Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2015, 04:57   #1

Boat: Dufour 40 E, 12 m
Sail from Canaries to Med in May

Hi sailing friends,
I sailed this summer to the Canaries via Madeire. A wonderfull trip. Now i will sail next may to the med via Morocco with our 2. Who has experience with the wind conditions along the Morocco coast in May. i don't like go up wind too much.
In summer it is a steady NW to NE and is not perfect. Or should I go in April?

Also there I cannot find a good pilot for the area. Any ideas

Thanks for any information.
Sea Angel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 05:55   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Sail from Canaries to Med in May

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Roorda View Post
Hi sailing friends,
I sailed this summer to the Canaries via Madeire. A wonderfull trip. Now i will sail next may to the med via Morocco with our 2. Who has experience with the wind conditions along the Morocco coast in May. i don't like go up wind too much.
In summer it is a steady NW to NE and is not perfect. Or should I go in April?

Also there I cannot find a good pilot for the area. Any ideas

Thanks for any information.
There are no hard rules in wx routing and every year is different. BUT if you accept a quick and dirty generalization then many decide to do the jump in April or May and most go to Madeira and then onwards to the Straits.

The coast will have more variable winds - mostly light breeze type with calm periods in between. If a strong system exists over the continent then a long spell of puffy ENE winds will rule. If a strong system approaches from the West, a dangerous SW/W/NW gale will last for about 36 to 48 hours.

Later in the season winds become more from N and get more stable (still with a typical day/night variation inshore).

Check Imray and RCC for pilots. If nothing useful found, use FRENCH sources. It is a francophone territory.

If you coast, make sure your engine is sound and strong. You can't sail when no wind and you can't linger if a gale is approaching.

Cheers,
b.
Las Palmas, Canary Islands
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aries, Canaries, sail