Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2024, 18:13   #16

Boat: Beneteau 38 Oceanis
Re: Sailing the East River, NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beppe123 View Post
I asked for access, received and tried at least 4 times: it gives me an error every time. Sorry.

I don't know what's wrong. Can you tell me the error? Also, if you like send me a private message with the email you used. I can't check my inbox or the system without it.
JJ in New Jerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2024, 20:18   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcapo View Post
Same here. I assumed I would receive an email response but nothing.

Did you check your spam or trash folders? Perhaps it got flagged and swept up.

II think I see your email in the user table. If not, send me a private message with the email you submitted and I manually send an invite.

JJ
Old 30-05-2024, 05:03   #18

Boat: Catalina 42

Quote:

Check your junk mail folder, that is where mine went.
Reeve21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2024, 05:13   #19

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ in New Jerse View Post
Did you check your spam or trash folders? Perhaps it got flagged and swept up.

II think I see your email in the user table. If not, send me a private message with the email you submitted and I manually send an invite.

JJ
Email received this morning, thanks.

I see that authentication is in the link to the web site included in the email.That link has to be bookmarked or the email saved for access. I guess that's the "new way" for authentication.

Check your logs. Selected today's date. Selected East River, NY. Clicked Submit. A few seconds later I get a red Error bubble at the bottom of the screen. Using Firefox with all tracking and ad blocking disabled.
Old 30-05-2024, 09:22   #20

Quote:

The email is generated by the Glide platform directly so I don't have control over it. My guess is that it was sent but got redirected to a spam or trash folder.

Let me know if you find it!

JJ
Old 30-05-2024, 09:33   #21

First, thanks for all the really positive and useful feedback. Please keep it coming. I've already added Woods Hole and I'll have Fisher's Island Sound added by the end of the day. I need to think a little bit about the best way to process data for The Race and Plum Gut, but both are on my list.

Second, I've gotten a couple of email saying that after people requested access, they didn't receive an email response. I suspect that the email is getting caught up in an email filter and sent to spam or deleted. If you're having this problem and that fixes it, please post here.

Third, while I conceived this app as being primarily used on a phone, because it's a web app (browser based) using GlideApps, it will work in a browser on a desktop. The graphics aren't scaling correctly, but it still works.

Relatedly, I've gotten an email about problems running in Edge on Windows. I can't reproduce it, so if your having problems, send me the error messages an screen shots. Also, is anyone using this on an Android phone? Any difficulties? I don't have an Android, so I can't test it on one. I'm curious how it looks on an Android phone.

I am really enjoying crowd sourcing the development of this app. You are all a great community!

All help appreciated,

JJ
Old 03-06-2024, 18:06   #22

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Thanks so much for this!

It couldn’t have come at a better time; I’m sailing from the Baltimore area up to Atlantic Highlands the last few days of this month, picking up my wife and 5 of our grown “kids” and then heading up the East River, hopefully over to MV.
I’ll be excited to try your app. I’ll put it on my iPhone but also on my iPad to see if it works.
I’ve not gotten a response to my request from this past hour yet but it may take some time.
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 19:03   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
Thanks so much for this!

It couldn’t have come at a better time; I’m sailing from the Baltimore area up to Atlantic Highlands the last few days of this month, picking up my wife and 5 of our grown “kids” and then heading up the East River, hopefully over to MV.
I’ll be excited to try your app. I’ll put it on my iPhone but also on my iPad to see if it works.
I’ve not gotten a response to my request from this past hour yet but it may take some time.
You should be all set now. Just processed todays requests.
Old 04-06-2024, 03:13   #24

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
You should be all set now. Just processed todays requests.
Got it, thanks. Haven’t played with it yet, but it came up on my iPad as well, so I’ll try to work with it later.
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 08:08   #25

Boat: Beneteau 393

Thank you JJ. I launch this month in Scituate and will be traveling thru CCC. I have always used Eldridge as all my other sources only go out a week. I will play with yours this season
Bob S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 11:26   #26

All, since I posted my original request for help we've got about 100 users in our community. I didn't expect it to grow this fast. Thank you all. Keep the feedback coming.

Also, since the first post, I added Woods Hole to the list of locations (my to do: Fisher's Island Sound, Nantucket Sound, the Race, Plum Gut, Point Pleasant Canal, Barnegat Inlet - did I miss any requests?)

Lastly, just so you know I eat my own sausage, I brought my own boat down the East River this past Tuesday. I used the app to time the transit and I checked my results. I was doing about six kts, so the predicted ideal time to hit the Throgs Neck Bridge would have been about 11:00. I was there at 11:20. Transit took 1:50 minutes. Predicted deal transit time would have been around 1:40. I think that's pretty damn good.
Old 06-06-2024, 11:27   #27

Should I put the same app stuff on the SailNet community page?
Old 06-06-2024, 11:46   #28

Boat: Sabre 34

Quote:
All, since I posted my original request for help we've got about 100 users in our community. I didn't expect it to grow this fast. Thank you all. Keep the feedback coming.

Also, since the first post, I added Woods Hole to the list of locations (my to do: Fisher's Island Sound, Nantucket Sound, the Race, Plum Gut, Point Pleasant Canal, Barnegat Inlet - did I miss any requests?)

Lastly, just so you know I eat my own sausage, I brought my own boat down the East River this past Tuesday. I used the app to time the transit and I checked my results. I was doing about six kts, so the predicted ideal time to hit the Throgs Neck Bridge would have been about 11:00. I was there at 11:20. Transit took 1:50 minutes. Predicted deal transit time would have been around 1:40. I think that's pretty damn good.
Hi JJ,

For east river, are the start and best times foe us to reach Throgs Neck bridge or past Brothers islands near Hell gate?
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 18:08   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotical View Post
Hi JJ,

For east river, are the start and best times foe us to reach Throgs Neck bridge or past Brothers islands near Hell gate?
The app shows time windows for the entirety of the trip - battery to throgs neck or visea versa.

“Start” in the chart refers to the beginning time of the fair current window of opportunity. “End” is the ending time of the fair current opportunity. They’re not the start or end times of the journey, they’re the edges of the time windows. The white arrow on the arc points to the time at which the fastest trip occurs, and the numbers next to the arrow are an estimate of the elapsed time of the transit from one end to the other.

To answer your question more succinctly, the data always refers to the total transits from end-to-end.

Does that help clarify?
Old 11-06-2024, 05:53   #30

I’m from NJ, but live in the USVI.

The navisink river runs from Sea Bright to Red Bank and can get up to 5-6 mph in either direction frequently. I would think some sailors with smaller auxiliary motors would appreciate your help.

Pt. Pleasant Canal boaters would certainly benefit, if there is not an easy to use tool already in place.

Just two possibilities for you.
kindrunnermike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nyc, sail, sailing