Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 19:35   #406

Re: Schooner Nina - MERGED 3 THREADS

I loved Bounty. I sailed her, and loved her captain and her crew. I am experiencing her loss now all over again. Waiting, waiting, for news, while total lubbers had a holiday airing their inane opinions garnered from hours and hours of watching movies and TV.

This doesn't make the waiting any easier. We can't stop this, but we can stop it here. Let's open up some other threads for the chatter. In this thread, what the friends and families need to hear is word from Nina.
Old 06-07-2013, 20:28   #407

That's just it--we don't know what happened--nobody does. But I understand--some people simply cannot help themselves.
Old 06-07-2013, 20:45   #408

Boat: Mac 26X

After this thread is closed (soon) please family start another when/if you get news. I'm so tired of never hearing anymore info after idiots screw it up.
Old 06-07-2013, 21:02   #409

Please guys, this thread has nothing to do with other boat, it's about the missing souls on Nina, so let's keep extremist views and religion etc out of it. There is no such thing as the perfect skipper, crew or ships cat.
So let's hope that Nina has not joined Davy Jones.....xx
Old 06-07-2013, 21:17   #410

Boat: Lyle Hess 32

As a new member I've been so impressed by the civility, thoughtfulness and supporting nature of this thread to date. I feel like it would be a great pity if it was either closed or descended into invective and speculation.

Through chance, this has become a thread where the Families of Nina have come to discuss the state of play and to solicit and provide information. It has worked incredibly well at that. I hope it can continue.

When sad things like this happen, it is our natural instinct to try to find an explanation, to try to determine what has happened. It also brings out opinion that is often wide of the mark.

Can we please try to go on as we have for the majority of this thread and keep it focused on real information and perhaps use some other avenue for discussion and speculation?

My two bob's worth from a very new member.
Old 06-07-2013, 23:01   #411

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryon View Post
Let's open up some other threads for the chatter. In this thread, what the friends and families need to hear is word from Nina.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelorus32 View Post
As a new member I've been so impressed by the civility, thoughtfulness and supporting nature of this thread to date. I feel like it would be a great pity if it was either closed or descended into invective and speculation.

Through chance, this has become a thread where the Families of Nina have come to discuss the state of play and to solicit and provide information. It has worked incredibly well at that. I hope it can continue.

When sad things like this happen, it is our natural instinct to try to find an explanation, to try to determine what has happened. It also brings out opinion that is often wide of the mark.

Can we please try to go on as we have for the majority of this thread and keep it focused on real information and perhaps use some other avenue for discussion and speculation?
+1
This thread has brought out the best in CF - the sailing community rallying when ones of their own are in trouble.

Many freinds and family of the crew have joined CF for information and support. Please let's just try and provide these two on this thread.

When we hear news of Nina, then another thread can be started for discussion, so (as Mark pointed out) we can all learn from the experience.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Old 06-07-2013, 23:27   #412
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

I will remain quietly confident until proof of sinking / disaster is presented or say another 3 months have elapsed without any evidence of their survival.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 06-07-2013, 23:34   #413

Boat: John Spencer Salient ,11.7m Uncle Arthur

Look you can bag the ex Mayor for stating views that are hard to take but i'm sure that a lot of people on this site are of the same mind .My heart goes out to the friends and family of yacht Nina , but you are on a sailing thread where experience is forthcoming both positive and negative . the hardest thing for you i'm sure is not knowing ! hopefully this will be solved in the coming weeks one way or the other.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:28   #414

Boat: Dufour 35

Here is an idea from "Antarctic Pilot" over at the ybw Scuttlebutt forum, that is worth consideration.

Quote:
AntarcticPilot

Just a thought. A satellite borne Synthetic aperture radar (SAR) ought to be able to see a yacht of this size, especially if she's moving (wakes show up well on SAR images). There are several satellites that routinely acquire SAR (ESA's ERS-2 and Envisat missions, the Italian Cosmo-SkyMed mission, the Canadian Radarsat-2 mission and the German TerraSAR-X and TanDEM-X missions). I presume the search and rescue authorities have checked the images, which are routinely acquired? It isn't good enough that you could say that lack of a target on the images means she's sunk, but finding a target in the right area would obviously be a good sign.
Is this kind of "satellite search" something that RCC NZ have done or considered?

Thomas
Old 07-07-2013, 02:02   #415

Boat: Brooke Cutter 38

I've wondered the same thing about satellites. We're always hearing about crowds of satellites up there - you'd think some of them might be filming across the Tasman. We get regular pictures of cloud patterns etc. and we know that some satellites have cameras capable of achieving great surface detail. I wonder whether it's possible to task a satellite with scanning the Tasman and then running the 'footage' through a computer to find objects? There aren't very many objects in the Tasman.

In case it's not immediately obvious to all, I should point out that I know almost nothing about satellites!

Still waiting and hoping for news here.

Rick
Old 07-07-2013, 02:29   #416
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I will remain quietly confident until proof of sinking / disaster is presented or say another 3 months have elapsed without any evidence of their survival.
+1

I too have been pondering over what timescale would be realistic / appropriate, I think another 3 months is a fair one - and perhaps useful for family / friends to keep in my mind? Boats always involve a lot of preparing for the worst whilst hoping for / expecting the best.

Obviously as time moves on (with no news or arrival) the likelihood of a good outcome decreases, but nonetheless even with no masts and no power on a boat the size of Nina (and being of wood construction) they have quite a few options to wait things out (to reach shore themselves or more likely to make contact with another vessel). Being in temperate waters means fresh water won't be an issue (easy to capture rainwater on a sailing boat), and even if no fishing gear onboard plenty of chance (and time) to improvise to supplement existing food stocks.

Plenty of lessons to be learnt already (even if none new - or are only things for folks to consider / be aware of rather than solutions for every eventuality), but I agree that this thread not the one for that.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:09   #417

This thread is for assimilation of information for the finding the Nina and the crew.

This is not a thread to critique NZ, the crew or the Nina. Please start your own.

Remember a vigil for the crew, family and schooner Nina will be Panama City, Fla. Thursday July 11, 8pm at the St Andrews Marina.

Fair winds, Cherie
Old 07-07-2013, 06:09   #418

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend of Nina View Post
Those near Panama City, Fla. They will have a vigil for the Nina July 11th at the St. Andrews Marina. 8pm

Cherie
I am in NC now, but would like to attend.

Any boat, ANY boat has some potential weakness.... The voices from the shore (and sadly some Internet commandos) will always say what they would do.... But none of them are there.

Blessings to the good ship Nina, and her crew. May she return safe with all aboard. Let us honor her by continuing to hope, and by preparing our own ships as best we can.

For any who might feel compelled to cast stones, please remember we are ALL subject to those unexpected things if 'down to the Sea in ships' we go.

Peace,
Old 07-07-2013, 06:21   #419

I have sent an email to New Zealand Rescue, will let you know there reply.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:03   #420

Boat: Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Here is an idea from "Antarctic Pilot" over at the ybw Scuttlebutt forum, that is worth consideration.

Is this kind of "satellite search" something that RCC NZ have done or considered?

Thomas
Only a few of these would have the spatial resolution necessay (<10m would be best) and they would have needed to be tasked to look at this area during this time because they don't generally do continuous collection - none at night really. Someone would need to contact the varous companies to ask if they had imagery taken at a specific time and place where Nina's whereabout were known and see what collections were available along their presumed route. I could contact DigitalGlobe to ask about high res visible images (not SAR) from this area if available.

My thought are with the Nina and her crew.
Closed Thread