Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2020, 03:21   #31

Boat: Farr 43`
Re: Route from Queensland (AUS) to Panama

Thanks Moo

Great information there.

I thought you were trolling me

Also thought you would dispense with the passive aggressive and call bull****.

BTW Aussies still think they own Antarctica.

Cheers
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 03:46   #32

Boat: ‘89 Hallberg-Rassy 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
4900 is about right .

A little more or less depending on how far south you go.

A sustained 5kt lift SOG over Boat speed was the norm.

More at times.

Humboldt current is as good once you start your Northing.

I picked it up at 50S and 750 nm off shore.

Southern Ocean lived up to expectations with wind strength (40+true) and wave hight (5-7mt).

What surprised me was the well ordered sea state and consistent wind conditions.

No afternoon thunder storms or squalls. No confused sloppy seas coming from 3 directions, no diurnal wind change and no flying fish on deck in the morning.

Didn't deploy a drogue or shorten sail beyond second reef and #3 genoa.

My thinking was it would be less comfortable going slow.

Have had a scarier time in 30 kts and waves half the size off the Frazer Coast.

Even if you double the passage time to 36 days its got to be better than slugging it out along the short route through the ITCZ.

I second those observations, really consistent wind and well ordered sea state at between 40 and 43 degrees south. Got up to 65 knots once consistently, and gusting over 70, halfway across and it was still sweet. The seas stayed orderly. I went around the Horn instead of north. Would not recommend a lagoon doing that though.
I went from bluff nz to puerto Williams and that took me 43 days, so 30 something for that boat sounds about right
HR42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 20:20   #33
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR42 View Post
I second those observations, really consistent wind and well ordered sea state at between 40 and 43 degrees south. Got up to 65 knots once consistently, and gusting over 70, halfway across and it was still sweet. The seas stayed orderly. I went around the Horn instead of north. Would not recommend a lagoon doing that though.
I went from bluff nz to puerto Williams and that took me 43 days, so 30 something for that boat sounds about right
Mate of mine did Chathams to Stanley in 30 days. 38 foot steel Trireme, slightly bigger sister of my boat.
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 02:32   #34

Well that’s good and fine for your friend. But I don’t care, I was giving my person experience and nothing more
Old 02-04-2020, 12:32   #35
Moo

Quote:
Well that’s good and fine for your friend. But I don’t care, I was giving my person experience and nothing more
If you don't care why respond then?

Not sure that it is good to advise a lagoon to take such a southern route so comparisons on that route are irrelevant to the OP.

So you had a slow trip or a slow boat?
Old 02-04-2020, 19:17   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
If you don't care why respond then?

Not sure that it is good to advise a lagoon to take such a southern route so comparisons on that route are irrelevant to the OP.

So you had a slow trip or a slow boat?

Well when I read your post and the claims you made for your friend, I thought bs. I congratulate him on his abilities to sail 6300 nms (rhum line)in 30 days aboard his 38 ft steel boat. He averaged 210 miles per day. Kudos.

Never advised him, only supported the other person who posted his observations and I found them to be the same as mine. I find supported observations like these to be invaluable.

In regards to the lagoon 62, I would say yes provided the boat was prepared and properly equipped to do such a journey. Refer books on storm management.

I’m not sure if you are trying to bait me or whether you are just misinformed.
Old 03-04-2020, 02:10   #37
Moo

Quote:
Well when I read your post and the claims you made for your friend, I thought bs. I congratulate him on his abilities to sail 6300 nms (rhum line)in 30 days aboard his 38 ft steel boat. He averaged 210 miles per day. Kudos.

Never advised him, only supported the other person who posted his observations and I found them to be the same as mine. I find supported observations like these to be invaluable.

In regards to the lagoon 62, I would say yes provided the boat was prepared and properly equipped to do such a journey. Refer books on storm management.

I’m not sure if you are trying to bait me or whether you are just misinformed.
Not at all misinformed. However you might be. I suggest you measure that route again Chathams.. drop down to 50 ish gradually over say 600' run along 50 to about 1000' from Chile and drop down to the horn, NE to Stanley... a hell of a lot less than your 6300'.. Rhumb line is in fact about 4250', but that would take you down to the circle.

I put that time up as a counter to your leisurely time to give some idea of the range of passage lengths to be expected.

I would not take a Lagoon down there ...

Misinformed well I might be, but I have 100,000' under my belt the bigger chunk of it in the the actual Southern ocean.

And that mate.. probably one of the best single-handed (non-racing) ocean sailors on the planet, but you have never heard of him and I am not about to let the cat out of the bag

Who was the other fella supporting you? The other fella who did Rhumb line it did 18 days.
Old 03-04-2020, 03:09   #38

I travelled between 40 and 45 degrees until a thousand miles from Chile and that was similar to what the other poster talked about and the observations that they made, so whilst sailing the latitudes that you say your friend sailed I can see it getting close to what you claim distance wise, it is still more than your 4250. It would still be a very good effort to do it in 30 days accounting for actual distance covered.

Your claims of many miles under your belt and the greatest sailor no one knows do not impress me my friend. I took up sailing 8 years ago and have learnt that there is a certain subspecies of sailor out there that talk very big in order to falsely inflate their sense of self worth. Or maybe you just like to brag. Leave people alone to contribute rather than looking for targets to amuse yourself with.
Old 03-04-2020, 03:18   #39

Moo

I'm that other fella

HR42 was supporting my observations rather than me supporting him.
He's a big boy and can fend for himself.

You seem to have made a few other errors attributing to me tasks I may or may not have done.

In your last post you claim I did a rhumb line yet in previous posts you say I did a circle.

Other errors of navigation you made on my voyage were that I sailed East of the Chathams and never reached the Southern Ocean.

It seems your relationship with facts is rather tenuous. It leaves me to suspect that your relationship with truth is challenged.
Old 03-04-2020, 03:49   #40
Moo

Quote:
Moo

I'm that other fella

HR42 was supporting my observations rather than me supporting him.
He's a big boy and can fend for himself.

You seem to have made a few other errors attributing to me tasks I may or may not have done.

In your last post you claim I did a rhumb line yet in previous posts you say I did a circle.

Other errors of navigation you made on my voyage were that I sailed East of the Chathams and never reached the Southern Ocean.

It seems your relationship with facts is rather tenuous. It leaves me to suspect that your relationship with truth is challenged.
I know you are the other fella.

I never said you sailed East of the Chathams.. In fact I never mentioned "your" course past the Chathams.

Rhumb line.. Great Circle.. Same thing. Rhumb line is a great circle broken into segments to cross each meridian at the same angle.. F all difference in terms of distance sailed.

You been on the sauce and struggling with comprehension ?
Old 03-04-2020, 03:59   #41
Moo

Quote:
I travelled between 40 and 45 degrees until a thousand miles from Chile and that was similar to what the other poster talked about and the observations that they made, so whilst sailing the latitudes that you say your friend sailed I can see it getting close to what you claim distance wise, it is still more than your 4250. It would still be a very good effort to do it in 30 days accounting for actual distance covered.

Your claims of many miles under your belt and the greatest sailor no one knows do not impress me my friend. I took up sailing 8 years ago and have learnt that there is a certain subspecies of sailor out there that talk very big in order to falsely inflate their sense of self worth. Or maybe you just like to brag. Leave people alone to contribute rather than looking for targets to amuse yourself with.
So you are a great sailor of 8 years.. hmmm have you learnt that those expensive seaboots are a waste of money yet?

Not claims I need to justify here but I can.. have a look around and you'll see enough evidence of it online. I wasn't trying to impress I have plenty of friends with many more miles than I do. Just pointing out that I have the experience to back up my observations .

I said the Rhumb line was 4250 (Or great circle if you like, sailed as Rhumb line in the shortest route sense).. I didn't say my mates voyage was 4250.

PS I know a Rhumb line and a great circle are different but if you are using the ocean planning charts they are the same thing. Shortest route to the RUM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rhumb.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	211899  
Old 03-04-2020, 06:24   #42

A consummate liar will weave a story to fit the facts.

When the story teller alters the facts to fit the story it is the realm of delusion and insanity.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:32   #43

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
...hmmm have you learnt that those expensive seaboots are a waste of money yet?
Here's a different opinion.

Decades ago, after eventually being able to afford some "expensive seaboots", in my case a Dubarry leather and gore-tex pair, I have to say that they were one of the best pieces of sailing kit that I have ever owned.

Being able to wear them anywhere from the tropics to the cold latitudes, meant they did thousands of miles offshore with me and ended up being very good value.

And the level of comfort that they provided was astonishing. I would buy another pair without a moment's hesitation.

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 13:04   #44
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
Here's a different opinion.

Decades ago, after eventually being able to afford some "expensive seaboots", in my case a Dubarry leather and gore-tex pair, I have to say that they were one of the best pieces of sailing kit that I have ever owned.

Being able to wear them anywhere from the tropics to the cold latitudes, meant they did thousands of miles offshore with me and ended up being very good value.

And the level of comfort that they provided was astonishing. I would buy another pair without a moment's hesitation.

I find they just don't last. Abattoir workers boots are cheap and work great.
Old 03-04-2020, 13:05   #45
Moo

Quote:
A consummate liar will weave a story to fit the facts.

When the story teller alters the facts to fit the story it is the realm of delusion and insanity.
Oh yea.. is that your excuse for you lack of comprehension and false accusations?

Tags
Panama, queensland, route