Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2022, 08:53   #1

Solar Powered Clock/Watch

Of those who enjoy clock and sextant navigation, is there anyone who does not use a perpetual solar watch/clock? No batteries - EVER!
betwys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2022, 11:21   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Solar Powered Clock/Watch

Seems like a solar powered anything that must run 24 hours a day MUST have a battery in it somewhere.

Jim
Old 26-12-2022, 12:30   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Seems like a solar powered anything that must run 24 hours a day MUST have a battery in it somewhere.

Jim
Let us suppose you find your Solar Watch stops after about ten years. I imagine you might want to chuck it and buy another - the battery or supercapacitor or whatever lasts about that length of time, according to Seiko anyway. If one chose a mechanical instead, that would be time to get it to a watchmaker for service, I expect!
betwys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2022, 03:47   #4

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 41
Send a message via Skype™ to Kijit

I've had my solar watch for at least 20 years. I did have to open it up once to change the battery (or capacitor, can't remember what it was) and it is still going strong!
Kijit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2022, 05:27   #5

Boat: Sabre 28

I bought a dial, but have trouble with daylight savings time.
Old 29-12-2022, 03:28   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by betwys1 View Post
Of those who enjoy clock and sextant navigation, is there anyone who does not use a perpetual solar watch/clock? No batteries - EVER!
The most important thing in a timepiece is not it's motive force, but it's accuracy and reliability.
Best of all if it keeps perfect time, but failing that, it needs to lose or gain time at a constant rate.
Windup, battery, self-winding, solar--that's all secondary to reliable.
Old 29-12-2022, 05:52   #7

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I’ve had one, a Casio PRW 2500, for several years. It picks up a daily time impulse from Ft. Collins, Colorado, or Anthorn, U.K., to keep it accurate. The solar function is great. I can keep it in a drawer for months and the battery is still fine. I have a second Casio as a back-up. It has several functions, including a graph barometer which is actually accurate, which I’ve found helpful after a few days offshore.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2022, 08:05   #8

Boat: Tartan 3800

I use a HAQ watch that has a battery life of 30 months with an end-of-life warning that trips about a month before the battery is shot. It does not depend upon time signals from any outside source and has a practical raw accuracy (without the benefit of rating) of about +/- 30 seconds a year. I reset it whenever I move between time zones or at DST changeover. It has operated flawlessly for over three years. I take it with me when SCUBA diving. It is more than accurate enough for celestial and more accurate than any mechanical marine chronometer ever made and about as accurate as the best early 20th century pendulum clocks on land that operated at ambient air pressure rather than in a vacuum chamber. The periodic battery replacements on my watch are simple and infrequent. It was not expensive.

The various solar and kinetic powered watches still require periodic service usually about as frequently as a battery change on a good HAQ watch. I don't see the benefit.
Old 29-12-2022, 08:12   #9

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post

The various solar and kinetic powered watches still require periodic service usually about as frequently as a battery change on a good HAQ watch. I don't see the benefit.

Maybe kinetic but I have run Citizen solar watches for many years the last one is 17 years old and still going strong.
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, solar