Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2009, 08:09   #1

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
RayMarine Going Back to C-Map

Has anyone seen or used the newer RayMarine units with C-Map.. and is it the same as the older mapping using the same chips....
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 08:45   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Which units are you talking about?
Old 16-09-2009, 08:54   #3

Boat: Privilege 39
I don't know, but I just trolled through some docs, and the brand new G-series uses Navionics Platinum. The C-Series had different models depending on if you wanted Navionics or C-Map. It looks like the E-Series widescreen actually supports both types in the same unit.
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 08:59   #4

As far as I know the C and E series only support Navionics. That's the biggest knock on Raymarine if you intend to cruise the Bahamas.
Old 16-09-2009, 09:03   #5

Just checked seems that they are going back to C maps. They must have finally listened to the complaints.
Old 16-09-2009, 10:13   #6

Boat: Defever 41 "Bear Holiday"
Send a message via Skype™ to hanschristian38
From Raymairne's Web Site -

C-MAP® by Jeppesen Cartography Preloaded in New E-Series Widescreen with HybridTouch™ Display

Merrimack, N.H. and Denver, CO. – September 1, 2009 – Raymarine, Inc., a world leader in marine electronics, and navigation expert Jeppesen Marine today announced that C-MAP by Jeppesen cartography will come standard on the new Raymarine E-Series Widescreen with HybridTouch multifunction display. This marks the reunion of Raymarine navigation displays with C-MAP by Jeppesen technology and a powerful new partnership between the well-known marine electronics and navigation leaders. E-Series Widescreen customers will also have the option to upgrade to Jeppesen Marine’s new C-MAP 4D cartography, which offers boaters a virtual 3D world display enhanced with satellite photos and Jeppesen Marine’s unrivaled navigation detail and accuracy.

“Both Jeppesen and Raymarine have a long history of quality, customer loyalty and leading the charge in introducing new technology to our respective markets,” said James Detar, director of Light Marine for Jeppesen Marine. “We’re eager to meld those two histories together to redefine the future of marine navigation and literally change the way boaters see their world.”

The addition of C-MAP by Jeppesen charts means Raymarine customers will have access to the most up-to-date navigation information available. Because Jeppesen Marine maintains a constant focus on updating its database, the entire product lineup — C-MAP NT+, C-MAP MAX, and the new C-MAP 4D — is updated at least twice per year.

“The E-Series Widescreen and C-Map 4D Cartography will significantly enhance the navigation experience for recreational boaters,” said Peter Ward, executive chairman of Raymarine. “We share Jeppesen’s unwavering commitment to quality and accuracy, and we’re excited about the opportunities this partnership will bring. After seeing the E-Series Widescreen with C-MAP by Jeppesen charts we think our customers will be as well.”

Three versions of the E-Series Widescreen display are available preloaded with the choice of coastal charts for the USA and Canada; Europe; and South America, Africa, Russia and APAC. Customers can choose to upgrade to C-MAP 4D from Jeppesen Marine to experience 3D charting for improved situational awareness and satellite image overlay. In addition, C-MAP 4D charts provide access to raster charts, giving boaters an on-screen view of their familiar paper navigation charts. C-MAP 4D is also future proof, allowing boaters to easily update and add new data to their existing charts.

For more information about Raymarine’s new E-Series Widescreen with HybridTouch, please visit: Raymarine Marine Electronics - Welcome. Details about C-MAP by Jeppesen cartography can be found at: Jeppesen Marine Division.
hanschristian38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 14:59   #7
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
My only problem with that is that Jeppesen is bad about changing versions of their software and charts and charging you for both. So if you want a new area of charts, you have to upgrade to their latest version of software.

Now, this may not translate to the C-Maps on a chartplotter, but I just basically don't trust Jeppesen, especially after Boeing bought them. A few months before, they announced support in Nobeltec for S57s, all the free USA charts. So, I paid a few hundred bucks to upgrade to the latest version. So now I had 2 regions in vector & raster from them, several more in raster, and the whole US in S57 (including the rivers). About 6 months later, they dropped S57 support and changed from their own charts to C-Map. They gave me a free upgrade. No S57, and now you gotta pay extra for raster support. Even though I always bought the deluxe regions from them that included raster, they wouldn't give the "Raster Pak" to me. So, with my free upgrade, I lost most of my charts.

I just don't like the way they do business. That's why I now use OpenCPN and all free charts.

I keep saying I oughta just eBay the Nobeltec Admiral. It's a shame, 'cause Admiral is really a very nice package.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 17:08   #8
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Correction.

Correction. I misstated something. You CAN still buy the old Passport charts for older versions of Nobeltec.

So, one slam undeserved. Sorry.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 03:44   #9

Boat: Pearson Triton 28'6" S/V Alcyone
Send a message via Yahoo to TritonSailor
Didn't Navionics Gold and more so Navionics Platinum provide the same enhancements? What drew me to Navionics was their ability to copy the look and layout of paper charts. I didn't know that there was a problem with them or I wouldn't have bought an E-80 superpack! Is this another hit I gotta swallow?

Jeff

"If one does not know to which port is sailing, no wind is favorable."
TritonSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 10:40   #10

Boat: On boats a lot, but non are mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
Has anyone seen or used the newer RayMarine units with C-Map.. and is it the same as the older mapping using the same chips....
I have seen a new C Map chip it is not the same as the old C Map chips, I have some of those and don't think they will fit the new stuff coming out now.
powerskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 11:46   #11

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852
Depends where you are in the world. In French Polynesia Navionics are dead on because they incorporated the French charts. If you had C-map you were parked on land half the time.
In the Bahamas you would want C-map, not Navionics. I assume C-map incorporated the Explorer Charts for that area and Navionics did not.
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c-map, raymarine