Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2019, 02:59   #16

Boat: Oday 25
Re: sandy hook to cape may but gail coming in

Wind gusts Thurs for NYC area are 50 mph
ebsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 06:45   #17

Boat: Maine Cat 38

AIS shows a large fleet left Sandy Hook and Atlantic Highlands Monday morning. Some were clearly power boats who motored steadily at 8 to 11 knots arriving in the Cape May area in late afternoon.

Snokid planned to buy fuel then depart, so specifically looking for boats departing Atlantic Highlands between 8 and 9 am I decided to track two boats that left in this time range and cruised 4 to 5 knots. I suspect these might be sailboats moving in the light winds forecasted. These two boats passed Barnegat Light Inlet in late afternoon, and then were offshore of the Atlantic City inlet well after dark. At 6 am one of the two yachts was no longer on AIS, leaving only the yacht "Scoot" to track, and this boat was approaching Cape May. For Scoot it will be 22 to 23 hours from Atlantic Highlands to Cape May. I don't know the crew of Scoot, nor do I have reason to link Snokid to Scoot, other than a Scoots departure being similar to what Snokid had planned.

Twenty two hours of slow ocean cruising could be a complete pleasure for a boat with enough crew to trade watches. Snokid did indicate single handling, which after 22 hours would be a very long slog. I see other boats making the same journey over night that are covering the coast in 16 to 18 hours, which likely required motoring at least part of the way.

Windfinder suggests winds are improving for sailing this morning and coming from the north east, before swinging east in the late afternoon. This wind will be helpful to finish the New Jersey coast or ride up Delaware Bay. In Delaware Bay the forecast winds look ok until about 8 pm Wednesday with the full gale passing off shore Wednesday evening through Thursday. The gale is forecast to impact the coast, but forecast conditions up Delaware Bay and through the C&D canal are much less of a concern.

I hope Snokid is doing well having a pleasant cruise. There appears ample time to rest along the way and still be clear of the storm.
Old 15-10-2019, 15:52   #18

Boat: Beneteau 38 first

I'm safe and sound!

I have one of those socks on my jib but for some reason it's stuck messed with it for an hour then gave up. couldn't leave till 9:30 passed atlantic city around 11 felt good so I kept going. The last couple of hours were tuff for sure!

I did the overnight to Cape Henlopen!

Wind was on the nose most of the day so lots of iron genny time!
I don't have AIS yet the admiral is bringing it with her November 1st when she meets up with me.

looks like I'm leaving 4 am riding the tide up.
I have 2 places picked out for tomorrow.
Chesapeake City & Worton Creek

Thank you everyone I feel much better being set up for the next leg.

Bob
Sv Guppy
snokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 16:00   #19

Boat: Bristol 29.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by snokid View Post

We rode out a gale warning last fall in Worton Creek. We went up the creek as far as our draft allowed, and although we could hear the wind through the trees there was hardly a ripple on the water.

On the other hand, Chesapeake City is a tight anchorage and the only place we’ve dragged (along with a few other people at the same time) in almost 14 months of cruising.

I’m sure you can guess which one we’d pick.

Safe travels.
Old 15-10-2019, 16:45   #20

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
I did the overnight to Cape Henlopen!

/snip/

looks like I'm leaving 4 am riding the tide up.

Congratulations Bob! I suspect you'll sleep well inside the breakwaters at Cape Henlopen. Watch the icebreakers to the North as you exit. You won't want to be over there anyway.

The day will be advanced before you get through the C&D Canal. For the record, when traversing the C&D Canal at night the biggest issue is on exit. The lighting in the C&D is so good that you have to give yourself time to regain dark adaptation in your eyes. It is worth slowing down a bit, being sure you have picked up the marks by eye and radar if you have it, and watching carefully for traffic in front and behind you.

Sleep well and have a good trip up the Bay.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 16:59   #21

The only reason I have marked Chesapeake city is the town dock but if its full then its off to Worton creek if the wind isn't too bad. otherwise looks like 2 other pricier docks in Chesapeake city worst case.
Predictwind is showing the strong wind starting around 11am-12 so we will see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthoops View Post
We rode out a gale warning last fall in Worton Creek. We went up the creek as far as our draft allowed, and although we could hear the wind through the trees there was hardly a ripple on the water.

On the other hand, Chesapeake City is a tight anchorage and the only place we’ve dragged (along with a few other people at the same time) in almost 14 months of cruising.

I’m sure you can guess which one we’d pick.

Safe travels.
Old 16-10-2019, 05:33   #22

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
The only reason I have marked Chesapeake city is the town dock but if its full then its off to Worton creek if the wind isn't too bad. otherwise looks like 2 other pricier docks in Chesapeake city worst case.

Predictwind is showing the strong wind starting around 11am-12 so we will see.

What do you draw? Chesapeake city is pretty shallow on the dock side of the basin
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 06:24   #23

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Looks like he draws ~7'. We've gone back into Worton w/our 6.5' draft and we were told we were brave for even attempting it. If you can get back there, its not a bad hole.
Alternatively possibly do Still Pond (just N of Worton). There is a decent size bowl at the mouth of Churn Creek on the S. side. Offers good protection for most winds except from the N/NE and decent depth to tuck in.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 07:23   #24

Chesapeake City was thoroughly dredged last year.
Old 16-10-2019, 07:38   #25

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Chesapeake City was thoroughly dredged last year.

What is the depth now in the basin?

Edit: Found a survey map after the dredge and the depths look good. https://www.chesapeakecity-md.gov/wp...y2-22-18-1.pdf

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 09:26   #26

We anchored in the Elk River at Ford's Landing upon exiting the canal. Very well protected and quiet. It was a good stop after transiting the Delaware Bay and C&D Canal, we were both pretty tired.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 10:54   #27

Quote:

Remember us when you settle down tonight. Inquiring minds want to know. I'm doing weather for three boats heading North and I'm seeing weather getting sporty early hours of Thursday morning up by Sandy Hook, a couple hours later in the upper Delaware and upper Chesapeake. Trying to talk my guys out of Liberty Landing to wait for the tidal current in the East River and get them to One 15 in Brooklyn instead.
Old 16-10-2019, 10:55   #28

I once spent three days at anchor in the Cohansey River during 40kt winds in the Delaware. Was very comfortable. A good bailout. Holding is excellent and no fetch to build any chop. The marsh seems to drop the wind speed at least 10kts.

Unless the wind is very high, you’ll swing with the current but I didn’t budge. Not a good place if your anchor has trouble resetting..

I anchored on the 2nd turn. Didn’t go up as far as the marina so don’t know what it’s like.

I consider Barnegat a fine bailout in day light. Entrance is easy except in an Easterly 20kn+ (in which case you would never have left Sandy Hook). Radio TowBoat on your way in and they’ll guide you to the anchorage. Very nice guy.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 11:38   #29

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

My goto anchorage when I come out of the C&D is the Sassafras River. Easy to get into at night, and you can go to the north or south shore depending on which direction the weather is coming from. That is with a boat that draws 8 ft.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 17:57   #30

I made it to Worton creek The anchorage outside isn't protected from the wind. Up river as far as I could go was pretty full. I'm at a marina they had a couple of balls open, no way I can grab one by myself. tied or should I say blown to the fuel dock for at least tonight, everyone has gone home for the night, will deal with that in the morning.