Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 17:42   #1

Boat: boat less ATM
Rest of World Navionics Card

I am looking at buying a new plotter but was wondering how accurate the ROW charts are. I have the gold navionics card for all Australia but am planning on heading to Indonesia & Thailand. Do I just buy a ROW card?
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 23:14   #2

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter
Re: Rest of world Navionics card

I have 2 x E140W chartplotters interfaced on the boat. 1 has ROW charts imbedded and 1 has N & S America. I can tell you that the charts are very detailed except for tides which are not included??? However the problem seems to be in the positioning, Currently our system is showing us up to .35 NM from our exact position determined through Radar and dead reckoning as well as sonar soundings.

Last year we sailed south to Sandakan and stopped in Kudat which has a man made bay which is very detailed on the charts. The GPS showed us over 1000 ft outside the bay and several hundred feet south of our actual position. On the way back north from Sandakan we again anchored in the bay and the GPS showed us exactly wherew we actually were. As I said very detailed charts.

After much consternation and discussions with Raymarine, they suggested that the Americans had probably programmed an error into the satlitlites due to the troubles with the N Koreans and possibly the pirates. lol

This year the GPS seems to be about worse and we would be grounded every day if we followed the GPS as we are constantly sailing over islands and shoals on the chart. I know that there is another post regarding a Garmin system in Florida and I can assure you that we are using the correct Datum for our charts. We also have 4 GPS antennas and the chartplotters correspond with my laptop which has its own GPS satelitte used with separate Navionic charts. The AIS GPS also corresponds to the rest so what is out??

Lots of dirty water from river outflows and tidal currents so do not trust the electronic positions although as I said the charts are very detailed once you know where you actually are.
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 23:25   #3

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Message I get is to have paper chart backup a plot/check the electronic charts with radar plots.

In the Pacific this is important I gather.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:25   #4

The GPS is correct and accurate we land plane on center line with it.

The chart we use on boat are not and that when the point representing us on it show us on land. Have some fun do some Google earth image superposition on some C-map and you will understand quickly.

The GPS is working the chart-plotters is working the chart in some part of the world are not accurate very simple.
SvLetitgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 14:54   #5
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

Here is something I wrote up a few months back about the errors you can find on charts, paper and electronic.

==>Inland Waters Resources - Chart Errors

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 15:26   #6

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Anybody ever ck their hand held or mounted location only GPS against the reading on their chart plotter?? I still use only paper charts and DR and a hand held. theres been a couple of times my wifes laptop and her Capt Chart system with a GOOD puck GPS has a driffernt reading then the hand held ! Boy let me tell ya things get very intersting on our bridge when this occurs ! LOL lets ya know why a good bearing compass, and good binoculars are a #1 priorty on our vessel no matter what electronics we have (except for Radar) I feel I would rather have a radar working when I approch land, then all the plotters ! Just my 2 cents Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 15:36   #7

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
LOL lets ya know why a good bearing compass, and good binoculars are a #1 priorty on our vessel no matter what electronics we have (except for Radar) I feel I would rather have a radar working when I approch land, then all the plotters ! Just my 2 cents Bob and Connie

+1 lets say as well as.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 16:13   #8

Absolutely right that why you should only use GPS with WAAS standard post 2008.

This reduce drastically, the error issue.

http://www.gps.gov/technical/ps/2008...e-standard.pdf

Of course all other form of good seamanship shall also be applied, but that was not the intent of the original poster.
SvLetitgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 16:28   #9

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by svstrider View Post
I am looking at buying a new plotter but was wondering how accurate the ROW charts are. I have the gold navionics card for all Australia but am planning on heading to Indonesia & Thailand. Do I just buy a ROW card?
I contacted Raymarine and Navionics about the chart options too. I wanted to buy the Raymarine E7 with the ROW charts. I was told by Navionics that these charts only show depth to 30' and it leaves a lot of detail out. The rep recommended not navigating with them... of course they want me to buy all their carts.

I decided to buy a Simrad NSS7
Matt Johnson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 16:44   #10

Boat: 2010 Andrews 28

SVSTRIDER,

I have a Raymarine E80 multi function display in excellent condition along with Raymarine GPS antenna and all cables for sale. Send me a PM if interested.
silversailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 08:19   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
I contacted Raymarine and Navionics about the chart options too. I wanted to buy the Raymarine E7 with the ROW charts. I was told by Navionics that these charts only show depth to 30' and it leaves a lot of detail out. The rep recommended not navigating with them... of course they want me to buy all their carts.

I decided to buy a Simrad NSS7
I have Navionics gold for OZ and ROW and if it is for the depth as mentioned I have found no difference between the two, by experience I would double check Navionics tidal stream information I have found them sometime in error.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navionics