Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2023, 03:42   #1

Boat: Colin Archer 42
Starlink Indonesia

Hi all!
My girlfriend and I are planning to sail our collin archer yacht from Darwin AUS to the Netherlands, the plan is to stay around Indonesia and the Mentawai islands to get some surf.
My girlfriend is a digital designer and so we are looking into the starlink options so that she can continue working at sea and at remote locations.
Starlink shows on its map that Indonesia is getting its approval in 2024, but does not specify when. Does anyone have any info on how starlink maritime behaves in area's without gov approval, or when Indonesia might open up to starlink? any info is appreciated!
Thanks
Matty.VS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2023, 17:33   #2

Boat: Outremer 55L
Re: Starlink Indonesia

In the absence of any other replies, I’ll give this a go. Really hope someone with direct experience will post. Still waiting for that kind of post on the FB Sail SE Asia group also.

My understanding is that cell phone coverage is pretty good, though of course line of sight of any towers on islands. That won’t work when passaging between islands.

Regarding Starlink plans, it is unclear whether any of the plans will work on ocean areas where the adjacent land areas are unavailable for service. Note that with the Mobile Priority plans they say “Use on the ocean or in motion is dependent on country authorisation.”
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1690244623.996969.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	296.3 KB
ID:	278651

In about 3 months we will be sailing from Australia to Indonesia and will report our experience. I expect with metered Mobile Priority data and our Australian-registered Mobile-Regional plan we will have service until we cross into Indonesian waters. We will change our registration to a Thailand address to switch our account to the respective continent.

Will metered Mobile Priority data work? Who knows, but probably not. Will switching to a Mobile-Global or Mobile Priority - 50GB allow the service to work in Indonesia? Also probably not.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2023, 18:40   #3

Boat: Boatless but working on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty.VS View Post
Hi all!
My girlfriend and I are planning to sail our collin archer yacht from Darwin AUS to the Netherlands, the plan is to stay around Indonesia and the Mentawai islands to get some surf.
My girlfriend is a digital designer and so we are looking into the starlink options so that she can continue working at sea and at remote locations.
Starlink shows on its map that Indonesia is getting its approval in 2024, but does not specify when. Does anyone have any info on how starlink maritime behaves in area's without gov approval, or when Indonesia might open up to starlink? any info is appreciated!
Thanks
Hello Matty.
We are currently cruising in Indonesia and using Starlink. It works flawlessly in and around islands but drops off in between some when far from land. You can also opt in for priority data(pay per GB) on passage between islands/countries if you wish but no need for us.
We purchased our Starlink in Australia and subscribed with the Global Roam package. Our subscription is paid in Australia. This allows you to use it everywhere globally that there is coverage.
Hope this helps. Data coverage is OK in Indo. but the speed and unlimited access of Starlink is far superior.
Alistair242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2023, 02:20   #4

Boat: Colin Archer 42

Thanks for the reply! Do you have the regular disc or the flat high performance disc? I also wonder why on the website of starlink it specifies that starlink will only be operational in indonesia starting 2024...
Matty.VS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2023, 04:42   #5

Boat: Boatless but working on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty.VS View Post
Thanks for the reply! Do you have the regular disc or the flat high performance disc? I also wonder why on the website of starlink it specifies that starlink will only be operational in indonesia starting 2024...
They probably have to be careful with what they say and don’t say officially, especially so in areas where they are yet to have an agreement.
Right now it works well. The global roam product and maritime basically work everywhere I believe(with priority data) and on “land” everywhere.

We have the V2 rectangular dish.
Alistair242 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Indonesia