Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2018, 13:12   #31

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Re: Replacing an old chart plotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deryck View Post
I agree. I assume that he likes Apple products. I checked prices in Harvey Norman at the weekend and found what looks like a decent Samsung tablet with built in 3G system for half the price of an ipad.
And you don't need 3G or sim card slot for GPS to work on droids so one without is less again.
Buy a spare for the spare for the spare for the spare and you're still in front.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 13:26   #32

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Something to consider when replacing if you have the space.
Seiwa Explorer 3 multifunction chartplotter

I have this and love it and have used them on several other vessels over the years.
Advantage being you use your own screen whether it be big small, waterproof or not.
I have an old 240v 21 inch lcd monitor sitting well out of the weather on mine, larger real estate is great but will soon be putting a $160 12v 24 inch LED TV on it
https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/kogan-2...es-6-lh6000-a/
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 16:23   #33

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Something to consider when replacing if you have the space.

Seiwa Explorer 3 multifunction chartplotter

I have this and love it and have used them on several other vessels over the years.

Advantage being you use your own screen whether it be big small, waterproof or not.

I have an old 240v 21 inch lcd monitor sitting well out of the weather on mine, larger real estate is great but will soon be putting a $160 12v 24 inch LED TV on it

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/kogan-2...es-6-lh6000-a/

This is awesome - when our Raymarine ever dies this is the route we’ll go. I assume it allows any display anywhere (more than 1?). Though I guess we get that anyway with RayView. Hmmm.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 16:59   #34

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

auckland to wellington is a difficult first passage. It's difficult to say which way to go around the island. I went down east coast, and I anchored in castle point in 60 knot winds. I then had to beat against 35 knots to make wellington before the next storm (they were about 48 hours apart) The next day I woke up to a dragging anchor in evans bay with 50 knot wind.

Why don't you sail to fiji instead?
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 17:33   #35

Boat: Bristol 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Why not just get some paper charts? I know that may be considered strange and a bit abnormal but why not? Get one small scale to show the passage and a couple of harbor charts in case of stopovers and Bob's your uncle.

Then when you get the boat home you can take your time to pick and choose what you want to do for a plotter. Save the paper charts to show off like rare antiques.
I'm with this guy. You know you need them anyway. Combined with a good hand bearing compass and some parallel rulers, charts provide you with a navigation setup that doesn't need electrons.

I like my chartplotter. If it was between that and charts, I would take charts, everytime.
Mainebristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 19:04   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
auckland to wellington is a difficult first passage. It's difficult to say which way to go around the island. I went down east coast, and I anchored in castle point in 60 knot winds. I then had to beat against 35 knots to make wellington before the next storm (they were about 48 hours apart) The next day I woke up to a dragging anchor in evans bay with 50 knot wind.

Why don't you sail to fiji instead?
Yes, I know only too well! I've lived in Wellington for 22 years and know how fickle the weather around NZ can be. Even during the last month we've been hit by the remnants of 2 tropical cyclones at the height of summer! So, I'm certainly not under-estimating the potential difficulty of this trip and that's why I'm happy to pay for a professional delivery skipper and 1 other experienced crew member for the trip. My limited sailing experience doesn't give me the confidence to tackle this trip any other way.

And, yes, the more I think about it, paper charts may be the way to go for this trip. The delivery skipper will be bringing their portable GPS gear with them anyway but it would also help me add to my experience using 'old world' charts - and if there's a power failure along the way then the paper charts are still there to keep us right.
Deryck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 20:10   #37

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

I use a Sony Xperia Z4 tablet on a cheap suction cup mount I bought on Amazon. It's daylight readable in direct sun, and I use an app that brings the screen level down way bellow it's normal dimmed setting so it doesn't blind me at night. It's also waterproof. After my 1000 mile maiden voyage when I bought the boat, I just washed it in the sink. I installed a waterproof USB plug at the helm and it's good to go.
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote