted I’m hoping new system will be as stable as our previous RM system. it had far less functionality but you couldn’t kill it.
Old 26-11-2022, 23:38   #14
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Boat is 17 months out but making final decisions soon to attempt to stay ahead of supply issues. I have been on the Raymarine site multiple times in last few days and without opening the apps you can see they are in transition. Hopefully enough time to get it sorted. Ounce sorted I’m hoping new system will be as stable as our previous RM system. it had far less functionality but you couldn’t kill it.

Ray marine has the most reliable equipment in my experience. It’s Pc integration is wanting Ray themselves know this.
I have the engineering development firmware for axiom so hoping to do something myself
Old 27-11-2022, 09:24   #15

Quote:
Ray marine has the most reliable equipment in my experience. It’s Pc integration is wanting Ray themselves know this.
I have the engineering development firmware for axiom so hoping to do something myself
It's just a customized Android build - correct? I'm looking at doing an app over the winter.

Tags
marine, raymarine