Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2022, 07:46   #31

Boat: '14 Greenline 33 Hybrid m/v
Re: Sailing North on the East Coast of USA in July/August

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Best advice on this thread, Skipper Bobs ICW guide. There are tons of anchorages on the E coast ICW and Skipper Bobs discusses them all.
Also some good areas to sail. Ft Pierce to north of Daytona on the Indian River, mostly sailable. Even the Georgia stretch with a strong S wind would be good area to sail if you are patient and aware.
It’s all what you make of it.

With about a thousand and one crooks, jibs and jabs, and shoals, and passing vessels, don't think so! Way too much to be attentive to with a keelboat IMO, not to mention the safety aspect for you and your crew...especially if going with the 3-4kn flood tide current.
PineyWoodsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 08:40   #32

Boat: Gypsy 28 extended to 37

In your computer browser, type in "weather history" and the place.
Lightwave99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 08:42   #33
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyWoodsPete View Post
With about a thousand and one crooks, jibs and jabs, and shoals, and passing vessels, don't think so! Way too much to be attentive to with a keelboat IMO, not to mention the safety aspect for you and your crew...especially if going with the 3-4kn flood tide current.

The op’s boat is a 35’ catamaran with less than 3’ draft, not a keelboat.
We had a great day sail heading south down the Georgia ICW in a cold front, under jib only so lots of jibing but a satisfying sail. We had no problems with it, very doable, but also understand it’s not a comfortable situation for all.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 08:49   #34

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

Done the trip in summer. Nice. Outside is a string of overnights and very pleasant. Maybe stops at Fernandina Beach, Charleston and Beaufort. Each under 300 nm or 60 hrs/2.5 days each leg.

Go in at Beaufort and stay in to Norfolk. I know the Gemini (and like them) but don't think outside is worth the time saved. Plus that leg is a really pretty one.
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 09:19   #35

Boat: Hunter 33.5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Reference:

https://captainjohn.org/GL-Route2.html

Per that loop map the travels days from Ft. Pierce to Cape Hatteras appears to be 22 days.

Your 47 feet air draft should not be limiting to the raised bridges.

Your 56 gallon fuel tank will require refilling every day.

Lots of motoring, very seldom will you be sailing as the ICW is a ditch.
we just finished our New Smyrna to Oriental trip two days ago...

we ran aground 5 times. we draft about 5'. most were operator error. one required TowBoat. Unless you are CERTAIN you won't run aground, I wouldn't recommend sailing.

our 44' keelboat sucked <2 gal/hr at just under hull speed (8 knots) which works out to about 4 mpg. A 56 gal tank (like ours) should last DAYS.

and btw, the raised Wilmington River bridge near Savannah was closed for construction/repairs, so we HAD to backtrack and run outside from Wassah to Port Royale. Would have been nice to know of that prior to (how about a "road closed" sign at the detour juncture???).
i-Zapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 09:48   #36
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-Zapp View Post
we just finished our New Smyrna to Oriental trip two days ago...

we ran aground 5 times. we draft about 5'. most were operator error. one required TowBoat. Unless you are CERTAIN you won't run aground, I wouldn't recommend sailing.

our 44' keelboat sucked &lt;2 gal/hr at just under hull speed (8 knots) which works out to about 4 mpg. A 56 gal tank (like ours) should last DAYS.

and btw, the raised Wilmington River bridge near Savannah was closed for construction/repairs, so we HAD to backtrack and run outside from Wassah to Port Royale. Would have been nice to know of that prior to (how about a "road closed" sign at the detour juncture???).

I don’t understand, being under power doesn’t make the water any deeper than being under sail?
Old 04-04-2022, 09:52   #37

Boat: Hunter 33.5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I don’t understand, being under power doesn’t make the water any deeper than being under sail?
i wouldn't want to run aground under sail. that would/could make for a tense situation. on one hand, the heel the wind would provide might free you (great!) or push you deeper into the shoal. much harder to hit the "brakes" while under sail than motoring.
i-Zapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 09:53   #38

Boat: Mariner 38 Pilot House

Did this timing and trip last summer.

1. Go outside and plan on overnights

2. Skip Norfolk/Chesapeake and go directly to Cape May.

3. Number 2 assumes you went outside around the cape otherwise you’re stopping in Norfolk.

4. It’s quicker to wait for weather windows and travel outside than it is to use the ditch for the sake of moving.

5. There are daily afternoon thunderstorms on the coast in the summer that can get quite nasty and 10 miles offshore there’s basically none of these afternoon storms.

6. You’ll need a blanket at night in the cockpit or warm clothes.

The stress level for myself is greatly reduced traveling offshore vs being tied to the wheel for ten hours. Definitely skip Georgia and consider having someone join you. I did this last one solo and although I was just fine there is a limit to how many days I can get through with 15 minute naps. Another set of eyes and four hour naps make longer passages really easy.
mcon12000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 09:58   #39
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-Zapp View Post
i wouldn't want to run aground under sail. that would/could make for a tense situation. on one hand, the heel the wind would provide might free you (great!) or push you deeper into the shoal. much harder to hit the "brakes" while under sail than motoring.

Absolutely, and hadn’t thought of the negatives of a monohulls shallower draft under sail.
We’ve made the trip between the Keys and NC 12 times and only once grounded hard due to my being an idiot and going on the wrong side of the marker before my first cup of coffee! I believe we’ve only skimmed the bottom two other times.
As I stated earlier, it’s what one feels comfortable with.
Old 05-04-2022, 05:38   #40

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

1) I detest the ICW and avoid it unless impossible to get somewhere (like Vero Beach from Fort Pierce, e.g.)

2) Get a subscription to Chris Parker (www.mwxc.com). Email, vhf, internet (open forum during his broadcasts), early forecasts for the specific day, daily forecasts for 4-5 days from the mid-day delivery, both by email, Satphone or SSB comms if you're out of internet range, etc., etc. Wouldn't be without it.

3) Use his forecast for an appropriate window and do it all in the Gulf Stream, adding half your speed for lift.

Whassup with Hatteras? Going into Cape Lookout? Up the Chessie? I'd either come in at Beaufort (as described by others) or stay in the GS until time to turn into the Chesapeake, if that's what Hat is about in your original post.

We tucked into Beaufort due to the oncoming Isaias instead of continuing to Portland NonStop, and have done that jump in a single trip (in that case from Fernandina) before, and would be my distinct preference, unless you just wanted to dawdle your way up the ICW from Beaufort (nice trip if your intent is sightseeing, and the 32oz Prime Rib at Coinjock)...

Wish I were going...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 06:55   #41

Boat: 40' Jeanneau

Oh for goodness' sake... The ICW is a beautiful trip- especially through Georgia and South Carolina. You could make the whole run offshore up the Gulf Stream in about 3 days (as long as you carefully watch out for tropical weather every day and have a plan to seek shelter if needed.)

I guess three weeks is probably a nice, leisurely time frame for running the entire route on the ICW. Seven to eight hours a day of running is enough! Six is better.

It can be hot as the blue blazes up that whole stretch of coast in the summer. If you don't have air conditioning, consider buying a cheap window unit you can fit in a hatch with an extension cord. You'll be glad to have it in marinas.

Find anchorages close to a sea breeze, and nights should be comfortable.

I've made this trip eight or ten times in boats that draw more water than yours. Running aground can happen. Towing insurance makes it less stressful. Enjoy the trip. Don't stress about it.
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 07:47   #42

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I like that chart.....it is about as accurate chart I've seen of the Georgia ICW!!!

Not to forget..tides in Georgia can run 8'....there will be an adverse current running against you at least 50% of the time.

I have run the ICW from Florida to Norfolk. It was a royal pain in the rear end and took a month of non-stop motoring, several groundings and other mishaps, so much so, I promised myself, I'd rather stick needles in my eyes, than ever try to attempt that again.
===================
x2
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 09:24   #43

The ICW is a whole lot better than bad weather offshore. I’ve done the ICW in a 55’ 5’ draft ketch six times. Not once have I run aground. Use Bob423’s tracks and it’s easy. You won’t sail much but it’s easy to pick up gas. Plan on 50 miles a day with waiting on bridge openings.

Let the weather decide your day. If the offshore forecast doesn’t look fun, do an ICW day and make 50 miles. Going offshore neans at least one night at sea. In many places it takes hours to get out to deep water before you can turn north and hours to get back into an anchorage. But leaving first thing, going all night, then anchoring in the next afternoon covers a lot of miles while not requiring a formal watch schedule.

Definitely do the ICW instead of going outside Hatteras. It was first called “Cape of Storms” for a reason.

Finally, ask your insurance company how much extra it would cost if you just got to Brunswick GA. Many insurance companies now charge the same price for there as Virginia. They just want you out of Florida.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 11:17   #44

Gulfstream current is 2+ hr north and prevailing winds are E-SE. Glassy calm nights to 10-12 days. Nothing is set in stone but the stream can run double that in strong southerly winds. Heavy north winds can reverse the surface current in the stream too but isn't likely that time of yr.

The fastest route is turn left just outside Ft Pierce inlet and ride the stream all the way up. The stream will give you at least 50mi a day extra (I got 75+ mi a day push from Canaveral to Hatteras in June).

You can sail most of the way inside the ICW from Ft Pierce to Canaveral before going outside but it's about 20 mi back out to pick up favorable stream currents.

It's a ditch with bridges from just north (Mosquito Lagoon) of Titusville to Daytona and Jax. There are a few short stretches where you can sail but it will be in channels at best. Current strength/direction inside totally depends on your timing with the closest inlet tides.

Tropical storms and hurricanes fringes are usually forecast at least one week away so leaving with nothing serious on the horizon will likely give a clear weather window.

Someone mentioned AIS...don't depend on the high speed fishing boats to be using it or be watching. I had a 50' sportfish almost run over me at cruising speed in the middle of the day 30 mi off Canaveral.
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 07:43   #45

I’ve soloed that trip more than a few times on my HR40 with a 6.5 draft. Offshore versus inshore is a factor of weather, timing and if I had crew. I was in Tropical Storm Andrea driven weather in June 2013 crossing from The Bahamas to NC and had to get into the St John River. Avoid that experience! Mike's Weather has lots of good links. Your trip can be a combination of on and offshore motor sails and using the Stream and tides can be an amazing speed and fuel saver. You have no draft issues. Inshore, bridge and tide timing is your friend or enemy. I use free links on line like Waterway Guide, Tide Tables, Dockwa and Mikes Weather. You have cell coverage most of the way. It’s a day by day plan starting a week before you leave. Last thought, try to avoid The Ditch on weekends, drunken crowds of amateur boaters in the summer can be the biggest danger a well planned trip will face.
Defarm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast, sail, sailing