Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2019, 07:25   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46
Repeater Instruments

I want to locate a repeater wind and tridata instrument cluster in cockpit so they are visible when on engine or starboard tack from the helm station that has the engine controls. Port helm currently has tridata (depth speed log) and a wind graphic but requires changing helms to see; other helm has engine controls to starboard and autopilot and a scrollable display that has several data pages that have to be cycled through in sequence; the wind screen is in words not a graphic display which is annoying and requires reading and interpreting rather than a graphic display. The MFD is Raymarine E120 series and the instruments are ST60 SeaTalk. Raymarine does not support ST 60s anymore.
Is what I want to do feasible and are there compatible instruments that would do the job?
NightSky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:17   #2

Boat: Catalina 320
Re: Repeater Instruments

I recently connected ST60 instruments to a garmin chartplotter by using a Seatalk to Seatalk ng converter and a Seatalk ng to Nmea 2000 adapter cable, ~ $125. All the data on the Seatalk is available to the chartplotter and displayed as you wish. The wind gauge screen on the garmin is best I've seen, gives wind VMG, Drift everything. It's easily programable to display anything you want.
About halfway thru this video they display the wind gauge page.
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:26   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46

I get too verbose and lose the focus of what I'm trying to say with details. Simply put: I have ST 60 Series full array, E 120 series Raymarine MFD on Seatalk not NG. I want to add additional tridata and wind instrument displays as a repeater. What is involved and needs considering? Is it plug and play off the MFD? Can you buy just the display without the transducer - looked don't see.
NightSky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 17:00   #4

Boat: Catalina 320

The Raymarine I40 series will connect via the rectangular Seatalk on your ST60 instruments, there's 2 on each st60 display and are daisy chained and it's usual to have an open one on one end.
https://www.defender.com/category.js...690&id=2028821
The I60 and I70 (a small mfd) require a seatalk to seatalk ng converter but it's dead simple.
Raymarine SeaTalk1 to SeaTalk NG Converter Kit
Once you got Seatalk ng you could use any nmea 2000 mfd with a converter cable, or any new Ray mfd with just a Seatalk ng cable included with the converter.
I mentioned the Garmin I used because I got a 7" on sale for $400 and it has wind gauges that are great for sailing, anything on the Seatalk bus can be displayed. I find them easier to use than Ray and you can customize to have anything you wish displayed.
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, rum