Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2021, 18:31   #136

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom
Re: Seen various people say to never use a phone/tablet for navigation. Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Giles View Post
I like to put a pencil mark on a chart and then look out and take soundings to confirm what the chart says. I really do not like the idea of my phone being the device to save me running into a rock.

At least if you have charts and maintain an hourly log then the worst that can happen is you are 59 minutes from your last known position. Given your course, speed, tides and leeway you can know pretty much exactly where you are and not heading for a sunken rock.
Me too,, that said, if I wanted a tablet to use on a boat, for me their would be no other choice but a Sonim RT80.
Compared to Sonim everything else is too fragile and delicate for on-deck boat use.
Bowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 10:09   #137

Above and beyond what has been said positively and negatively noone I saw brought up the question of the actual charts being up to date or...the local soundings accurate...you may get your position plotted reasonably well but find yourself in some veeery skinny water. In my area's case following most charts offered online would result in cutting across an 8
acre sand spit. The greatest danger in the cockpit is the infirm assumption your charts are "accurate" a topic one can (and should) study for many winter nights before cruising and plenty after your many daysails....Charts are guides Not Facts though many times reliable one northeaster can change the bottom profile of
many embayments, channels, inlet, etc....as you train on your boat, avoid reliance on the toys and learn the limitations of your tools (eyes, mind, ears, nose plus the most current charts and electronics. Check where your eyes are: on the water or on the idiot box? I see people with 50' boats blasting ahead with their eyes in the plotter nearly running people over or cutting corners on actuall markers while churning sand...
Seacod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 10:36   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
Me too,, that said, if I wanted a tablet to use on a boat, for me their would be no other choice but a Sonim RT80.
Compared to Sonim everything else is too fragile and delicate for on-deck boat use.
I have my iPad under the dodger in a bracket attached to the frame of the dodger. No problem at all. If it is pouring rain where it is not advisable to use I’m not near shore so it can be stowed away. If I near shore I’m usually not near shore so I’ll take a layday and continue another day. If I am caught I have a small handheld GPS to give me guidance.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 10:39   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacod View Post
Above and beyond what has been said positively and negatively noone I saw brought up the question of the actual charts being up to date or...the local soundings accurate...you may get your position plotted reasonably well but find yourself in some veeery skinny water. In my area's case following most charts offered online would result in cutting across an 8
acre sand spit. The greatest danger in the cockpit is the infirm assumption your charts are "accurate" a topic one can (and should) study for many winter nights before cruising and plenty after your many daysails....Charts are guides Not Facts though many times reliable one northeaster can change the bottom profile of
many embayments, channels, inlet, etc....as you train on your boat, avoid reliance on the toys and learn the limitations of your tools (eyes, mind, ears, nose plus the most current charts and electronics. Check where your eyes are: on the water or on the idiot box? I see people with 50' boats blasting ahead with their eyes in the plotter nearly running people over or cutting corners on actuall markers while churning sand...
First let me say yes and no. My iPad is updated regularly when I’m out sailing. It as with any GPS should be used with caution and as a GUIDE only. Nothing is better than reading the water and knowing where you are.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2022, 21:50   #140

Boat: 40' custom catamaran

Does Navionics run on the Sonim RT80 mentioned above?
Kit_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2022, 22:51   #141

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit_L View Post
Does Navionics run on the Sonim RT80 mentioned above?
In my post I used the word "If".
I don't have one of those RTs, but the Sonim phone runs Navionics and I would not expect anything less on an RT, but my uses are casual. I would prefer a tablet for screen size.
Give them a call, they're easy to talk to. The phones are not toys for the slicked hair crowd, but they fit well with bush pilots/sailors/military.
Old 01-04-2022, 00:18   #142

Boat: 40' custom catamaran

@Bowdrie: I understood your "if" to mean, "if I were to use a tablet...". No misunderstanding there. If the Sonim phone runs Navionics, I'd be surprised if the tablet didn't. I will call, and report back (next week). Thanks for replying.
Kit_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation, phone