Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2022, 00:11   #1

Boat: Vancouver 27'
Russian ships going dark to avoid sanctions

Well, keeping navigation safe, clearly is not a priority. I have attached an article from todays AP online edition.

There has been a surge in Russian vessels turning off their AIS.

'"We're seeing a synchronized effort across Russian shipping and trading to systemically hide where their cargoes are going," Ami Daniel, Windward CEO, told VOA.'

Well worth a short read.

https://www.voanews.com/a/russian-ca...-/6505792.html
sepharad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2022, 12:31   #2

Boat: CS27, C&C25 half a lifetime ago
Re: Russian ships going dark to avoid sanctions

Turning off the AIS does not constitute a hazard to navigation, unless you don't know anything about geometry or keep watch.
5BTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2022, 13:26   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Well, the article is a little misleading, because running dark really means running unlit. It is an exaggeration to use it to describe turning off one's AIS.

If you've ever encountered a merchant ship running dark at night--really dark, no lights visible--well, I'm here to tell you it's scary. The one that I encountered around 3:00 a.m., after I'd avoided it, went about a mile on, then horns sounded across the water. I called on the VHF to see if they required assistance, but no one answered, so we continued on. Maybe it was a fire drill?

if those ships really are running dark, dark, then crossing shipping lanes one will want to be extra attentive. They'll still show up as strong radar targets.

Ann
Old 29-03-2022, 14:27   #4

Had my share of the dark ones, and my share of stupid ones.

Late seventies, Indian Ocean near Socotra.
We were going to Rotterdam, they to the Persian Gulf.
That is me in the pic, Chief Officer took the photo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	close call.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	255207   Click image for larger version

Name:	close call1.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	255208  

Old 30-03-2022, 01:08   #5

Boat: Vancouver 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5BTM View Post
Turning off the AIS does not constitute a hazard to navigation, unless you don't know anything about geometry or keep watch.

I was thinking about 5BTMs comment and to be honest, don't quite know what to think.

If a hazard to navigation is "an obstruction, usually sunken, that presents sufficient danger to navigation so as to require expeditious, affirmative action such as marking, removal, or redefinition of a designated waterway to provide for navigational safety."

Then you are correct. What do you call an oil tanker who shuts off its AIS transponder in a seaway, merely a menace? Foolish? Or is it completely legal?

"AIS should always be in operation when ships are underway or at anchor. If the master believes that the continual operation of AIS might compromise the safety or security of the ship or where security incidents are imminent, AIS may be switched off. Unless it would further compromise the safety or security, if the ship is operating in a mandatory ship reporting system, the master should report this action and the reason for doing so to the competent authority."

Can they say: "we are in a security situation and we told our government we are shutting off" ?

Even on my little boat I would like to have Radar and AIS, since everything helps, but I agree that want is not the same as need.
sepharad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2022, 02:15   #6

Please keep in mind that 'Voice of America' is what it says - principally a propaganda outlet and about as reliable as 'Russia Today'. But do keep your eyes open, particularly at sea.
MoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2022, 03:23   #7

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

See thread entitled “Is Radar Obsolete?”
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2022, 04:15   #8

Boat: Catalina 375

When I was sailing in Gulf of St Lawrence, virtually all of the fishing vessels had their AIS turned off. On a couple of occasions I noticed the Coast Guard did not have their AIS on. Were they in stealth mode? Who knows. AIS is not there to replace sensible navigation; it is one of many tools.
Ardbeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2022, 04:32   #9

Rule 2
Responsibility
(a)
Nothing in these Rules shall exonerate any vessel, or the owner, master or crew thereof, from the consequences of any neglect to comply with these Rules or of the neglect of any precaution which may be required by the ordinary practice of seamen, or by the special circumstances of the case.
(b)
In construing and complying with these Rules due regard shall be had to all dangers of navigation and collision and to any special circumstances, including the limitations of the vessels involved, which may make a departure from these Rules necessary to avoid immediate danger.
Old 30-03-2022, 04:53   #10

really?
And war is legal?
Spoofing is legal?
magic pipes to discharge dirty ballast?
sailing single handed?
rules are guidelines for the honest people. taxes are for the honest people. laws are for the honest people. Blasphemy is for the politicians justifying for the honest people.

educate yourself to survive, treat others as you would like to be treated, and be realistic. we are simply animals with a thumb.
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2022, 05:08   #11

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 41
Send a message via Skype™ to Kijit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyS View Post
Please keep in mind that 'Voice of America' is what it says - principally a propaganda outlet and about as reliable as 'Russia Today'. But do keep your eyes open, particularly at sea.

That really is not accurate. VOA's charter requires it by law to provide news that is independent and objective. It does not report to any other USG agency. I worked for the parent agency for VOA for 18 years and personally have been in meetings where other government agencies wanted something in particular broadcast and VOA said "no". The journalists at VOA are very protective of their independence because that is how they maintain credibility overseas.
Kijit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2022, 05:41   #12

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kijit View Post
That really is not accurate. VOA's charter requires it by law to provide news that is independent and objective. It does not report to any other USG agency. I worked for the parent agency for VOA for 18 years and personally have been in meetings where other government agencies wanted something in particular broadcast and VOA said "no". The journalists at VOA are very protective of their independence because that is how they maintain credibility overseas.
+1 The Russian stations are only worried about the Russian audience. That is why they are telling everyone in Russia that Nazis have taken charge of Ukraine, and Putin has shut down all independent press in Russia. "Whataboutism" doesn't work with regard to VOA vs Russian "press".
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2022, 06:09   #13
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

running without AIS is not illegal. in fact .. I do it myself.
Old 30-03-2022, 06:42   #14

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

I have friends, they range from charter captains, deck mates, and sometimes trophy tournament participants. Some for extra money, some full time. They all say that they turn their AIS on and off depending on how close they are to “secret” locations that they have had luck with.
I have taken there word for it, no fact checking necessary, this past fall crewing an outside passage around Hatteras on watch at 3 am under heavy cloud cover, after fiddling with the Radar and Raymarine I realized the signatures I saw slowly crossing my heading was in fact a fleet of about 5 boats working a “sweet spot”, The situational stress was enough to keep me very diligent. As I fast approached the 2 nm mark I got on the VHF, after I had made several course adjustments I announced my vessel and our intentions, my communication was on Point and concise (i have over 20 yrs of tactical communication experience)I received no reply but they parted like the Red Sea. The low lights of there vessels converged back on the location they had been working in our wake.
That night after my shift ended I put a note in my personal log of the “sweet spot” then texted it to all those guys I was talking about and posted on”fishing fanatics forums”, no just kidding lol. I wrote “MAKE AIS A PRIORITY UPGRADE” in my off shore folder for my vessel, I mostly sail the Long Island sound and AIS is not used as most vessels are rudimentary line of sight navigating.

While AIS is not mandatory now, I can see it become common place and redundancy across all off shore Comms systems.

Gone are the days of the “Wild West” free rolling sail anywhere do anything sailing. In my 20s I was inspired by Tristen Jones books of painting the sails the same light blue color of the sky to hide from local hostels around the world my kids would cringe at those books not knowing the context of circumstances to which the man lived. I long for an era were regulations are in place for safety, not power, not to generate revenue.

Cheers
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2022, 08:30   #15

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
running without AIS is not illegal. in fact .. I do it myself.
C'mon, you are like me, a small sailboat doing 5-7 knots on a good day....we are definitely not "running". More akin to a slow jog/quick walk/fast crawl... albeit a good deal of tonnage in motion...Always run with my AIS on altho most boats I encounter on Long Island Sound either w/o AIS or its off...Ferries and tankers are on tho...and wow...they are running! Will keep my eye peeled for Russian tankers...altho ban on Russian imports here in USA should keep their presence to a minimum
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Russia