Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2013, 08:37   #1

Boat: Hunter Legend 35.5
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 3G Int'l Version

Any advice appreciated on pros/cons of buying as a toy to backup chartplotting/GPS - this Samsung tablet product described below or an IPAD.

Thnx

[COLOR=#CC6600 !important]

Product Description

3G Network HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100, Dimensions 256.7 x 175.3 x 8.9 mm GENERAL 2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 3G Network HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 BODY Dimensions 256.7 x 175.3 x 8.9 mm Weight 583 g - Touch-sensitive controls DISPLAY Type PLS TFT capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors Size 800 x 1280 pixels, 10.1 inches (~149 ppi pixel density) Multitouch Yes SOUND Alert types Vibration, MP3 ringtones Loudspeaker Yes, with stereo speakers 3.5mm jack Yes MEMORY Card slot microSD, up to 32 GB Internal 16/32/64 GB storage, 1GB RAM DATA GPRS Class 12 (4+1/3+2/2+3/1+4 slots), 32 - 48 kbps EDGE Class 12 Speed HSDPA, 21 Mbps; HSUPA, 5.76 Mbps WLAN Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct, dual-band, Wi-Fi hotspot Bluetooth Yes, v3.0 with A2DP USB Yes, v2.0 CAMERA Primary 3.15 MP, 2048x1536 pixels, autofocus, LED flash Features Geo-tagging Video Yes, 1080p@30fps Secondary Yes, 2 MP FEATURES OS Android OS, v4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) CPU Quad-core 1.4 GHz Sensors Accelerometer, gyro, compass Messaging SMS(threaded view), MMS, Email, Push Email, IM Browser HTML, Adobe Flash Radio No GPS Yes, with A-GPS / S-GPS (WiFi version) support Java Yes, via Java MIDP emulator Colors Black - SNS integration - MP4/DivX/Xvid/FLV/MKV/H.264/H.263 player - MP3/WAV/eAAC+/Flac player - Organizer - Image/video editor - Photoshop Touch app - Document editor/viewer - Google Search, Maps, Gmail, YouTube, Calendar, Google Talk, Picasa integration - Voice memo/dial - Predictive text input (Swype)

[/COLOR]
jmo2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 08:57   #2

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW
Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 3G Int'l Version

i have the same model minus the 3g wotks great as a backup
Old 27-12-2013, 09:40   #3

Boat: Hunter Legend 35.5

Thanks Michael

I have looked at the threads here, need to learn to use either an IPAD or Android and I believe this one with 3G should work when I travel internationally as I wanted an all-purpose device that I can use with different pay as you go plans. For the USA, I already have a T-Mobile broadband flash drive for connectivity when not able to use wifi.
Does the GPS work without being connected? If you have time and can you PM me with info on the GPS that would be great as this is my first tablet purchase and haven't used an android.
jmo2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 09:47   #4

Boat: csy 37

we have a Samsung galaxy tablet and just installed MyNOAACharts on it. it's a great little navigation program that NOAA is releasing to the general public. AND it has a facility to download all of the NOAA charts.

AND, it's FREE. just go to the google play store and search for it. install it, then go to the menu and download all the FREE chart areas that interest you. I've downloaded the east coast u.s.a. the Samsung has a built in gps, just make sure you go to settings and turn it on. you should also install a mini-sd card to store all the charts.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 16:28   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

> just installed MyNOAACharts on it

Only available in the US. When I looked at it it told me that I couldn't download it.

If you are looking at international charts, it's worth paying for the appropriate Navionics apps ( I have NZ/Aus and Asia/Africa).

And yes, GPS works whether you have an internet connection or not.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 18:23   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
>Only available in the US. When I looked at it it told me that I couldn't download it.
I should have known that, being NOAA it was USA specific. Its also tablet only. I tried to put it on my samsung galaxy smartphone and it wouldnt even show it to me on the playstore. Samsung galaxy tablet, no problem...
Old 27-12-2013, 18:41   #7

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

Samsung tab is awesome. Suggest an otterbox for above deck excursions.MXMARINER has some international charts.
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 18:31   #8

Boat: Wildcat 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
> just installed MyNOAACharts on it

Only available in the US. When I looked at it it told me that I couldn't download it.
This app is available in some regions outside the US (though obviously not all, as some have said). I am in Canada and I was able to install it on my Note 10.1
DavidLGCrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 18:33   #9

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW

i installed it as well but maps seem to only be available for US
Old 09-01-2014, 14:09   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmrc View Post
i installed it as well but maps seem to only be available for US
that is correct - but also includes 'offshore' usa like puerto rico, hawaii, usvi, and pacific islands.

i also forgot to mention that it will also download all or any of the coast pilots, which can then be referenced on the chart.