Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2009, 15:39   #1

St Maarten to Madeira

I’m looking at an Atlantic crossing form St. Maarten to Madeira on my way to the Med. Madeira holds fond memories from my past, so I defiantly would like to spend some time enjoying the islands beauty if possible. I expect to be free to make the crossing from early April on so the timing should be at its peak. The boat sails excellent close hauled and has almost 1,000 Nautical Mile fuel range but I don’t want to burn it up. I’m wondering if anyone has sailed this and how close they were able to stay to the plotted direct course. The Med is the objective as this is a business venture. I need to be able to convince my colleague that taking a southern course won’t waste too much time and fuel so I can relive my past. The problem is that the more I look at this, the less convincing I will be, if I’m to be at all transparent. Here we go as Wes Weatheritt put it “Disguising dreams as facts!” Does anyone have some convincing information to help me along; or at least something to make it sound more reasonable? I’m looking forward to your comments.

Regards: Carmen
Messengers Song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 15:43   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
British Admiralty Routeing Charts (Pilot Charts)

Maybe this will help?.........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 16:08   #3

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
You may wish to use the free US equivalent instead, the classic read would be cornell's world cruising routes..
Old 09-12-2009, 16:21   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
I don't think World Cruising Routes covers it.

We were seriously thinking of doing it 18 months ago and should have.

It is quite do-able in everything we looked at. The route is quite direct from St Martin.

You would be opening up a new crusing route for sailors! Now that would be a first for many many years!

All the best with it!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 17:16   #5

Boat: 32' Bob Baker/Joel White Cutter (One-off wood)
Just from looking at the Pilot chart for April, if you bend your route to head a little more North in the beginning it might get you there with a little bit friendlier wind. Maybe even an L-shaped course, starting between N and NE and then shifting over to E when you come even with Madeira or maybe even going a touch North of the isle?
marujo.sortudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:59   #6

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
There's a good discussion on this over the the SSCA Discussion Board that related to someone considering the run to the Azores. Those comments apply, I think, and you'll be encouraged to think May and not April. You'll also most likely have to work for it a bit to make Gib from Madeira. Definitely get a copy of Cornell's World Cruising Routes for a good discussion.

Jack
Old 10-12-2009, 16:02   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by marujo.sortudo View Post
if you bend your route to head a little more North in the beginning it might get you there with a little bit friendlier wind. Maybe even an L-shaped course,
But that starts negating the benifit of the short course, doesnt it? As does anything within cooeee of the Azores.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 16:48   #8

Boat: 32' Bob Baker/Joel White Cutter (One-off wood)
On a sailboat, the shortest course is the one that gets you there quickest. I remember reading about a guy that did a delivery from the coast of Venezuela to southern Brazil. He ended up going about 5000 nm 'out of his way' to take the quick, comfortable route. Depends a lot on the boat too, and the wind when you actually get there. I'll put it this way, I'd take a northerly tack with as much east as I could get until I hit favorable winds and then I'd get as much east as I could. Then, repeat. If you get too far north, the winds and current should be in your favor.
marujo.sortudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 14:27   #9

Thanks, I have serious hope. The winds look great for sailing close hauled on a majority. The currents look as if we will be loosing .6-1.3 knots by sailing against them southern vs. sailing with them north. But if were sailing close hulled we could make up for that if we can maintain a fairly consistent wind. This not only looks doable; it looks logical and if I screw the trip a bit it won’t be the first time my colleague has been ticked at me and I’m certain it won’t be the last.

Thanks idpnd for the weather chart link; the answers for many questions! I have Cornell's World Cruising Routes and found that it raised as many questions as it answered; a good book, it makes you think!

Mark, I’m going to take your advice and draw a GC line right to Funchal. This was my original intension and I see your desire to ride the same line. The April I’m looking at is a year from this coming April (towards the end of the month) so you may beat me to the new route. I’m not looking to be a trail blazer but I will do my best to log and report the conditions of the passage to the forum. If it doesn’t work out I’ll tack north like Marujo mentioned and common sense would dictate. But nothing is set in stone until we pass the breakwater.

Regards: Carmen
Messengers Song is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Madeira, St Martin