Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 16-07-2013, 09:53   #586

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina
Re: Schooner Nina - MERGED 3 THREADS

Please excuse my ignorance about this subject (satelite imaging). Is the problem centered around the idea that oceans are scanned at a much lower resolution? I guess that's whats being said, because I can easily see my little compact car in my driveway via google earth.
Old 16-07-2013, 10:33   #587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Hutch View Post
Please excuse my ignorance about this subject (satelite imaging). Is the problem centered around the idea that oceans are scanned at a much lower resolution? I guess that's whats being said, because I can easily see my little compact car in my driveway via google earth.

Yes that's exactly it. Satellites don't do detailed images over open ocean as there is little out there of interest generally...under situations like this detail and regular updates would be beneficial but logistically improbable under normal conditions which is a shame
Old 16-07-2013, 12:39   #588

Quote:
Hutch I don't know!!
That's interesting about google earth but wonder if satellite coverage not as good over the sea???

Cherie
Old 16-07-2013, 12:46   #589
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Schooner Nina - MERGED 3 THREADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend of Nina View Post
Hutch I don't know!!
That's interesting about google earth but wonder if satellite coverage not as good over the sea???

Cherie
Now your assuming satellites actually cover that area 24/7...
Why should they.. there's no threat to the US down there... also most GE images are 2 or more years old.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Old 16-07-2013, 12:48   #590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend of Nina View Post
Hutch I don't know!!

Cherie
Sadly it isn't as per my previous post. However these images Cherie has obtained might be better.
I'm only a naval officer so sadly its a little out of my expertise all the techy stuff. I'm hoping 70ft will show up nicely on the resolution obtained
Old 16-07-2013, 12:53   #591

As per what I've previously said. ..
The images obtained by cherie are recent and proven dated recent.
They will be of more use than google earth which are not current as it is not logistically possible for satellites to monitor open ocean with little or no interest on any regular basis.

Maybe I should have posted more than I have but I would like to be involved in reviewing images if my help would be apprecaited.
Old 16-07-2013, 13:28   #592

Boat: Steel Swain 36 Cutter
Unhappy Re: Schooner Nina - MERGED 3 THREADS

I haven't tried it yet but there is info on a free Geotiff viewer here:

New Free Stand-Alone MRSID Imagery Viewer/Exporter From LizardTech

http://www.lizardtech.com/downloads/category/#viewers

I hate to say it but I think 22m per pixel is going to be a problem. I tried to see an oil rig on a similar resolution sat photo once and it was almost impossible to see, even though it was in a fixed spot with a known latitude and longitude and I could zoom right in to it. It just showed as a slight blurring of color in the photo.

I really wish I could be more constructive.....
Old 16-07-2013, 14:54   #593

Boat: Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Perhaps the source image can be split, so that it gives tiles sized so that a less than commercial grade machine can be used to view them. Remember pcx.

Is 22m per pixel enough to find a sailboat?

b.
A 22m pixel is over 70ft^2. A boat the size of Nina (60-70ft) would not be indentifiable with this imagery. The pixel may be slightly brighter than surrounding pixels but no real shape could be seen. To give reference, Google Earth images where you can see boats in a marina have a spatial resolution of 2-4m^2 and even then it can be hard to tell. We really need images with resolution of 10m or less to try target detection or visual identification.

Additionally, the images have a high percentage of cloud cover making ID more difficult.

I would be happy to provide what I have if there is a place to upload but it is my opinion that these images are not adequate for what is needed.
Old 16-07-2013, 14:57   #594

Boat: Leopard 40
Quote:
Yes, for the most part. Companies that provide high resolution images generally look at land. There just is no real commercial business for acquiring images over ocean and the data storage requirements are huge. You can purchase images tasked to look virtually anywhere you like, but it can be quite expensive. Then you need to know what to do with them, adding to the expense.
Old 16-07-2013, 15:23   #595

Do we have any contacts in the military? The Tasman Sea is fairly high, or low depending on your perspective, from the Equator. Polar satellites, which are mostly military, could be useful in this area.

Also, we might be searching for a bow wake, at least in earlier images. Or for debris, however you detect that.
Old 16-07-2013, 16:17   #596

Boat: Lyle Hess 32

I had said that I would seek an FTP site, however after discussion with Cherie off-line I'd parked that awaiting events.

I've taken action this morning to see if I can secure something temporary and I'll report back when I hear.
Old 17-07-2013, 01:25   #597

Boat: Lyle Hess 32
OK I have secured free FTP. I need to know data storage requirements - let's not underestimate - and any other requirements. ShaktiGurl can you help there.

Cherie, the guys offering this will also blog about this to their community if we want. It's a large international tech community and they'd love to help in any way they can. Is there anything we need?

Regards
Mike
Old 17-07-2013, 11:26   #598

Yes please do. Looks like aerial search Thurs. Aussie time and possibly Friday.

Wootton's unsuccessful for their imagery they wanted to get.

Cherie
Old 17-07-2013, 14:39   #599

Update!!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1022788853.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	287.0 KB
ID:	64222

May they have great news !!

Cherie
Old 17-07-2013, 19:47   #600

Hello, First post here ... Are you guys looking for something similar to this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2044515585.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	64227
Closed Thread