Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2020, 15:54   #1

Boat: 40 ft Van Dine Custom Gaffed rigged Schooner
Ship’s log iPhone apps?

I had quite a bit of windshield time today and as often happens my mind drifted to things sailing. I should have known better than to wonder “are there any apps out there that I could use on my sailboat for my ship’s log”?; since there seems to now be multiple apps for everything.

Actually, my first step was to look up to see if an electronica log is considered legal and I learned that it is. I just got home and decided to look in the App Store and there are multiple options. I haven’t started trying to differentiate between them yet however I was hoping some of you fine folks might have utilized one or some and could comment on what works well and what should be ignored? I’m thinking it would be ideal if there was one that I could use the dictaphone button to verbally express log entries and have the app put each entry in as a new one while also listing the time in 24 nautical time. Does such an animal exist? At this point in my life I am almost always single handing so this would come in handy.

Thanks in advance
Tatheelrod22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 02:06   #2

Re: Ship’s log iPhone apps?

I played with Logbook Suite by Y2K yachting on the ipad last year. It is feature packed, almost to the point of being too detailed.
I think an iphone version is available as Logbook and anchor alarm. but, that seems to be a paid for app. I'm sure the one I have was free.
Jontysutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 02:15   #3
Marine Service Provider

Re: Ship’s log iPhone apps?

http://nebo.global/

Nebo is a great one. Logs your trip for you providing weather and any images you take. You can see other boats on the map also. The great loop rally uses it I believe.
Herreshoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 15:56   #4

pirate Re: Ship’s log iPhone apps?

There's a good digital logbook solution called www.sealogs.com which is quite good. It works on a google chrome browser but I think they have a app coming. It records things like crew sea time, maintenance, and trip reports which is why we use it.
kykytee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iphone, phone