Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2009, 08:16   #1

Rules to Go by

I am in the process of learning all that I can about becoming a cruiser. Though I have been around boats all my life (boat painter/yard worker) in Newport bch, ca. I have never had to learn this aspect of boating. I read most everything I can get my hands on and spend many hours on the net trying to learn all that I can to make the most informed decisions possible. Because of service connected disabilities I find myself for the first time in my life with a steady income that does not cost me a 9 to 5. I have many questions but one comes to mind from a post I recently read... While cruising in the the home waters of the US, are there any rules to be followed when leaving or intering differant ports ? Does anyone know any links that would be helpful ? Thank-you
lostnavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2009, 04:50   #2

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
A U.S. boat can come and go from just about any U.S. port at will. No checking in and out.

If you leave the country, then you must clear Homeland Security (Customs/immigration) on reentry.

Wherever you're going make sure to have your boat documents or registration aboard. If leaving the country, have your passport and get a customs sticker.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2009, 05:48   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 57
When leaving the country, go by C&I anyway to get an exit document - most countries will require one in order for you to checkin.
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2009, 16:52   #4

Rules for leaving / entering US ports?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspot Baby View Post
A U.S. boat can come and go from just about any U.S. port at will. No checking in and out...

Wherever you're going make sure to have your boat documents or registration aboard. If leaving the country, have your passport and get a customs sticker.

George
One kind of visa you will need in the US is the plastic one that pays mooring fees; perhaps you have that figured out already? If you ask your questions before leaving where you are, telling the marina or port officials where you are going: you'll pick up a wealth of knowledge in no time. If you were painting boats you already know to ask permission to moor; not just tie up and march to the nearest bar or theatre.

Keeping copies of service records onboard should do no harm most countries you could be visiting. May even help getting reciprocal medical care abroad when you are lucky. We are relatively friendly in Canada, for example. Are you really limiting your sailing to the US?

Now how about a cruising plan? The US Coast Guard or somebody should be interested in that, in case they find you near somebody who needs towing into port and want to ask if you can assist.
George Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2009, 22:07   #5

rules to go by

Thanks all, I still have a long way to go before I make sailing plans, like how to sail a boat the size I am shopping for, 30 to 36 I think would be a good liveaboard for one person. I keep my eye on e-bay and boat trader.com. amongst others. If I should find something soon, Florida I'm hoping for, I could motor to a marina until I can take the necessary sailing courses. Don Casey's "Sailboat Maintenance" has been very enlightening. As many years I spent working on boats, (primarily cosmetics) his knowledge helped me to realize how much I need to learn. I thank everyone for their input, can't wait to find the right boat, right marina and start out on this new adventure.
lostnavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 09:15   #6

Timing

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostnavigator View Post
Thanks all, I still have a long way to go before I make sailing plans, like how to sail a boat the size I am shopping for, 30 to 36 I think would be a good liveaboard for one person..... can't wait to find the right boat, right marina and start out on this new adventure.
You may like to watch the prices coming down for a while; then buy while the dollar still has some value ;~)
George Wade is offline   Reply With Quote