Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2018, 06:47   #1

Boat: PDQ, Capella 36 catamaran
SEA iq - pulling hair out!

After reading a post raving about SEA IQ ... the 5 dollar version was installed on my Apple 9.7 tablet successfully. Now I've had various GPS systems over the years so I'm not a rookie.

How do you get SEA IQ to show where you are? It's almost a default on any other downloadable program that has been on this tablet but this one will not do it! It does show the proper map of our location OK but does not have the "ping" of our boat.

What am I doing wrong here? Almost embarrassed to ask this seemingly simple question ... yes I've gone thru the PDF instructions, yes it's been removed and re-installed. The tablet has "onboard GPS" that's why I bot it and yes GPS is turned on.
Spartanacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 07:40   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: SEA iq - pulling hair out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanacus View Post
After reading a post raving about SEA IQ ... the 5 dollar version was installed on my Apple 9.7 tablet successfully. Now I've had various GPS systems over the years so I'm not a rookie.

How do you get SEA IQ to show where you are? It's almost a default on any other downloadable program that has been on this tablet but this one will not do it! It does show the proper map of our location OK but does not have the "ping" of our boat.

What am I doing wrong here? Almost embarrassed to ask this seemingly simple question ... yes I've gone thru the PDF instructions, yes it's been removed and re-installed. The tablet has "onboard GPS" that's why I bot it and yes GPS is turned on.
When the software was installed it should ask you for permission for “Location” or ‘Your Location” or something like that.

If you did not click “OK” when that dialog box popped up initially, the software does not know where you are. I made this mistake myself, as I was in a hurry to check out the software (free download) and I forgot to go back to OK location later when I downloaded the charts.

Simple Fix: Go to your SETTINGS on your iPad. Look down the list of applications you have on your iPad and find SEAiq. Click on that. Look for Location Services under SEAiq. Check the box (move slider) for SEAiq to enable it to use your location (I chose “While using the app.”)

As I recall that is all it takes.

I recently used SEAiq on my iPad while on a 1,750 offshore voyage. I found it easy to use, accurate (using my iPad internal GPS) and I used information contained in the Waterway Guide notes to inform (and caution) the owner/captain of the boat about inlet conditions (he had never entered the inlets along that part of the coast). It also functioned well, even when the boat’s primary nav system (Raymarine chartplotter) was acting up.

I also monitored the boat’s location using both Raster and Vector charts. I am using vector charts because of the embedded info (Waterway Guide and more).
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 07:25   #3

Boat: PDQ, Capella 36 catamaran
Re: SEA iq - pulling hair out!

Thanks for input - something must have been wrong from the load.
Settings did not show a "location" for SEAIQ
Removed again and reinstalled with new maps and it found me.

Worked while on 7 day free look ... after I told Apple App that it was paid for, I was missing in action again, so there is something about paying they don't like?

now that this is known we'll find the problem.
Spartanacus is offline   Reply With Quote