Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2008, 22:35   #1

Boat: Cat Sailor
RayTech 6.0 / Vista issues

Huge let down!
Setting up my ultimate PC navigation / weather routing / ship's computer system for the Atlantic crossing with my new boat (in about two weeks, yes, I know about the hurricanes!)

1) A top of the line Sony Vaio laptop computer, monster 17" screen, Vista OS.
2) RayTech 6.0 software.
3) Raymarine USB Navigation Keyboard.
4) Iridium Satellite Phone.
5) All cables, adapters, and interface box (# 85001) to connect Satellite phone to the PC, and PC to the ship's E-120 system

Raymarine does not mention that RayTech 6.0 is NOT compatible with Vista. Version 6.1 (supposedly Vista compliant) Has also now been pushed back to a Fall release intead of this summer.

The USB Keyboard ABSOLUTELY, DOES NOT AT ALL work with Vista! We tested it with 2 XP and 2 Vista computers, and a powered USB hub. Works great with XP. Does not work with Vista!

And, why has the hsb2 USB 2.0 Interface Kit (# E85005) been discontinued?? Maybe because the whole thing just does not work as advertised?

Has anyone successfully interfaced a PC to a Raymarine system? I would love to hear about it.

Here is what Raymarine said:

Officially, RayTech RNS 6.0 is not compatible with Windows Vista in all regards. RayTech 6.1 will be the first release with full Vista compatibility. You can read more about this here:
Title: Compatibility with Microsoft Vista
URL: https://raymarine.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/raymarine.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1301&p_created=1169229731

That being said, I would think that Vista should be able to recognize the USB keyboard, as it uses exactly the same driver as a normal keyboard, called an HID (Humand Interface Device) driver. More likely the problem is with the USB port you are connecting to. The power requirement for the USB keyboard are slightly more than those of a standard computer keyboard. The port you are plugged into may not be supplying sufficient power. This article has someguidance on how to solve this:
Title: RayTech USB Navigation Keyboard does not respond.
URL: https://raymarine.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/raymarine.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1030&p_created=1088095636 (NO HELP HERE)

Sorry about the rant, just really bummed. Buyer beware.

In a few days I'll be trying to import GRIB files via the satellite phone. RayTech is supposed to be GRIB friendly, We'll see how that goes.
DreamSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 12:08   #2

Boat: Leopard 46 Cat "Tulliana"
You're not alone I have done similar to you, new Vista laptop, Raytech software etc. The first sign of problems was when the computer couldn't see the Navionics card reader and then the rest of the problems appear.
To get over the problem in the short term I have made my new laptop duel boot so I can start it in either Vista or XP until the new version is released. What I will be p*ssed off about is if Raymarine try and charge me for the upgrade!!!!
Adaero
Adaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 12:30   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Navionics card reader and then the rest of the problems appear.
I use the Navonics card reader just fine with Fugawi under Vista. The card reader was automatically dected and I could even use the SD slot to read and write data with no other software or even drivers to load.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 12:38   #4

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
I use the Navionics card reader and RayTech 6.0 under Vista without any trouble at all.

My 85001 interface box feeds NMEA to the serial port on my Thinkpad's docking station to RayTech. The Navionics card reader works on the USB ports on both the docking station and the laptop. No problems.

I don't have the remote USB keyboard.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 14:21   #5

Thanks all for the advice. I'm working on the dual boot system right now, but having problems getting XP to see the hard drive. I understand I need to install an XP driver for the SATA hard drive. No worries, I've got someone much smarter then me working on it!

As for the controller, it looks like many Vista users are having problems with the USB ports. I have not tried to solve this problem yet, but there are many discussions and possible solutions at this link which was sent to me (THANKS!)
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1254561&SiteID=17

Today I'm going to work on UUPlus and the Sat Phone. More to follow...
Old 29-07-2008, 15:34   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
You need to install XP first then install Vista. Vista will see deal with finding XP. XP won't have a clue. I did it that way for a while. No longer required. Two versions of Windows is way too much trouble to deal with.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 17:36   #7

Here's an update.

RayTech 6.0 is running on the Vista PC. Gave up on the dual boot system. Don't know that I will trust Vista yet without extensive testing. The USB controller still is un-reconized by Vista. Does not even know something has been plugged in! Bummer because that controller is super cool. I am duplicating everything on a smaller XP computer as a back up. Have been offered a third computer to try as well.

UUPlus and Outlook are being friendly. Sent test messages every which way via the Iridium phone... I thought. Much rejoycing, only to discover the messages were in fact sent over my home wireless router. Still need to determine if the Sat phone is correctly connected, attempt mail and GRIB downloads.

Now looking at weather routing and downloading GRIB files via the sat phone. RayTech claims to support GRIB viewing, and even animated weather, but it will not open files downloaded from GMN or SailDocs. Corrupted file or error messages. I'm now thinking of just getting additional software for viewing the GRIB files. Anybody have a favorite? Anybody try GRIB Explorer, or WindPilot? Other suggestions?

I'll have to add all this $$ up some day when I am mentally prepared to see what I spent on this wild goose chase! Anyhow, I hope to get everything happy and running at least once in the next week. Currently, I am patiently waiting for someone to tell me when I should be in France, to assist in the delivery of my new boat, to the Caribbean. Ex-factory was last month, apparently the boat exists, I paid for it, I insured it, but I have yet to even see a photo. You would think that someone in France could at least e-mail me a photo!

Cheers, DreamSeeker
Old 19-08-2008, 04:43   #8

Boat: ETAP 46DS, 14 meter, 4Waves
The best program to get/view Grib files

In response to the question what program to use for grib files I would suggest UGRIB. It is free and available via www.grib.us. Give it a try.

The Belgian Raymarine distributor just let me know Raytech RNS 6.1 was planned for release for this week but is again postponed.

Regards,

Arne
4waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 22:21   #9

Boat: Jeanneau, Sun Oddesy DS, 42, Zofia
Hi,

Vista issues are generaly the result of the application running from the program files folder. Vista does not like this and will create a Virtual copy of all files that are modified in the viirtual store.

The best and easest solution is to turn off 'User Account Control'. You will find this in the control panel user account section. It is burried very deep, However, once you turn this off you may find that EVER THING runs just fine.
Old 06-09-2008, 17:04   #10

Hello everyone
Need help with Maxsea (v.11) GPS (Fururno 32) connection. When I connect the GPS to my laptop (have Windows vista) Maxsea does not shows the position, but I can see that the GPS send data. Anybody can help me with that?
irma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 18:59   #11

Boat: Jeanneau, Sun Oddesy DS, 42, Zofia
Irma,

Try turniong off User account control in the user account section under control panel.
Old 18-12-2008, 09:24   #12

Boat: Hughes Columbia 36 cc
Just found out RNS 6.1 is NOT MS Vista compatible. 6 months into a full Raymarine product outfit (AIS, Radar, E120, Wx, etc.) with new laptop, have been awaiting the promised release 6.1 as advertised to support Vista and now find out still won't support VISTA. Raymarine blaming Windows. Raymarine suggests load XP. Others seem OK with Vista.
BeeG9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 10:05   #13

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
You all have two issues here. One is you are using Raymarine and the other you are using Vista. In my opinion, take it for what it is worth, you have chosen to put the two most problematic systems I know of together and will in the future know a great deal of aggravation. If you are already committed than there is not much to say. But for those still considering this I suggest you look closely at alternatives.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2008, 10:29   #14

Boat: S M Hudson 60' narrowboat
Send a message via Skype™ to richardhula
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeG9 View Post
Just found out RNS 6.1 is NOT MS Vista compatible. 6 months into a full Raymarine product outfit (AIS, Radar, E120, Wx, etc.) with new laptop, have been awaiting the promised release 6.1 as advertised to support Vista and now find out still won't support VISTA. Raymarine blaming Windows. Raymarine suggests load XP. Others seem OK with Vista.
Not strictly true as RNS 6.1 is being brought out to be Vista compatible. BUT see latest Raymarine comments:

"When utilized with the Windows Vista operating system, RayTech RNS 6.1 features support for Planning Mode and the mode's associated offline features. When utilized with the Windows Vista operating system, RayTech RNS 6.1 additionally features support for onboard serial data communications (ex. SeaTalk, NMEA 0183 , etc.) with one's marine electronics. However, when utilized with the Windows Vista operating system, RayTech RNS 6.1 does not feature support for SeaTalkhs communications with E-Series and G-Series products nor does RayTech RNS 6.1 feature support for legacy hsb2 to PCMCIA and hsb2 to USB 2.0 Interface products. Should one want to interface a PC to an E-Series or G-Series system via SeaTalkhs or interface a PC to a legacy hsb2 to PCMCIA and hsb2 to USB 2.0 Interface, one's PC must have the Windows XP operating system installed on it."

They claim the ever increasing delay in bringing out v6.1 is due to the "well known Vista networking problems" which may be also explain the above limitations. Strangely a Google search did not find much reference to such.

FWIW I have dual boot laptop running XP Pro/Vista Home without problems, USB or otherwise. RNS 6.0 installs & works fine on both systems except that under Vista all chart types display with some glitch or other which I admit makes it virtually unusable as a chartplotter.

Regards

If in doubt RTFM
richardhula is offline   Reply With Quote