Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2016, 15:43   #1

SailTimer Wind Instrument

Would someone please explain in simple non-technical terms the SailTimer Wind Instrument and related app? Also, any reviews from anyone who has used it would be helpful. Thanks.
CrewDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 08:46   #2

Re: SailTimer Wind Instrument

Thought I would give this a bump. I'm also interested in the Sailtimer. Is there anyone out there that has real world experience with this company/product and would care to share? I'm looking for something to install on a rotating wing mast. If it works as advertised, it would be just what I'm looking for.
mattyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 09:45   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

Their ad looks misleading from the start. I cannot see any instrument there. It is just a sensor.

A heavy one. Not for a racing boat nor for serious downwind work in light airs.

Being that heavy it will suffer more from boat movement in the seaway.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 09:52   #4

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyc View Post
Thought I would give this a bump. I'm also interested in the Sailtimer. Is there anyone out there that has real world experience with this company/product and would care to share? I'm looking for something to install on a rotating wing mast. If it works as advertised, it would be just what I'm looking for.

I have the 3rd generation model. I have not mounted it on the mast of my Tartan30 as of yet. I kept it on the stern railing and had not issues with Bluetooth connection. I used the sailtimer app and if seems to work quite well. I have not interfaced the unit with other software but I understand the information it provides can be parsed and distributed across the boats network or through a wireless repeater. A wireless mini-server is now available that can interface with NMEA 0183 and wireless re-broadcast of incoming NMEA 0183 sentences from other compatible instruments.
It seems like it would be the perfect solution for a rotating mast as it has internal GPS which from my experience works quite well.
I have had a great response from the developer. I hope this system really takes off!
tmcdonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 14:30   #5

Anybody else have experience with these? Just watched a YouTube video and one of the comments mention poor battery life, which I suppose might be due to an inability of the solar component to keep up with the electrical demand. Comments on this or any other part of the Sailtimer wireless wind instrument would be appreciated. For some reason, there seems to be very little real world info on this product on the Internet. Anybody have any non commercial links?
Old 25-01-2017, 14:34   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyc View Post
Anybody else have experience with these? Just watched a YouTube video and one of the comments mention poor battery life, which I suppose might be due to an inability of the solar component to keep up with the electrical demand. Comments on this or any other part of the Sailtimer wireless wind instrument would be appreciated. For some reason, there seems to be very little real world info on this product on the Internet. Anybody have any non commercial links?

Battery life was not so much an issue this summer. But I have to admit I did not put the unit through it paces (Weekend use mainly). If you can wait till may when I mount the unit on my mast, I'll try to provide an in depth review sometime after that point.
Old 26-01-2017, 06:40   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Their ad looks misleading from the start. I cannot see any instrument there. It is just a sensor.

A heavy one. Not for a racing boat nor for serious downwind work in light airs.

Being that heavy it will suffer more from boat movement in the seaway.

b.
I have not found this to be the case. The instrument is very responsive to wind inputs. It may seem like just a sensor, but the accompaning software is where the value lies.
To answer the original posters question, The unit is a self enclosed system that measures windspeed, wind direction as well as the direction the boat is moving requiring no wires. It functions wirelessly using bluetooth and interfaces with Mac phones,Ipads and Android devices. With the newly released mini-server, bluetooth transmitted data can be rebroadcast through wifi or NMEA 0183 networks. The accompanying software coupled with GPS containing phones provides optimal tacking solutions to a given waypoint. This functionality has only been supported with expensive hardware till now. Hope this helps.
Old 03-06-2017, 22:19   #8

was also impressed by the sailtimer windvane spec, bought one and whenever I contacted the manufactorer for support the same answer: buy the new model it is much better. Will never consider buying Sailtimer products again!
skipperearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:39   #9

Regarding Sailtimer's Mini Server: I am in the process of attaching the Mini Server to my Garmin 8212 backbone. Anyone done this??? Sailtimer says just attach wiring to the 4 terminals on the Mini Server and run them into the backbone. I'm going to use the 4 wires in a NMEA 2000 Drop Cable for the attachment. I guess it is just experimental which wire goes to which lead.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
Formosa46AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 01:53   #10

tmcdonagh > Are you speaking from your own actual experience? What version of the SailTimer do you have? I'm very interested in the concept but have had very little luck finding positive reviews. Would you care to share your own experience witt the SailTimer?

Formosa
Old 11-07-2017, 01:57   #11

Formosa46AK > I would also appreciate to hear what you have say about the SailTimer. Does it work as advertised?
Old 11-07-2017, 03:50   #12

I have rev1 & rev2. I do not have either installed on the boat as of yet on the mast. I had Rev2 on the stern pulpit. The unit tracked with my mast mounted wind instrument well. The windtimer software appeared to work well.
Old 25-02-2018, 19:13   #13

Boat: Farrier F9rx

I will warn you guys of one thing.... Sailtimer offers a ... peace of mind no questions asked 14 day refund policy. I paid for mine in November 2018, received it in February 2018, requested refund within 7 days and was told too late! .... because they also said 14 days from "pre-order" or "delivery" whichever is the earlier.
happymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 03:17   #14

Boat: Herman Boro 50Ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymax View Post
I will warn you guys of one thing.... Sailtimer offers a ... peace of mind no questions asked 14 day refund policy. I paid for mine in November 2018, received it in February 2018, requested refund within 7 days and was told too late! .... because they also said 14 days from "pre-order" or "delivery" whichever is the earlier.
Yes I found that out as I am having issues too
rosco4271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 16:17   #15

Boat: Farrier F9rx

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymax View Post

whoops ...order was November 2017 ...delivery Feb 2018 ...refund request was 7 days after DELIVERY
happymax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, rum, sail, wind