Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2012, 02:16   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Reckless behavior of CF member !

I must tell my system that it can't steer to wind for hours on end, it will come as a surprise to it. Also a surprise to Raymarine

Quote:
vane mode
Utilizing wind information from SeaTalk wind instru- ments SmartPilot steers to wind angle and sets the boat up so that the sails are at full trim (balanced)
wind trim
9 trim levels filter out unwanted autopilot move- ment due to wind gusts, conserving power while maintaining a straighter track
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 02:30   #17

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Well I have had multiple (i.e. at least 4) Raymarine autopilots, the current one being an SPX. I know what Raymarine has in the literature, but I also know how they work. Because masthead wind indicators are so unstable they have to average the results over a pretty significant amount of time. Thus they cannot respond quickly to changes in wind direction.
Quote:
9 trim levels filter out unwanted autopilot move- ment due to wind gusts, conserving power while maintaining a straighter track
We had a saying in the high tech industry: if you can't fix it, feature it. So they are saying that by ignoring short term changes in wind direction they can steer a straight line - making my point nicely. As for experience, when on the wind I have had to sail a bit lower and overtrim more than I would by hand or vane in order to prevent the sails flogging on small changes in wind. It works; just not nearly as well as a vane.
CarinaPDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 03:47   #18
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
. Thus they cannot respond quickly to changes in wind direction.

Just wondering how offen in a 1 minutes the wind in Orgean changes direction to such an amount that it is an issue for someone already in autopilot mode and not hand steering mode?
Old 13-02-2012, 03:54   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Reckless behavior of CF member !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Just wondering how offen in a 1 minutes the wind in Orgean changes direction to such an amount that it is an issue for someone already in autopilot mode and not hand steering mode?
Depends.... Heinz or Cross & Blackwell....??

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 04:52   #20
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Ppl, Mark is an engineer like me... there is an advanced Simrad/Robertson pilot installed that has gybe and tack protection features and an advanced ultrasonic Maretron wind sensor for 5 or 10 updates per SECOND. His Maretron GPS sensor is 32 channel with 10 updates per second too. This pilot steers a VMG that few can improve upon

p.s. the gybe/tack protection even works when not in wind-mode. So if the AP is steering to a waypoint or steering a ompass heading, it will still prevent the gybe while sounding alarms etc.

ciao!
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 05:19   #21
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Reckless Behavior of CF member !

Does his new set up have an integrated Alarm Clock?

Zzzzzz.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 05:47   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey
Does his new set up have an integrated Alarm Clock?

Zzzzzz.
Oh yes, and fully integrated, wireless temperature sensors... you slap them onto the beers, pop them in the fridge and the integrated system will wake you up when they are cold even when that is before arriving at your destination waypoint which is plotted on the integrated electronic chart!

Nick.

Old 13-02-2012, 05:52   #23
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I'm not worried. Going by the picture, he's moving away from us!
Thank goodness someone has been able to keep his head in this crisis -- although I do hope you confirmed this observation using your chart plotter ...
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 08:07   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Thank goodness someone has been able to keep his head in this crisis -- although I do hope you confirmed this observation using your chart plotter ...
His course was ENE which would bring him to the UK or FR I think. His waypoint was set at Isla Linton due E in Panama but we all know how integrated autopilots and electronic chartplotters driven by GPS put you way off course...

ciao!
Nick.
Old 13-02-2012, 08:33   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

I'm in the eastern Med and I'm worried!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 08:38   #26
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Oh yes, and fully integrated, wireless temperature sensors... you slap them onto the beers, pop them in the fridge and the integrated system will wake you up when they are cold even when that is before arriving at your destination waypoint which is plotted on the integrated electronic chart!

Nick.

I was pretty happy with my systems, but now I know it is just a piece of sh*t and needs some serious upgrade. There goes my $5000 budget this month but some things just are a must have!
Old 13-02-2012, 08:38   #27
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
His course was ENE which would bring him to the UK or FR I think. His waypoint was set at Isla Linton due E in Panama but we all know how integrated autopilots and electronic chartplotters driven by GPS put you way off course...

ciao!
Nick.
But I still much prefer the romance(?!) of the approach from Shane Acton ("Shrimpy" - 18' Plywood Caprice - RTW in the 1970's)...."sailed into the Atlantic for a few days, and then turned left" (I paraphrase)......he was heading from Europe to the Carribean - made landfall in Brazil ........even if he probably made up that quote (passage plan?!) only when he wrote his book.....

"I pressed the GOTO Button and then left the gizmos alone to do the rest" seems (to me) to lose something .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 08:39   #28

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

He must have put all the beer in the starboard hull, judging by the list. Hope the trades hold so he can go on starboard tack all the way to Miami.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 10:25   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
He must have put all the beer in the starboard hull, judging by the list. Hope the trades hold so he can go on starboard tack all the way to Miami.
Oh yes I forgot about the listing... it is not possible of course because it is a multi hull

They have 6-8 months of provisioning for themselves aboard plus a literal truckload of groceries for other cruisers in the San Blas.... all in the starboard hull

ciao!
Nick.
Old 13-02-2012, 11:02   #30

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Reckless Behavior of CF Member !

Gee you guys mean theres stuff like this out there?? really? I mean I love a auto steer, and love most any type of wind vane ! but steering under sail automaticly !! boy Im really behind !! I have a old hand held Gps I better start readin a little! LOL Im not really kidding at all LOL Im way behind !! Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags