Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2021, 15:13   #1

Boat: Cabo Rico
Replacing e7 chart plotter with Axiom7

I am considering changing out the Raymarine e7 for the newer Axiom7

When I look at it I notice it doesn't have a control knob like the e7? Usually in the rain the e7 touch screen would not work at all, so I am wondering, how does the Axiom work in heavy weather?

Also, I am interested in general impressions of the chart plotter, and particularly from anyone that also had an e series plotter.

Thanks all!
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 21:35   #2

Boat: Outremer 55L
Re: Replacing e7 chart plotter with Axiom7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamlicoTraveler View Post
I am considering changing out the Raymarine e7 for the newer Axiom7

When I look at it I notice it doesn't have a control knob like the e7? Usually in the rain the e7 touch screen would not work at all, so I am wondering, how does the Axiom work in heavy weather?

Also, I am interested in general impressions of the chart plotter, and particularly from anyone that also had an e series plotter.

Thanks all!
Note, all this is about the Axiom+, not the Axiom, so some things may not apply.

We recently changed our e95 to an Axiom+, both 9”, but our MFD is located at our nav table in the salon. We thought about adding the remote keypad, but for now are using it with just touch. With some relatively rough coastal passages, but no water(!), the touch screen was fine.

Compared to the e95, the Axiom+ touch screen is absolutely better. It’s accurate and tolerates wet fingers. But I’d be a bit nervous if it was getting water washing over it.

Most of the features and apps are good upgrades, as well as Lighthouse 3. It integrates fine with the existing i70 and p70 displays, plus adds new screens based on LH 3.

A few installation issues due to our existing 2014/15 era SeatalkNG network and NMEA0183 instruments:
- Unlike the e95, the Axiom+ has no NMEA0183 input, so we had to buy an Actisense NGW-1-AIS gateway to get our NMEA0183 AIS output from the standalone ICOM AIS unit to our SeatalkNG network. If you have any NMEA0183 instruments you need to figure out how to get that data to your Seatalk network. We only had one instrument and already have a Yacht Designs NMEA2000 WiFi gateway, so didn’t bother with a multiplexer.
- Also unlike the e95, which had several SeatalkNG connections, the Axiom+ has just one each of RayNet, Seatalk2000, and USB connections, as well as the sonar connection. We bought a Raymarine network switch so that we could connect our Raymarine radar (with a RayNet connection) as well as an RJ45 to RayNet cable from our Cerbo to the MFD. If you’re fine with just one RayNet connection then a switch isn’t necessary.
- We had to add a NMEA2000 to SeatalkNG adapter to connect the Axiom+ to our SeatalkNG network.
- Everything has to be recommissioned, especially the autopilot. We didn’t realise this prior to our first post-installation outing, so it was a good thing we didn’t apply the autopilot close to shore or other boats.

One downgrade - the chart card slot is in the back of the Axiom+, so it means we have to remove the nav table panel to get to the back of the plotter to change cards. The e95’s card slot was in the front.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 22:36   #3

Boat: Island Packet 40

There is a Raycontrol app if you want to remotely control your Axium from a Android tablet.
Old 06-07-2021, 07:30   #4

Boat: Cabo Rico

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
One downgrade - the chart card slot is in the back of the Axiom+, so it means we have to remove the nav table panel to get to the back of the plotter to change cards. The e95’s card slot was in the front.
That sounds kinda crazy. I'm going to have to go look at one and see that. I guess if it's in a Navpod you have to to take out the whole unit from the navpod to change cards? I know having it in front exposed it to salt water, and that's the problem with my unit. The chart card reader of the e7 only is working sporadically.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 08:57   #5

Boat: X-Yachts X4.9 15.0m

I have Axiom 7 Pro at the helm station. The touch screen stops working reliably when it is wet from either rain or sea spray. The SW interprets some of the wet patches as commands and so the picture scrolls around, zooms in and out and executes unexpected commands to the point that it is unusable. With the Pro, you have the option to lock out the touch screen and drive the display with the control knob; rotate for zoom, scroll keys to move the cursor around and central press button to click. The control knob is less intuitive and you will use the touch screen much more frequently, but in bad weather the control knob is essential if the screen will get wet.
dcarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 09:16   #6

Boat: Beneteau 323

I recently got an Axiom 7 to replace my very aged chartplotter. I was very unclear on many of the operations based on the instructions, even including the advanced operation instructions which I downloaded. Although I am a reader of manuals, 450 pages was pretty daunting. Then I discovered that there is a weekly session on YouTube in which Raymarine gives very useful instructions on how to use the Axiom, and if you are live, they answer your questions. All the old ones are archived on YouTube, so you can get an excellent idea of the functionality by checking out the videos. One of them is at , and you can easily find the rest.
tweitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 10:12   #7

I replaced a 12 inch E Series MFD with a 12 inch axiom pro about three years ago. Also had to install new digital radar at the same time for compatibility with the axiom pro. I have been very pleased with both the new radar and the new chartplotter. The axiom pro has a much sharper screen and I really like the dock to dock auto routing, which I use frequently. I’ve had no trouble with the touchscreen, but my chart plotter is behind the windscreen under the dodger so it rarely gets wet.
nickorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 10:26   #8

Boat: Beneteau 373

I added the Axiom 7, got a converter from Defender so it would talk to my older NMEA 0183 Raymarine stuff.
I like using the Raycontrol APP on my iPad to control it from below at the chart table.
James M B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 10:39   #9

I run Axiom 7 with RM autopilot. Works great for me, easy to use, touch screen has been great (but no heavy weather use yet). Really don't have any bad feedback.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 10:41   #10

One more item - i think you can add the wheel with buttons separately to any axiom

https://www.raymarine.com/multifunct...-10/index.html

George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 10:50   #11

Boat: Leopard 40

Have the Axiom 9 and love it. The slot in the back has pros and cons. The slots in front on our previous raymarine mfd gave lots of trouble with salt and water issues. Also you had to keep taking it out as they easily disappeared.
Slot in the back of the axiom solves or those, but it is a problem if you need to regularly access your card
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 11:05   #12

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I’ve had a few annoying touch hiccups in the rain with our axiom 9. But simply wiping my forearm across the screen solved the problem.

The SD card slot is sort of annoying, but I seldom have need to pull the card other than updates (marina WiFi too slow to download updates). If you’re frequently changing cards, I’d opt for the external card reader to hook to the system.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 12:29   #13

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_SD View Post
One more item - i think you can add the wheel with buttons separately to any axiom

https://www.raymarine.com/multifunct...-10/index.html

Yes, that’s the remote keypad I referenced earlier. It will connect with any Axiom or Axiom+ and sounds like a requirement if your plotter screen gets water on it.

It is hardwired, so if your MFD is on a binnacle in the cockpit you may need to add a bracket for the keypad. It requires its own power feed - it doesn’t get power from the plotter.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 05:33   #14

Boat: Caliber LRC 35’

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweitz View Post
I recently got an Axiom 7 to replace my very aged chartplotter. I was very unclear on many of the operations based on the instructions, even including the advanced operation instructions which I downloaded. Although I am a reader of manuals, 450 pages was pretty daunting. Then I discovered that there is a weekly session on YouTube in which Raymarine gives very useful instructions on how to use the Axiom, and if you are live, they answer your questions. All the old ones are archived on YouTube, so you can get an excellent idea of the functionality by checking out the videos. One of them is at , and you can easily find the rest.
Thanks Tweitz - this is very helpful.

We had an Axiom Pro installed last spring. I was leaning toward a B&G Zeus, as it seemed more intuitive to me and a better fit for sailing. But our installer, who had a very good reputation and sold both, recommended Raymarine as we had other Raymarine components and the worldwide availability for service and parts. There were other factors also, including the clarity of the screen.

In any event, like you, I’ve found it challenging to get to know the Axiom. Seems like it can do so much and go so far, but I’m just caught in the doldrums inching along. So I’m glad to have the link for the weekly sessions.

To the specific question of the OP, I was adamant that we needed the knob on the pro version. But, I rarely, actually pretty much never, use it. The touch screen is so much more convenient. We’ve been in some nasty weather, running charts and the auto pilot from the wet screen at night without any problems. I’m glad to have the Knob just in case. But the Pro version was really just an expensive insurance plan for us. If you have a wet cockpit, or no Bimini, it might be different for you. I wish I’d spent the money adding a wireless remote for our autopilot instead, which takes a lot of backward engineering, as there’s not one yet for the Axiom directly.
SV.StellaMaris is offline   Reply With Quote