Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2022, 15:35   #16

Boat: Other people's boats
Re: Simplified solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
(And have you ever looked at the ZOCs (Zones of Confidence) on a paper chart?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
I'm aware that many paper charts are laughably inaccurate.
In case it's not clear to others, electronic charts also have ZOC info. But, as Benz mentioned the little icon can lead you down a primrose path.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 16:18   #17

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean5ail5 View Post
And if whole system breakdown there will also be no gps so will need all my 25+ years maritime experience LOL.
That are the nice thing I like about Tablet backup battery if ever you have a total system breakdown.
Vessel will defiantly have multiple sources of power.
More likely your tablet decides to download an update in port, background-install it as you're sailing out, and then suddenly become incompatible with your nav software once you're miles at sea and happen to restart the app. Or something like that...

It sounds like you're limited on cost and tech skills, but have traditional nav skills. This is workable, but is also the modern equivalent of not knowing how to plot a fix: You'll probably get around just fine by eyeballing things, but eventually that lack of nav training may come back to bite you.

There are two low-to-moderate cost options that come to mind: OpenCPN on Android and iSailor on refurb'd iPads. Assume you'll pay a small but reasonable amount over time to obtain charts for each region. Neither app offers particularly useful/intuitive traditional plotting tools, meaning the risk of using them in poorly-charted waters is greatly magnified. (This is part of why people so often want satellite pics).

I suggest taking some time to experiment with at least one; the cost of that is quite minimal.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 22:32   #18

Thanks everyone for your input.

So from a budget and and safety perspective I will be taking the following route probably.

1. For Laptop OpenCPN (Very unfortunate that I lost all my CM93 charts from old maxsea when laptop were stolen nice for coverage for Africa charts)
2. For tablet Looks like Navionics will be best solution.
3. Paper charts if possible.

Just use all 3 in combination and mostly rely on my eyes Look Out.
ocean5ail5 is offline   Reply With Quote