Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2022, 10:20   #46

Boat: Other people's boats
Re: recommended Navigation software for tablet

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
That search is poor as I don’t know the intended lat Lon of the waypoint. On my ray plotter I can simply place the cursor anywhere on the chart and get immediate range and bearing
Ah, hit send too soon. My use case for this would be hearing coordinates over the radio, and wanting to quickly see the location, or create a waypoint there.

Fortunately on SEAiq it's not too hard to do this (drop a waypoint near me, edit it to update the lat/lon, hit the "center" button to pan the chart to it). For your example I can simply touch the screen to view lat/lon, bearing, and range, which also allows the "drag the cursor around" method of finding a specified location.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 11:53   #47
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
Are you sure? I see the old pricing on my phone, but it gives an error when I attempt to renew one of them. I'm hesitant to delete and re-install (as I too have some older charts on it).
See images… I didn’t do the fingerprint because I don’t plan to pay… I already paid for life long updates, a deal they refuse to hold up to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4AD87B02-314A-41BA-9ED5-0A123986D3D8.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	494.4 KB
ID:	265397   Click image for larger version

Name:	5E88B826-181E-4742-8F6E-17138A494044.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	420.9 KB
ID:	265398  

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 13:20   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
See images… I didn’t do the fingerprint because I don’t plan to pay… I already paid for life long updates, a deal they refuse to hold up to.
In this case, I added a small $3.99 subscription, which appeared to go through, then I got a popup that an error occurred and even with the "restore charts" I don't see the updated "correction service until" date.

I'll try pinging their support, but I think something is still off.
Old 29-04-2023, 02:50   #49

Boat: Cross 46 Trimaran 'Migration'

Hi All,
Navionics is clearly an app designed by people who don't use it every day and are usually behind a desk and not on the water. That's why we use OpenCPN on an android tablet (as well as on a laptop). It's available for almost every platform except iOS, and it's free on all of them except for Android where it is only $10. (Don't download the free OpenCPN from the Playstore as it is useless.)

Charts are available in many places. MBtile charts for nearly all the Pacific Island groups, the East Coast of Australia including Tasmania, several areas of the Caribbean (Bahamas, DR, Turks & Caicos, San Blas), and all of Pacific Coast from the US border to South America are available at http://TheChartLocker.com. Most areas have four types of charts: ArcGIS satellite, Bing satellite, Google satellite, and Navionics.

Video tutorial on how to use them in OpenCPN is available as well. All free.

If your tablet has trouble in bright sunlight, invert the colors, coral heads pop right out!

Cheers,
Bruce
Old 04-05-2023, 14:45   #50

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
In this case, I added a small $3.99 subscription, which appeared to go through, then I got a popup that an error occurred and even with the "restore charts" I don't see the updated "correction service until" date.

I'll try pinging their support, but I think something is still off.
Nothing is off, just done chart updates and new maps with ISailor.

What you have to do is click on renew, then comes up a pop up with administration of account or ok, click on ok and wait. it will download and install the update.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2023, 00:51   #51

Boat: Kaufman 49

I've been using C-Map on a Samsung tablet sailing southern Australia, I have had the app shut down a couple of times and will not re-initialize or re-open without logging in which means being on-line, which I am not if offshore. It has been frustrating and dangerous. Any thoughts on this?
Arcsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2023, 01:00   #52

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Highly recommend:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ilgrib_wr.paid
Old 23-05-2023, 06:56   #53

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcsurf View Post
I've been using C-Map on a Samsung tablet sailing southern Australia, I have had the app shut down a couple of times and will not re-initialize or re-open without logging in which means being on-line, which I am not if offshore. It has been frustrating and dangerous. Any thoughts on this?
Arcsurf, if you go back to my post #33 in this thread, there's a potential solution. The upside is that the charts are excellent, super detailed, perfectly geo-referenced, are derived from multiple sources (including CMap, Navionics, ArcGIS, Bing, Google, & others if you want), are available offline, & free. You could even continue using your Samsung tablet up at your helm if you want, but you'll need a laptop as well. The bad news is that you have to make them, because I haven't made charts for Oz yet.

If you make good high-quality charts of Oz, then other cruisers will want them as well, & you could publish them on one of the chart-sharing sites like ours (svOcelot.com) or Bruce Balan's.
Old 23-05-2023, 06:57   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcsurf View Post
It has been frustrating and dangerous. Any thoughts on this?
Agree, and sounds like a good reason to swap to something else. Even if it's not the app that's causing the shutdown, that's an inappropriate design decision.
Old 23-05-2023, 07:00   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
Nothing is off, just done chart updates and new maps with ISailor.

What you have to do is click on renew, then comes up a pop up with administration of account or ok, click on ok and wait. it will download and install the update.
Yes, it has indeed been working properly for a little while now. They had some issues some time back (described in another thread) that were since resolved.
Old 24-05-2023, 09:07   #56

Boat: Cross 46 Trimaran 'Migration'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hacking View Post
You could even continue using your Samsung tablet up at your helm if you want, but you'll need a laptop as well. The bad news is that you have to make them, because I haven't made charts for Oz yet.

If you make good high-quality charts of Oz, then other cruisers will want them as well, & you could publish them on one of the chart-sharing sites like ours (svOcelot.com) or Bruce Balan's.

TheChartLocker.com doesn't have South Australia yet but you will find Victoria and Tasmania as well as all the eastern states.

Cheers,
Bruce

Tags
men, navigation, software