Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2017, 14:37   #1

RYA Day Skipper Theory

Hi
Trying to learn navigation!
Just wondering if anyone has done this course on line ? or is it better to do it "live" in a classroom ?
carraigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 14:52   #2

Re: RYA Day Skipper Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by carraigdog View Post
Hi
Just wondering if anyone has done this course on line ? or is it better to do it "live" in a classroom ?
It's fine on-line. Also, you can read much more in the pocket handbook from Reeds, or another decent book has all info you'll ever need as day skipper.

Bear in mind, formal participation on a theory course for DS practical is only a recommendation, not a hard prerequisite. This might also depend on the training center, ask yours before signing up for the practical week if they are fine with the "knowledge" or they need a piece of paper.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:04   #3

Thanks GT, I hadnt heard of the Reeds book before, much appreciated
Old 01-11-2017, 14:43   #4

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

I used navathome for the theory in both dayskipper and yacht master coastal .
They provide charts ,almanacs , dividers and Portsmouth plotter and Rya books as part of the package . I spent about 50 hours doing it. They provide online help when needed and the quality of the digital graphics was good . For me the dayskipper was good but the coastal was a bit complicated for on line use .
The bonus was that I got nav equipment in the bargain and I still refer back to the hand book from time to time
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 05:19   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

See also, this advanced online course on marine navigation
Advanced navigation courses - sailing schools Greece and the Greek islands

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 08:49   #6

Quote:
Hi
Don't know about anyone else, but I always do better in a classroom setting.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:56   #7

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

I did the Day Skipper theory online (with much of the actual chart plotting work done on the conference table of the oil rig I was working on at the time - don't ask but needless to say we weren't doing much for 3 weeks!!).

Simplest way to do it if you don't have time to take off and do a classroom version and you can take as long as you need, within reason, to complete all the stages.

Got a sneaky suspicion that in order to get the full certificate you do need to have both the theory and practical parts but as others have mentioned it is worth checking.

Definitely worth doing the course (both parts) as I gained a lot of confidence handling a vessel and understanding the "rules". Plus the RYA Day Skipper gives you the ICC qualification as well which is needed for many parts of the world.
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:56   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473

My understanding is that the RYA Day Skipper (Theory) is not required for an ICC as you only need the RYA Day Skipper (Practical).
LACHLANC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:07   #9

I would advise doing it online.

I did it in a classroom, where the course progressed at the pace of the slowest learners, which was slow enough to make a long-keeled motorsailer look fast.
Kristoff21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:10   #10

Hi
The theory ( shorebased) course is not a requirement to pass the Day skipper.
The practical is generally a five day course where your ability, understanding and knowledge is accessed by the instructor using the syllabus ( https://www.endeavour-sailing.co.uk/...al-course.html)

I have found that some schools require a shorebased completion cert. before attending a practical course, but this is not a RYA requirement

Some find the online less pressured while others learn better in the class room, I find most who have not done a course really struggle catching up in the practical.
The theory must be applied in the practical course and if not up to scratch you will be asked back for reassessment

The Reeds book is a great revision reference

Hope that helps
P
Hoofsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:20   #11

I did all my learning at home. Most on-line courses allow some interaction with the tutor. Got to Yachtmaster offshore and Ocean.
Nadezhda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 11:02   #12

Thanks for all the replies guys, I think I would prefer a classroom setting but unfortunately its a 38 mile round trip to the nearest place I can do this, so I will probably have a go with the Navathome. Ive read their sylabus, I just hope I have the patience to see it through.
Thanks again
Old 02-11-2017, 16:48   #13

Thumbs up Re: RYA Day Skipper Theory

Hello,I used Splasseaschool.com for online training. I thought it was excellent.

Good luck. If you take this course, pay attention to ship’s lighting. It was important on the test.
Handsoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 17:08   #14

Quote:
Hi
I have taught boating, navigation courses for 30 years and I have to agree that I had many students that were neebies and took their time. And those that walked two steps faster than a turtle, I would coach them at a faster pace to complete the course(s) at their own speed. For the practical, I would group the students as per their experience and knowledge. All depends on the student and the teacher, instructor.
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 17:11   #15

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

When I took my day skipper I felt much better having done and passed the theory. There were tasks set by my instructor/evaluator that need the knowledge. Coastal skipper builds on day skipper
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
skipper